Sleeping bag without a full blown bedroll.

amp713

WKR
So even having my horses I'm usually hiking to hunt but now with my wife, 3 year old and another baby due in 2 months I'm going to start using the horses more so I can pack in all of the amenities I need for the family but one thing I've wanted to get for a while anyways and now see as more of a need is a better sleeping bag system.

I've not wanted to go full bedroll but have been eyeing the butler bag mild climate bag. Biggest issue is they are a bit pricey considering my wife would probably want her own also. I sleep fairly warm when hiking a lot but still have felt my system is a little on the light side. Last year I was using just a hammock with a small insulating pad and my bag under me and I got a bit cold, I think this is a set up that I'd like to use when just doing overnight rides, solo trips or scouting with the horses and I think the butler bag would work well with that...

Haven't gone hunting for anything much but wanted to see what others may be using. My fiends that run a rugged bag style set up don't have info on where they got theirs anymore but think they got them for around 100.

rayporter

WKR
ultra light down bag and thermarest neoair for me, on horses. this will be the year i get a cot. sleep dont come easy anymore, so i hope the cot will help. heck i dont sleep at home now.

i got to say i will take a closed cell to put on the neoair in cold weather. whenever i am cold it is cause the pad is letting cold come up from the ground.

sleep systems can take up a lot of volume -even on a pack.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Ya maybe it's just my young self but I keep thinking just getting a heavy duty canvas bag and tossing it on the ground or in my hammock if I have trees around....

wyosteve

WKR
No need to shortchange yourself on comfort with horses. I always pack in a cot, comfy pad and good bag. Sleep like a baby!

Bedroll, duffle, thick pad and two man tent as a top pack is my go to when packing animals. You're feeding them year round so they can deal with a little discomfort so you get the best night sleep you can.