Do I need to have frequent contact with my goats or lamas?

I cannot have any stock where I live. I am wondering if I buy and board goats or lamas if they will be effective pack animals for me. I have heard some need to imprint on their owners.

Regul8r1

FNG
Not sure on llamas, but I think it is best to handle the goats regularly to make sure they bond. That said, I took a friend on a pack trip with my goats. This was the first time he had ever met them. By day two, when my friend would walk out of camp, the goats would follow him, leaving me behind.

OP
MuleyFever
So on the way in to my wife's deer hunt we ran into a guy coming out with a buck and he happened to have 2 goats. Maybe he is a member here and will chime in. We stopped and talked goats with him. The goats were actually cared for by his brother and he did not have much contact with them. In talking to him I realized my misconception that the goats had to be imprinted to the owner. It is actually that the goats need to be imprinted to people and once that is done they will relate to people and follow anyone. He told me a story about how they left the goats tied up in camp one day and some people walked by and the goats got loose from the knot and followed the strangers all the way back to the trail head. So my conclusion from talking to him is that as long as the goats are taken from babies and imprinted on people they should be good to go with anyone.

colonel00

WKR
What was his name? There is a guy on here named Jake (handle is elkeaterco) and he has some pretty awesome goats he uses. If it's not the same guy, you might try sending him a PM. He's been pretty busy lately with some hunts but he's been using goats for a while I think and he would be a great resource.

OP
MuleyFever
I don't remember catching his name. He was from the Salt Lake area. I will have to contact elkeaterco. I need to contact some people on boarding costs. Does anyone board animals that would have a cost range for goats?

colonel00

WKR
Jake is in Grand Junction, CO. He doesn't board his goats necessarily, but has a friend/family member that has some space for the goats to graze. It's quite amazing how low maintenance they are really.