Please educate me

For my own curiosity, when you take pack animals into the backcountry, what are you doing with them while out day hunting? Do you leave them at camp? Are predators a concern? I have ZERO experience in this arena, so please forgive the stupid questions that are certainly obvious to you all, just trying to learn about different ways people are hunting. Thanks

Skickat från min E5823 via Tapatalk

We ride ours out of camp tie them to a tree and then hunt. Usually always have a pair otherwise the winnying and pawing of the ground when they are alone causes problems. If we are hunting close to camp we leave them in camp.
We never worry about predators we only have black bears and lions and have never had problems although a black bear trudging through camp would definitely cause some chaos. It's park of hunting with stock though. A lot of work goes into bringing stock into the back country and if you're not used to having stock or being around them I wouldn't suggest it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S
Yeah, not planning on it. But was just curious how you did it. Thanks for the info!

Skickat från min E5823 via Tapatalk

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
i bought a packable electric corral set up awhile back. i only bring a few horses with me but that thing makes life pretty easy during they day if i dont take them out. i put em in it, they get to graze and roll and fart and i get to go out hunting. wouldnt try it with a horse that didnt respect the white tape though. I highline em at night. It works out for me grazing em because my horses can flat move in hobbles.

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
I have yet to do an over nighter so this is good stuff for me. My horses respect fences (my electrobraid packs a wallop so they maintain a distance). I am not sure how my big girl would do on a highline, something I need to work on and get her used to.

I haven't had stock animals in quite a few years now. But, it is very important to educate the stock to anything your going to use. What I mean is that if your going to use an electric fence, if they don't know what one is, they will likely break through it. If your going to picket line them to a couple trees, they need to get used to a picket line, otherwise they will likely pull loose, and possibly injured. In some of the areas I have been, there have been public pastures (fenced areas to turn your animals loose in). They work nice, but it can be very important to walk the perimeter with your animals, so that they have an idea of where the fence lines are located; or they could simply start running, and bust through.

The bottom line, is that you should know your animals and have experience with stock animals...

wyosteve

WKR
What Bubblehide said is absolutely crucial. Get them accustomed to whatever system you are going to use. Personally, I picket mine by a front foot. They don't fight it when they get to the end and it allows them to graze around the radius of the pivot. Can tie them off to a tree, rock, stump, log or, if none are close by, I use some of those dog 'twist in the ground' tie outs. Since most of the force of their foot is horizontal, not vertical, they don't pull them out.

There are lots of bears in Northern BC but no issue with the horses. We always take a couple packhorses with us when out of camp hunting elk or moose. That way we get the meat back to camp rather than feeding the bears. Two stout mountain horses can pack a bull elk or moose if you bring a soft pack for a saddle with you.