Burroes

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
I dig them!! I have seen them being packed but have never used them.

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
Wanted a burro or two for a while. Thinking Magger Mule could use one for a buddy.
Not much of an option up here but I know the BLM auctions often sell burros.
You'd have some work getting them hunt ready I reckon... :eek:

Edit: "burro" is a fun word around our house. The Mrs. thinks it's hilarious how I pronounce it...
(She's Latina, so every time I say "burrow", she says "burro" and makes it sound sexy.) :cool:

Last edited:

sab

Lil-Rokslider
Howdy, Tim:

Try PMing Eric Lynn on the Kifaru forum (he's "gonehuntin" over there). He's very knowledgable, and even created a web site for donkey packing.

Regards,
Scott

Gr8bawana

WKR
Make sure you get a gelded burro or a female if you have horses or other burros. My daughter had a run in with a testotserone enraged male while taking riding lessons on a female horse. Her trainer had a pet burro and he broke out of his pen and there was no stopping him from trying to get to the female horse.
She had to outrun him and then get into a horse trailer with the horse to get away from him.
It was quite a traumatic experience for her and my wife.

Ftguides

Lil-Rokslider
they are great pack animals for leading on foot. the reason they have never been mainstream north of the border is they can't keep pace with a riding horse because of their stride length.

1signguy

WKR
they are great pack animals for leading on foot. the reason they have never been mainstream north of the border is they can't keep pace with a riding horse because of their stride length.

I agree- I have a burro we use for roping practice who is a sweet heart but not good if you riding... For hiking they are ideal! They eat nothing...

Read1t48

WKR
Howdy, Tim:

Try PMing Eric Lynn on the Kifaru forum (he's "gonehuntin" over there). He's very knowledgable, and even created a web site for donkey packing.

+2.... I think he even makes panniers for them. Very nice quality stuff.

OP
T
Howdy, Tim:

Regards,
Scott
Thanks Scott,I go on his site from time to time and it seems like a great idea,I was hoping someone near me might use them so I could see their setup in person
Tim

sab

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Scott,I go on his site from time to time and it seems like a great idea,I was hoping someone near me might use them so I could see their setup in person
Tim

Tim:

Like I said - PM him. He attends events all over the place and knows a lot of people in the "donkey packing community". Chances are he knows someone in Washington state...

Regards,
Scott

GotDraw?

WKR
I used 4 of them ONCE for a back country hunt. NEVER again.

They are so short that their panniers do not clear large rocks and stumps on narrow single track trails. It can really suck when they continually get hung up. If the trail is steep, with big rocks I guarantee you big problems. We were 4 miles in on a climb for a 17 day hunt and had to turn around after one burrow hung up on a stump and ripped a saddle bag open and scattered gear all over. Had to pack it all up with bailing wire and take all the burros back down the mountain. Lost a full day hunting. Left that burro behind at the corral along with a ton of food. Had to go back down the mountain after 10 days to get the rest of the food and lost another day hunting.

NEVER again. Give me mules. They can carry far more and can step over/clear things that burros will hang up on

PM me w/questions.

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
I used 4 of them ONCE for a back country hunt. NEVER again.

They are so short that their panniers do not clear large rocks and stumps on narrow single track trails. It can really suck when they continually get hung up. If the trail is steep, with big rocks I guarantee you big problems. We were 4 miles in on a climb for a 17 day hunt and had to turn around after one burrow hung up on a stump and ripped a saddle bag open and scattered gear all over. Had to pack it all up with bailing wire and take all the burros back down the mountain. Lost a full day hunting. Left that burro behind at the corral along with a ton of food. Had to go back down the mountain after 10 days to get the rest of the food and lost another day hunting.

NEVER again. Give me mules. They can carry far more and can step over/clear things that burros will hang up on

PM me w/questions.

Something I would have not considered, maybe this could be solved with mammoths. I think this same issue would come up for the goat and llama packers also.?

GotDraw?

WKR
RE Burro height/clearance.

My issues was the tight, steep trail we used to access our hunting area. Burros simply were not tall enough to have the clearance needed to get their panniers past snags and dead-falls that were cut close to the trail, nor boulders and thick brush that was tight to the trail.

If I was hunting in an area where trail clearance was not an issue, then I would consider them.

Mammoths are awesome! You can hang a bull elk on each side and pack them down the mountain w/o quartering. But have you ever tried trailering them? You'd need a serious diesel truck!

Last edited:

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
Something I would have not considered, maybe this could be solved with mammoths.

My dad keeps threatening Yaks for hunting in Alaska. I think a bactrian camel* or two would suit me and my packing habits just fine. :)

*said to be capable of packing up to 1000 pounds

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
I have no experience with them, I have a horse and two mules. But if you scramble them all together and look at their attitudes its more like I have two horses and a donkey. :cool:

Eddy C

FNG
Tim

Howdy Tim
Eric is on facebook........so am I.......get a mule Miss Dolly is still going strong she is 19 or 20 in her prime

Something I would have not considered, maybe this could be solved with mammoths. I think this same issue would come up for the goat and llama packers also.?
The flip side to the too short problem is the too tall problem. My personal experience is that tall animals (mules 15 HH and taller) end up with lighter loads. The reason being, is that it's PITA to get half an elk up that high when you're by yourself.

JWP58

WKR
I'm interested in getting into pack animals. Either llamas or burros. I plan on renting llamas next bow season to try it out.

Burros seem like a great option because of their size, availability (from blm), and hardiness. Anyone else have input on burros?