Contengency Planning

PNWGATOR

WKR
This past Sunday I got out of the backcountry (backpacking for elk) and into cell range to learn my wife was hospitalized after getting bucked off of her horse. Long story short...she spent 4 days hospitalized and should make a full, but slow recovery.

My wife is a horse woman and always has been. She has more than four decades of cowgirling doing rodeo games, roping, working cattle, playing Polo and lots and lots and lots of trail hours. This past weekend she was riding her new 6 yo QH gelding when a friend riding beside her gestured, he spooked and came apart ejecting her. Totally benign moment turned into a seriously painful and scary experience. The folks she was riding with were able to get a truck to her and transport her to a place an ambulance could meet them and off to the local trauma center she went. Could have been SO much worse! We're blessed and truly thankful things are what they are.

This entire episode has me thinking... What if this had happened in the backcountry? What then? Why don't we wear helmets? Communications plan? Etc. Etc. Etc.

I work in emergency services and have extensive training and experience. What can be done to prevent experiences like this? At least to minimize the frequency and degree. That said, the logistics of backcountry emergency medical services and evacuating a causality is fresh on my mind.

Would love to hear what those more experienced in backcountry horsemanship have experienced and have planned for contengencies in the event of an accident.

wyosteve

WKR
An acquaintance of mine got mauled by a grizzly about 10 yrs. ago while out hunting. Bit a quarter size hole in his head. Anyway, to the point, he was fortunate to have a partner with him who had a cell phone and gps. They were able to call a chopper with gps coordinates and got him flown to Salt Lake City. I've taken a satellite phone to at least have in camp. I think the sat phone and a gps for exact coordinates are the best 2 options.

rayporter

WKR
i rode up on 5 horses tied to trees near a 2 ft wide stream crossing about 20 years age. there was no one around. saddles still on the animals.
i head later when we came out that one horse had flipped over backwards and landed on his rider with the saddle horn. it was a 30 mile drive to town before cell phones to get help. and a chopper could not land, so they carried him out. so yep the danger is very, very real.

the helmet thing. forget it. you aint going to make me in no way shape or form. if you are that scared of falling-- dont get on! but even if you just lead them the odds of getting kicked are pretty high. i have known 2 guys kicked in the face walking behind a horse. will a football helmet cure that?

in 50 years it will likely be a law to wear a helmet, just like cycles, but i will be gone in way less time, thank heavens. i also would not be surprised to see horseback riding banned in 50 years.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Thanks for the input. Totally agree the ability to communicate is paramount. I also get the aversion to wearing a helmet. My wife's experience got me thinking, that's all. She's got a lifetime of real horsemanship. I have a year. She got hurt despite her experience, skill set and ability to read and understand stock. Just looking for ideas on how to minimize the risk, exponentially increase the reward and to have a solid plan when things go bad.

Buddy system is a smart plan.
aside from that, maybe a PLB... but that would have to be on your person to be of value should you be thrown and unable to retrieve riding animal.

Although I can't claim to abide by this rule...... it's not a great idea to drink and ride, particularly in rough country.

Sorry to hear about your wife. Hope she has a speedy recovery.
I will say this... it's good you are thinking about this, having a plan is 90% of it.
Hunt'nFish

Last edited:

2rocky

WKR
We have done the chopper call in for an outfitter who got his shoulder dislocated by his mule 10 miles from the road. The next year the neighboring outfitter died of a heart attack in the back country. Stuff happens in remote places. Best thing is to have some first responder first aid training, a Satellite phone and the number for the S&R

When you call S&R be able to give them Lat and Long for a helicopter to land. One of our party was trying to tell the dispatcher the ridge and creek names and they had no clue. I whipped out my 1:50,000 topo map and gave them lat and long and the bird was in the air in 30 seconds.

Mean while I knew my father had prepped a landing zone and he signalled in the chopper with a silver space blanket in the wind (indicated wind direction for landing). I knew he did that from years of serving on the Volunteer Fire Dept.

Everyone in my family has had a serious accident with horses. It is not if it is when. So it is best to know how you are going to deal with
Stabilizing the patient (Airway, Breathing , Circulation)
Notifying help
Getting help to the site
Getting the patient to medical attention.

With those in mind you are prepared for nearly anything.

This winter take a Wilderness first aid class

WKR
Buy a SPOT device and a membership with the appropriate air medical service provider. I put this off for years but finally gave in. Face it, shit happens and we're not getting any younger. Like alot of folks here I hunt solo most of the time.

The spot device gives Mrs406 peace of mind when I'm gone. Even if I never need it, that alone is priceless.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
it is just a matter of time before the odds catch up with you. weather it is horses or just a tree falling on you at night- i heard the chopper go in that night.

i have been hurt several times from falls where the horse landed on my leg - minor in a way, all things considered.

in 2015 my partner broke his leg [ walking] at 9300 ft. bad break. cell phone coverage was just a hundred yards away [ straight up a sheer cliff]

i had to hike to the horses and then ride around the cliff [ 2 hours] to call rescue. they were amazing. he was in the hospital before midnight.

after that i bought an garmin inreach. it works great. i have tested it often low and high and it always works. the one time it was really needed it did work and i knew we had made contact. i carry to often when away from the house.

1signguy

WKR
Another vote for the InReach.

Satellite communication is like guns, women and lawyers. Most of the time you don't need one- But when you need one you really need one!