Any suggestions on where to buy a fully saddle mule

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
Rode today and it went great. Getting confidence back. Had a local friend who owns mules come alone to teach some etc. My mule preformed great. Going to read these last few post in a few but things are looking up!!

i would say ty evans would be a good choice,he's the young up and comer of mule trainers on national level but i think its gonna take 5k to get a good mountain mule,20 years ago i played this game u are playing right now auction mules etc.,lucky i didnt die got busted up tho,and i had a very well bred mare and bred him to the best jack i could find,and 16 yrs later ive got imho one of the greatest mules around,i can do anything off him shoot,cowboy,whatever but it didnt happen over night,but i can say he's never bucked,ran off,if he spooks just stands there,look for a well bred young one and train it yourself,if u follow steve edwards or brad camerons outline for training mules u will be amazed at where u can get without getting hurt,ive got three now that id put up against any other mules in the rockies,if you can get one trained every one after that just gets easier,but its one at a time 3 at one time is not good,and remember whos training who

IrishnId

WKR
Shaun Peterson, Max Bishop, or Ty Evans. Solid mules with a reputation for good animals. All findable on Facebook. Max is out of Paragould, AR. Probably the easiest one to get too for you.

aknorddr

FNG
A john mule should not be born until they are 10 yrs old, molly 8 years old. If the seller won't put his kids or grand kids on the mule you don't need to be on it either. Advice that I disregarded purchasing my mule - has been a frustrating and painful at times lesson.
No matter what you buy, they will change some adjusting to your place and you.
See if you can get "lessons" on the mule before buying. Go over obstacles, water, tarps, throw a rope, drag stuff, take your slicker off, herd another critter. Stress test the mule and see how he handles stress in a semi-controlled area.
Good luck on your search.

"My point to this is with mules you need to set a goal and achieve it every time. If you are going to go in and put a halter on one you can't stop because it's been 30 minutes and they're still doing laps around you. If it takes 2 hours to achieve your goal, then it takes 2 hours. Mules have this amazing ability to remember what they can get away with and if you let them get away with it once, the next time is going to be worse," -Theleo

In my opinion this is the most important thing to remember when working with mules. Well said Theleo
Oh man, I totally agree.

As with any animal, the more time you spend with them, the more trusting they are of you and the more respect they have of you.

I like to think....There's the easy way and the hard way. IMO, it's up to you to repetitously convince them to choose YOUR WAY... the easy way. But if they choose the hard way, don't give in. Keep at it and help them learn that your way is the easier than thier way.
Hunt'nFish