Anyone go Bitless?

aggieland

WKR
Anyone use a bitless bridle .. Hackamore type or Bitless bridle by Dr. Cook.. I'm still green but for my simple trail riding and hunting trips I don't know if a bit is necessary. Then again i have never tried it and have no Idea how it would go.. Typically When I ride I take all three of my animals, a really great broke horse and two mules.
One of the Mules is typically great and the other is a little more stubborn, just curious if anyone has tried something like these. Thanks!

elkguide

WKR
I've only had one horse that I would ride bitless and she was just a very tender mouth horse. On any trail or long ride, I want to have a bit in my horses mouth

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
I've only had one horse that I would ride bitless and she was just a very tender mouth horse. On any trail or long ride, I want to have a bit in my horses mouth

Do you want the bit for control? Like I said I'm still pretty green and learning about bits etc.

elkguide

WKR
I'm one to trust my horses and give them their head in most situations BUT there are some times that I need to help them remember that I am driving and for that, I need a bit in their mouth.

Deere83

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know about mr cook but a mechanical hackamore or a small diameter bosal will definitely transfer your intentions to the horse

I'd only go bitless if my horse was soft in the face and I knew wouldn't run through the hackamore. Which could happen with a green or untrained horse not introduced to one correctly. I'd stick with traditional hackamores or even the mechanicals over the bitless bridle. Bits are a control piece that apply pressure to the horses mouth, snaffle bits tend to apply direct pressure without leverage, Where a correction or curb bit act as leverage against the roof of the mouth. Snaffles and even hackamores are used to break young horses because the pressure is "gentler". Broker horses tend to use curb bits. If you have an animal that's never had a curb bit in its mouth before you will want to introduce it extremely carefully too so you don't do damage. The horse should be able to give in the face (break at the poll when pressure is applied) and understand a basic level of collection and flex laterally in both directions before a curb is introduced. My personal philosophy is you can never have too much bit as long as your hands are soft! Any bit or hackamore can ruin a horse quickly with tough hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Logan T

WKR
I only ride in a hackamore in the mountains. A glorified halter pretty much. Makes life pretty simple and don't have to worry about reins getting broken if stepped on or the bridle coming apart. The first head gear used to train horses are halters, then hackamores, then the bridle..... so a person and horse should feel comfortable riding in a hackamore before ever moving on to the bridle.

This always depends on if ur talking to a cowboy or a buckaroo. Cowboys like to ride horses with the least amount of bit as possible, we ride all our dude horses in tom thumbs or snaffles. My roping horses I'll run a high port in my roping horses for control. A buckaroo has the mindset that a good horse has to be able to pack a heavy bit to be a good horse. To me a horse that can be ridden in a halter with no problems is a good horse. The less of a bit a horse needs the better the horse. I've ridden in halters, war bridals, hackamores, and snaffles. War bridals are very very direct pressure. I'd suggest at least a snaffle for hunting and all that. It comes down to how quiet your hands are, the more you are in a horses mouth the harder their mouths get and the more the bit you need. So the less ur in their mouth the better, but always good to have that little extra when a horse or string spooks it's all about having the control you need when it's necessary.

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
I only ride in a hackamore in the mountains. A glorified halter pretty much. Makes life pretty simple and don't have to worry about reins getting broken if stepped on or the bridle coming apart. The first head gear used to train horses are halters, then hackamores, then the bridle..... so a person and horse should feel comfortable riding in a hackamore before ever moving on to the bridle.

What type of hackamore do you use?

Logan T

WKR
What type of hackamore do you use?

It is just a simple rope hackamore.... virtually a rope halter with a long lead that is tied with reins in it. It's very simple. When I go on pack trips during the summer or rides in the fall or whenever, where I know I won't be having to tie up to an unattended tree for an extended amount of time (over 2 hours) I don't need a halter that way either.

Rereading my first post this morning, I didn't mean to sound like "thats the way 'it' should always be done". That's just my preferences. I realize i'm on horses a lot more than most people. We have had plenty of horses that need bits in their mouths for everything they do.... 99% of those horses needed the bits because they had kids or inexperienced, timid riders on them and that was the only way to get the horses to respond to what the kids and timid riders wanted-- it wasn't really a safety issue, mainly a response issue to things like eating on the trail during the ride, or sidetracking off into a meadow during the ride to graze, and then a couple of the older horses needed a bit to slow or stop them on the way home. They didn't ever try to run away or anything dangerous, but they just wanted to keep on walking once pointed home. An old horse with a routine can stubborn!

Use whatever you feel safest in is the most important part. I'd definitely recommend trying something similar to this. Try it out at home before anything else. One other reason I like it is because a lot of horses use a lot of different bits. But a halter or this simple rope hackamore should be able to be used on every animal (at least that I have)... kind of a one size fits all deal.

rayporter

WKR
every time i see the word bitless i cringe, it does not convey horsemanship skills and to me is not for the novice.

i break my animals very well and i ride with nothing but a rope side pull. not because i want to but because that is all they need.
i have a win picture from the AQHA world championship show where i made the top ten in pole bending with a rope side pull. he was broke in it and there was no need to change.

if you aspire to go bitless i sincerely recommend that you learn and study the horse and horsemanship. [ it is a journey, not a destination]

BigAntlerGetter and missjordan probably say it better than i.

I feel It takes a well trained horse and rider to go bit less. My personal preference was the Jim Warner hackamore.
Jim Warner Hackamore – Rope Nose | Reinsman
I love this setup because it offers enough control to get a there attention but it's at the same time very gentle. It's also so nice not to have to find a way to warm up freezing cold bits in hunting camp on cold mornings. I bought a very well trained gelding from a ranch in Darby MT and the cowboy that raised him us this hack. Eventually I trained my other 3 to go in into as well. Make sure you try anything at home first before you head out on the trail.

every time i see the word bitless i cringe, it does not convey horsemanship skills and to me is not for the novice.

i break my animals very well and i ride with nothing but a rope side pull. not because i want to but because that is all they need.
i have a win picture from the AQHA world championship show where i made the top ten in pole bending with a rope side pull. he was broke in it and there was no need to change.

if you aspire to go bitless i sincerely recommend that you learn and study the horse and horsemanship. [ it is a journey, not a destination]

BigAntlerGetter and missjordan probably say it better than i.

I do agree, horses/mules are a lifestyle and a craft you will never stop learning about. I come from a horse showing background and think every horse should be soft and respond well to leg and seat pressure before moving on to any discipline including trail riding. Lots of other people aren't that picky and it's ok, you don't need good movers going down a trail. But I do believe any rider should have the skills and wants to appreciate what it takes to make a good horse. I dream everyday to show someday at the World or Congress, congratulations on your success what a fantastic achievement!

rayporter

WKR
we sold jim warner a 3yr old that marilyn had raised back in 94. the kids still see him around.

the congress is unbelievable. i lived 50 mi away and always went. we did not enter but a couple times [only if we had something with a chance] the ex got 3rd in hunt seat way back.

I prefer a curb bit for times that a need some control otherwise it's lite hands and heal pressure to get my point across. Times I need control include but aren't limited to, lead rope to the pack string making it under my rides tail, unseen wasp nests, and dead limbs getting kicked up between the rear cynch or the brychen.

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
It is just a simple rope hackamore.... virtually a rope halter with a long lead that is tied with reins in it. It's very simple. When I go on pack trips during the summer or rides in the fall or whenever, where I know I won't be having to tie up to an unattended tree for an extended amount of time (over 2 hours) I don't need a halter that way either.

Rereading my first post this morning, I didn't mean to sound like "thats the way 'it' should always be done". That's just my preferences. I realize i'm on horses a lot more than most people. We have had plenty of horses that need bits in their mouths for everything they do.... 99% of those horses needed the bits because they had kids or inexperienced, timid riders on them and that was the only way to get the horses to respond to what the kids and timid riders wanted-- it wasn't really a safety issue, mainly a response issue to things like eating on the trail during the ride, or sidetracking off into a meadow during the ride to graze, and then a couple of the older horses needed a bit to slow or stop them on the way home. They didn't ever try to run away or anything dangerous, but they just wanted to keep on walking once pointed home. An old horse with a routine can stubborn!

Use whatever you feel safest in is the most important part. I'd definitely recommend trying something similar to this. Try it out at home before anything else. One other reason I like it is because a lot of horses use a lot of different bits. But a halter or this simple rope hackamore should be able to be used on every animal (at least that I have)... kind of a one size fits all deal.

I used the same thing to ride my big girl around the pen and on the property but I have not used that on the trails. I just use my snaffle bit on the trails and work to be as light as I can.

I have one war pony that I ride in a side pull set up from buckaroo leather. I believe it is called the 3R. All of my horses can ride in it but I like to ride with a bit for those moments when even the most mild mannered critter falls apart. The one that uses the side pull has an uncanny ability to end up with his tongue over the bit due to an old injury. He picked up the side pull real quick and I have no problem with him in the mountains or just out cruising.