Above timber line

mcr-85

WKR
Hey just curious if anyone has any good ways to tie up your critters above timber line. We were out looking at goats yesterday and had to have someone stay back and hold horses.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

OP
mcr-85

mcr-85

WKR
2 options are either hobbles or a single leg picket with a stake.
I figured those were the best options. Probably figure out some sort of stake to take up there and hope we can get them in the ground.

I've seen a couple of our horses go quite a ways hobbled.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

wyosteve

WKR
As far as a 'stake', I use those 'screw' into the ground dog tie outs. Kinda like a corkscrew. I use the one foot picket method and those stakes with my horses and mules and have never had one pull out. You should be able to find enough 'non-rocky' ground to screw them in.

1signguy

WKR
3 legged hobbles if the two legs are not keeping them close...

I have one that can move like a jack rabbit with his front legs hobbled. Put a three legged hobble on him and he just stands there...

cowboy300

WKR
^^^ This if they are hobbled alot. Once they figure out hobbles it only slows them down a little. All of my critters can lope in just front hobbles. Also if you have the "herd leader" secured the others wont likely go far on their own.

Mike 338

WKR
Saw a sheepherder tie 2 horses to 2 separate picket lines with each end anchored into the ground. The horses could slide up and down the line about 20 feet. Not easy to hammer in in rock though.

squirrel

WKR
Never had horses there but for Llamas take an empty burlap style bag (2) fill with rocks anchor both ends of a ground line with them. Small dog food bag is all that is needed for llamas Horsey may need more or bigger bags, rocks are never too scarce up there.