rifle scabbards

More and more I am seeing pictures of scabbard set ups that are just asking for a rodeo (in my opinion). I even saw a post on Instagram from a relatively reputable hunter that had a scabbard hanging nearly to the horses knee. Someone called them out on it and they claimed it was a "custom" made set up and that is how it was intended to carry. Other than rider comfort why would someone risk a wreck by carrying their weapon of choice so low? How do you carry your weapon when horse back? Id love to see some pictures.

Cheers!

rayporter

WKR
living on the edge? likes to repair rifles? likes to miss game?

i too seen an experienced horseman with a rig like last year.

personally i am a butt forward guy. i feel i can control what happens with the butt forward better than muzzle down and butt to the rear.

hunt024.jpg

The outfitter I hunt with used horses at one time on our hunts (Ranch has since sold). We spent about 6 hours a day on horses, and the outfitters were around horses their whole life, and the Ranch we hunted was a working cattle ranch. Any way, this photo posted by huntsman22 is exactly how the outfitters mounted the rifle scabbards on every horse. I am sure they knew their way around horses since they spent time on them every day.

wyosteve

WKR
I do mine like huntsman only more vertical so my right leg isn't over the scabbard because the barrel on my shin or calf is not comfortable.

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
It's a free country, but anytime you hang a scabbard with the scope and mounts on the bottom you are asking for trouble. Those are the most vulnerable components of a bolt action rifle.

It's a free country, but anytime you hang a scabbard with the scope and mounts on the bottom you are asking for trouble. Those are the most vulnerable components of a bolt action rifle.

Anytime you put any rifle on a horse you are asking for trouble. And actually if you have the scope up your leg is going to be putting a lot more constant pressure on the scope and mounts. If it's down there is less torque pressure on it between your leg and the horse. Also as long as it's not hanging to low as in below the horses belly or chest you shouldn't have many problems.
No matter how you hang it butt always above the muzzle, and don't let it hang down below the horses belly or chest. That's when they get caught on stuff or messed up if ur crossing very large logs. Also keep it higher than your feet don't want to be kickin a horse and ur actually kicking your rifle. Lastly whatever side your scabbard is on lower the stirrup on that side a notch or two. It will make it a lot more comfortable

Ftguides

Lil-Rokslider
"it's a free country"... that's a good/true line. Guys figure out whats works for them eventually.

It's never ideal, just based on the physics. I've found most guys prefer close to vertical, butt up, in front of knee with slight cant under foot. The only downside I see on that way is some inexperience riders will grab the butt of the gun for stability. That is a major no no.

my favorite thing is when guys ask if we can practice shooting off the horse before the hunt. that is the best :)

mcseal2

WKR
I always put a really mild hackamore or bosal on our older horses before letting a rookie ride them. I don't let rookies ride the young ones. I like my horses to back up with very little effort on my part, I do a lot of sorting cattle in alleys and a horse that will give ground and turn off your leg doesn't get beat very often. I feel sorry for a horse trained like that when the rider thinks the reins are there for them to use to balance themselves. The horse's face gets pulled on and he gets no release from the pressure. Definitely don't want that pressure on their mouth with a bit in it.

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
I always put a really mild hackamore or bosal on our older horses before letting a rookie ride them. I don't let rookies ride the young ones. I like my horses to back up with very little effort on my part, I do a lot of sorting cattle in alleys and a horse that will give ground and turn off your leg doesn't get beat very often. I feel sorry for a horse trained like that when the rider thinks the reins are there for them to use to balance themselves. The horse's face gets pulled on and he gets no release from the pressure. Definitely don't want that pressure on their mouth with a bit in it.

Thats bad business when a horse can't get that release. Try that with my ornery girl and she will teach you a hard lesson.

JustCarr

FNG
I put my rifle/muzzleloader on the left side as it gives easier access if your getting off quick and can hand the horse to a hunting partner. I hang it with the butt towards the front and the scope on top. Worked good. As for keeping the rifle sighted in I think a good scope with good rings goes a long ways. I had a bit of a wreck last October and got bucked off and the horses bucked hard for a minute or so before bolting off. I found him 2 miles and 1 or 2 barbed wire fences later. The saddles bags were empty, my rope was gone and I was missing a stirrup and a rein. But the gun was still in the scabbard and when I shot it again it was still bang on.

rayporter

WKR
oldie thread but a good one!!!!

one thing to note is the leather scabbard. it is not nylon. nylon will hold moisture which will lead to rust.
I have seen the lined leather ones rust a rifle too.

Read1t48

WKR
This... made by Rawhide Gear. The best, IMO. The scabbard attaches to the pommel bag and create a “system”. Ballistic-style material. Nearly waterproof, lightweight in comparison to leather, and no maintenance.
I recently sold my horses and plan to sell the set of gear. PM, if interested.

2C0183D5-FE1E-41A9-A830-D5F470A13C59.jpeg
928E7574-CA04-47E7-9721-F5A01E94A3B3.jpeg

blackdawg

WKR
Any sources that build a good leather scabbard for scoped rifle anyone can share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackdawg

WKR
I looked at all those recommended online and they all have some kind of liner that would hold moisture it appears. I have an Amish fella that does leather work close by, talked with him and he says he could build one, if he only had a phone to discuss details with , without driving 15 miles out and searching around the farm to find him. Would it be safe to say that the scabbard needs to custom fit the rifle? Any resources for a scabbard pattern out there on the internets that anyone could share?

sndmn11

WKR
I looked at all those recommended online and they all have some kind of liner that would hold moisture it appears. I have an Amish fella that does leather work close by, talked with him and he says he could build one, if he only had a phone to discuss details with , without driving 15 miles out and searching around the farm to find him. Would it be safe to say that the scabbard needs to custom fit the rifle? Any resources for a scabbard pattern out there on the internets that anyone could share?

Ours are straight leather https://www.davistent.com/product/rifle-scabbard-large/