Pictures of loaded pack animals

yama49

Lil-Rokslider
Lets show why and what we use our animals to pack!!!!
null.jpg

DSC00638.jpg

9fa0d39dc48c83ef315c1e395dd2b9ce.jpg

Greg Beck

WKR
Wow! I envy you fellas!! I love animals but never owned stock. It always looks like a ton of fun! Someday I hope to own some llamas or goats. I still love backpacking on my own legs but someday..........

madx250

FNG
Great pics guys! Love this stuff. Can't wait to get my mule back and get in the game.

LaGriz

WKR
Bitterroot Bulls,
Great shot! I love the lighting as you can feel the cold in that overcast November-like sky. The rifle scabbard low on the horse looks like a rodeo waiting to happen! I don't think I would want my rifle carried that way. I haven't been on a horseback hunt in years and this thread and pictures bring back the momories of some awesome past hunts. You just don't know what a service good stock, operated correctly can provide. It can get ugly quick when it goes the other way. I too envy folks with the lifestyle, skills, and means to hunt like this. The large loads from a mature bull or a moose would be a huge challenge to recover on foot with help. Really spells it out for the solo backpack hunter, as to what he is getting into. Now add some warm weather to the situation and you can truly see the problem!
Eye opening thread! Thanks to all for the fine pictures....keep them comeing. LaGriz

mcr-85

WKR
Great pic. Good horse and a good buck.

Thanks Robby. It is the top buck that I posted with the grey horse behind him. I ride the grey and he hates deer. He will haul elk but he won't get near a dead deer. He is also the horse with the spike bull on him. He has changed colors quite a bit over the years. He used to be a dark brown that faded to a buckskin color. Now he's grey.

That is my dad leading his old horse hauling my buck. One of my favorite pictures also. He got rid of that horse though. The horse would buck when he got in thick new growth quakies or in thick brush. He was pretty sensitive on his belly and legs and we couldn't get him to stop bucking in the thick stuff. He was a hell of a horse that had no quit in him but it wasn't worth keeping him around and having my dad or someone else get hurt.

This is my horse as a 3 year old.
young_buck.jpg

Same horse at as a 7 or 8 year old.
322654_10150340461081713_1415880864_o.jpg

Last edited:

Clarktar

WKR
Dang. Hunting with stock is a dream of mine. I hope one day I can partake. I think just learning how to pack one would be super fun. WIsh I lived in an area where there were more folks locally doing this sort of thing. Kudos to all you fellas.