Favorite puffy jacket/pants

cwoodyt87

FNG
In the market for new puffy jacket & pants. Predominantly whitetail stand hunter, but hunt mostly public land with lots of hiking so I want something very packable/lightweight. Also needs to be good for long periods w/ little activity. Synthetic, no down. What would ya'll recommend?

Note: I've looked at the Kuiu Superdown, but I'm not interested - I don't trust down, even if it is treated...

Kotaman

WKR
I've got the Sitka Kelvin pants and jacket and the KUIU Superdown...No comparision for me...KUIU hands down is warmer, packs smaller, is lighter and Super Down works. No reason to "not trust it"...The First Lite stuff intriques me, but I don't think it is as packable as the Sitka stuff.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Kryptek, Kuiu, Sitka and Firstlite all make nice puffy jackets. Of the four, I have handled all but the Kuiu synthetic. They are all quality coats.

My Kryptek Kratos packs pretty small (smaller than a gatorade bottle) and is quite warm. The Kryptek jacket does not have a hood but works well with the Cerdic hoodie or a beanie.

I haven't looked into puffy pants so I have no comment on that front.

As mentioned above, the Super down is very warm and a really good option.

When I head back east to "stand hunt" whitetails in cold weather I will be wearing the Superdown pants and jacket from KUIU because I know it works and it is super warm.

OP
cwoodyt87

cwoodyt87

FNG
I love the idea of treated down, but am skeptical. I perspire more than most, so I'm worried about moisture build-up from sweating. Along those same lines, i find i usualyl have to wash my gear more often. Anyone have any insight as to how long the drydown stuff lasts? It's tough to beat the loft/weight ratio of down...

Eagle

WKR
In the market for new puffy jacket & pants. Predominantly whitetail stand hunter, but hunt mostly public land with lots of hiking so I want something very packable/lightweight. Also needs to be good for long periods w/ little activity. Synthetic, no down. What would ya'll recommend?

Note: I've looked at the Kuiu Superdown, but I'm not interested - I don't trust down, even if it is treated...

Well, even though you said no down, and don't trust it, I'll still let you know what I use for the exact scenario you are describing. A montbell ul inner down jacket, it's extremely warm, packs down to the size of a softball and weighs less than 7 oz. I trust it because if it's raining, and I'm stand hunting, I'll have rain gear on over it. It's not quiet if worn alone, but as a layer, its perfect. I don't think it can be beat for it's compressibility/weight/warmth; but if you choose to ignore down, that's your loss.

Eagle

WKR
I love the idea of treated down, but am skeptical. I perspire more than most, so I'm worried about moisture build-up from sweating. Along those same lines, i find i usualyl have to wash my gear more often. Anyone have any insight as to how long the drydown stuff lasts? It's tough to beat the loft/weight ratio of down...

I wouldn't worry about sweating if you use the layering correctly. You should never let yourself get to the point of sweating enough to worry about that while heading in to hunt and sitting in a stand for multiple hours, that's a recipe for being chilled all day. At the temps you would need a down insulating layer, you should be able to stay cool on the walk in, otherwise, it's likely too warm to need a down/syn layer for insulation purposes. I sweat more than most myself, and because of that, I only wear a light weight (180) wool layer on the way into my stand sites unless its below 20F just to keep the sweat to a minimum. By the time my stand is hung or I'm set up and in my stand, I've cooled enough to put on my other layers.

OP
cwoodyt87

cwoodyt87

FNG
I wouldn't worry about sweating if you use the layering correctly. You should never let yourself get to the point of sweating enough to worry about that while heading in to hunt and sitting in a stand for multiple hours, that's a recipe for being chilled all day. At the temps you would need a down insulating layer, you should be able to stay cool on the walk in, otherwise, it's likely too warm to need a down/syn layer for insulation purposes. I sweat more than most myself, and because of that, I only wear a light weight (180) wool layer on the way into my stand sites unless its below 20F just to keep the sweat to a minimum. By the time my stand is hung or I'm set up and in my stand, I've cooled enough to put on my other layers.

All good points - guess I dismissed down a little prematurely :p Lot of good recommendations - thanks guys!

KMT

WKR
Mountain hardwear compressor used to be awesome. Still a nice jacket, but they are making them for people who are built like they are six months pregnant now. My arcteryx LT hoody ($200 - synthetic, light, breathes better than any jacket i have ever owned) and Eddie Bauer first ascent down hoody ($70 on sale quite often).

Anything with Primaloft One is a great insulator. Primaloft Eco is not as efficient (about 70% as much insulation for the weight as Primaloft One), but still good. How thick you want it to be depends on the rest of your clothing system. I use the REI Revelcoud jacket with 60 grams of insulation. Right now they use Primaloft Eco, but I'm fairly sure that I few years ago when I bought mine they were using Primaloft One. I got it because it was cheap and weight 12.5 oz. The Patagonia Nano Puff is a classic in this category, but most Primaloft One fill jackets in that fill range will be similar. I wear mine over a thin fleece shirt (similar thickness to the Patagonia R1), and under my shell when needed.

3633.jpg

During winter, I also bring a second puffy jacket, or belay jacket that I put over everything when I am stationary. It is way too warm to backpack with, but when I stop, I put it on to keep up my body temperature and dry out my active layers. I like the Patagonia DAS Parka. I find it is warm enough for this role down to about 0F. It is quite a bit thicker than the Revelcloud or similar jackets intended for wear while active.

1733.jpg

I would stay away from puffy pants. In my experience, they are way too warm and you will overheat quickly while backpacking. If you want them for when you are stationary, I would go with down pants because they pack much smaller (which you will have to do while moving), and will not have to deal with perspiration because you only have them on when stationary.

In the picture below I am getting some rest while climbing Mt. Washington last February. The temperature was -10F, and there was a 90 mph wind, which eventually forced me to turn back. All I was wearing on my legs were some mid weight Capeline under pants and my regular non insulated backpacking pants. My legs never felt cold. In the picture I am also wearing a much thicker down over/belay jacket, which I also remove and store while moving.

238%255B3%255D.jpg

Anyway, I'm afraid most of my answer is irrelevant to you question. :)

sdr

FNG
My favorite piece of hunting clothing is the Barney's Super Cub puffy. It is just right unless the temps are real low then I go to the Brooks Range. It has to be real cold to put on that Brooks Range from Barney's but it sure is nice.

OP
cwoodyt87

cwoodyt87

FNG
Just bought a (very) lightly used Spindrift from a fellow Rokslider - 80g Primaloft one, so it should work at least until mid-season for whitetails here in MO for stand hunting. Late season (December-January) i'll probably have to pick up a belay jacket and pants - that's when i'll probably go w/ down for warmth & packability.

Hearing a lot of good things about Brooks Range/Barneys - those will be high on my list.

Just bought a (very) lightly used Spindrift from a fellow Rokslider - 80g Primaloft one, so it should work at least until mid-season for whitetails here in MO for stand hunting. Late season (December-January) i'll probably have to pick up a belay jacket and pants - that's when i'll probably go w/ down for warmth & packability.

Hearing a lot of good things about Brooks Range/Barneys - those will be high on my list.

The Spindrift is a great one. I've been looking but haven't been able to find it anywhere in my size.

tenth1

Lil-Rokslider
I have just purchased a MH Compressor and as typical researching after the wise(sarcastic) decision. I froze my azz off this year in the brooks unintentionally staying on the top of the mountain waiting on that infamous full curl.

Getting to the point, any hunt is full of adventure and I have learned the hard way that down is a horrible way stay dry and warm.