Pack Scales

gilaboy

FNG
I'm looking for a small scale for weighing saddlebags/packs on backcountry pack trips and considering one of the small handheld digital luggage scales with a hook. Has anyone used one of these or is it better to go with a non-digital pack scale?

wyosteve

WKR
I agree. Non-digital. I use a scale I got at a feed store for weighing at the trailer. I don't take it in the field and have found that if I lift one pannier in each hand, I can feel weight discrepancies pretty accurately. Using that method, I've never had a load so unbalanced that I had to re-do it on the way out.

Yep after a while you will know what's to heavy and what's not to heavy. Plus leaving it at the trailer isn't a problem there's always rocks to even stuff out if ur that far outa balance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a question though why are you weighing saddle bags? And packs on the trips? Is it just to see what you're carrying or other reasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotDraw?

WKR
I use a digital luggage scale from REI, LL Bean has them too. Lithium battery, so cold temps are no problem.

These scales are cheap, tiny/light and very accurate. I find it best to get one that has a metal hook on it. LL Bean's does.

I think some folks would be surprised how inaccurate their "guesses" are when they are comparing big, fully loaded/cumbersome panniers.

JL

Leave loose pop or beer near the top of the packs to move for ballast, or as stated earlier, use rocks. Never bothered using the scales, get the weight close , get it on the mule, and get down the trail. The weight alone may not be the balancing factor to begin with. If you have to packs weighing the same but one has the majority of the weight higher than the other you can still have the load roll on a pack animal.

cowboy300

WKR
I dont use a scale just give her the ole lift test when putting paniers on. Keep your heavy weight low and your loads will ride better. When loading try to pair up like weights for each side if you can. Keep an eye on it on the trail and if its slipping you can add a rock or rock it back over by hand depending on how its riding and how far you have to go. On saddle bags keep weight opposite of your rifle scabbard side. If I had to use a scale it would be a non digital for simplicity.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Some good advice on here.

I use a non-digital spring scale I bought from an outfitter's supply store. Durable and pretty dang accurate too. I've weighed a few bucks with it.

I use it always at home, but only in the backcountry if there is room. I agree you can get them close without it, but if it's handy, I'd prefer to weigh them.

And yes, weight distribution can trump exact weights, so gotta get that right too.

OP
G

gilaboy

FNG
Thanks for the advice guys. I ordered on of the cheap handheld digital scales for around $9 on Amazon and it seems to work fine based on testing around the house. It's very small and lightweight so figure to take it in and if it breaks then just guess weights by hand. Our llamas hate when their packs aren't weight balanced perfectly, hence the need for a scale.

View attachment 39590

For the horses & mules we've never weighed anything on a scale, lifting and comparing each other's estimates has been fine. And if something starts shifting on the trail, a rock or two on the high side will fix it.

For pack goats, a good spring scale is sufficient.
Hunt'nFish