Llamas!! Who has used them?

D_Eightch

WKR
So I am going in with 2 llamas, I have been researching and all that good stuff. Just looking for some first hand experiences and maybe some questions I should bring to the table when I go through the training clinic.

What are some good and bad things you have experienced while using llamas in the Back Country?

squirrel

WKR
I'll bite, Here are some excerpts from my rental info stuff I have on file. Your first adventure will be a steep learning curve, walk before you run, think it over before you plow in head first, they are user friendly for beginners but we have a saying... some people should stick to ATV's!

About the animals: Llamas are very docile creatures generally but just as like any other critter each is an individual, each has quirks, strengths, and weaknesses. Very few are bulletproof in all circumstances no matter what their proud owners claim. Llamas can go about anywhere on a trail that people can go without specialized gear, they thrive in most camping settings if there is grass or browse available and they require little water in comparison to more common stock animals. A well-conditioned llama is important as if kept inactive they get out of shape just like we humans do. But if you have a conditioned llama properly packed they should be able to go 12+ miles with a full load on a decent trail in mountainous terrain. They will quite easily carry 75- 85 pound payloads on this type of a hike, if you change the nature of the hike or the poundage of the load the ability of the llama may change as well. For example if you want to go all downhill for 3 miles you may get by with a 110 pound load on a good animal (or more) but if you want to go off trail through down timber for 15 miles in a day the same llama may have to have only a 35-45 pound load. If you are asking too much of your animal they will simply lay down on you and not be moved- you are screwed, as they usually do this where the “going gets tough” avoiding this scenario is far better than having to deal with it when/where it happens. Use enough animals to spread the load over more backs or make more trips with lighter payloads. In camp they are best tethered with a corkscrew or use a highline arrangement if conditions warrant. (The details of this will be covered at the training class). Pick a spot with grass for them to graze and expose them to water once /day (you can lead them to water but you can’t make them drink!)
About you: They are the pack animal, you are the thinker- at least that is the ideal. The single most important thing you can do to have a successful adventure is to be adaptable on the trail, before you get in a mess stop and think it through, do not just wade in and hope you come out the far side with your pack string intact. Pack light, when in doubt, pack lighter! When in a jam separate your string and lead individuals through- BEFORE the rodeo starts, not after your gear is scattered all over the mountain. I can teach you the basics of packing but the backcountry you will go to is the real teacher, and she MUST be obeyed, you do not want to fail this test, penalties can be very severe, but the rewards can be absolutely amazing. You must keep the load poundage at manageable levels and well balanced on well secured pack-saddles, this is your job, and no one can do it for you.

IN THE TRAILER/@THE TRAILHEAD: NEVER LOSE CONTROL OF YOUR LLAMA!
Never take off a halter unless inside an enclosure.
Take off the lead ropes inside the trailer, put them in your vehicle, they can be deadly.
Names of the llamas are on name tags on their halters, matching saddles have the llamas’ names on them.
Panniers MUST be balanced. If your panniers (and saddle) roll to one side, THEY ARE NOT BALANCED!
Front girth is as tight as you can get it, rear girth is snug only.
Top pack only light, bulky items, like your sleeping bag or tent
ON THE TRAIL: NEVER LOSE CONTROL OF YOUR LLAMA!
If stringing them together in a pack string use short leads for the followers.
Do not cross bridges unless designed for livestock and in good repair, no holes or missing planks
Problem spots- downed timber, creeks, rock fields, walk the trail first, separate the llamas and lead through individually, SLOWLY LETTING THEM PICK THEIR WAY AT THEIR OWN PACE
Trees across the trail, move it, go around it, as a LAST RESORT jump it over a smooth section of the trunk (one at a time)
If packs shift forward, backward or roll left to right, re-pack immediately do not wait for the rodeo to commence
If a llama lays down on the trail, and they immediately start to eat grass, they are just being lazy and testing you. Bug them by petting their face, putting your fingers in their ears etc. Do make them mad but do not hit or abuse them, it is counter productive. If they are wheezing and out of breath and do not start eating, let them rest until they get up or start to eat grass (see above) and start to look for a camp site as they are tired and need to be done for the day soon. Take weight off the tired one and re-distribute to yourself or other lighter loaded llamas.
IN CAMP: NEVER LOSE CONTROL OF YOUR LLAMA!!
Tether within sight of one another but not so close they can touch or get tangled up
Expose to water daily, crossing creeks while hiking does not count as they generally will not drink
Move tethers as needed for fresh grazing, when you can see their “circle” it is time to move
Use only the corkscrew and bull snap for tethering- take the lead off
AND DID I MENTION??? DON’T LOSE CONTROL OF YOUR LLAMA!!!

NwLegends

FNG
I used them for years to pack out bears. They’d carry about 60’pounds each and go anywhere you can walk.... plus they eat all the weeds in the pasture.

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
I used them for the first time this year, easy day. To amplify squirrel`s comments and some "Lessons Learned":

Ensure you know who the lead llama is before you hit the trail; otherwise neck wrestling / spitting will ensue

Llamas walk slow for my standards, not much you can do to change that

Not all llama`s bark when danger is near: almost lost one to wolves, BTW the wolf got a few 38+P rds for good measure

Llamas are not gun shy (at-least mine wasn`t); see previous sentence

Recommend 3 llamas vs 2, unless your solo hunting

Load out: I packed the lead llama with the lightest load, they are social animals and will not stop if they "Think" they are being left behind. Figured that out during the hunt

Never leave the pan-yards on them loaded when you run into elk unexpectedly - rodeo commenced as we stalked nearby bugling bull

They are not pets, and dislike touching there heads (knew that prior to hunt) just sharing

If renting llamas and trailer, book early and do your homework on the folks your renting from. I got lucky this year, got terrific llamas and owners. Had a wheel bearing on trailer go out in BFE on the way to return them. Garmin Inreach saved the day, as the owner No-Kidding brought a trailer out and picked them up @ 0200 in the morning during the work week and took care of the trailer left behind.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I had a good friend who really wasn't stock savvy in any way. City kid, but loved to hunt. He figured them out and used them successfully for years. Prolly like anything, just take the time to learn them.

bbright

FNG
Just curious, why the emphasis on don’t lose control? Are they impossible to catch even with some type of snack? Not like a horse and just hang out and graze?

squirrel

WKR
The primary objective for renting a llama is the check clears... and you get them back. Everything else is pretty much way down the list.

They will hang out and graze, almost certainly within five miles or so, possibly six when they see the halter in your hands.

True story for illustration purposes.
"Hartsel" shows up at llama camp, with his one llama. He screws in his tether, rope and snap are between his feet. He is holding the lead rope with llama attached unhooks bull snap, bends over to pick up tether snap and tries to attach it to a llama that is no longer there. Even with 20 - 30 llamas tethered close by his spent the next half day running around singing "born free" above tree line.

About twenty people tried to catch him including "Hartsel" to no avail until 3 of us that knew what to do caught him in about 5 minutes.

Much easier to NEVER LOSE CONTROL OF YOUR LLAMA...

This is just another day in the life of "Hartsel" and he wonders how stupid things keep happening to him.

curlyintn

FNG
Last year we went on our first elk hunt over the counter Idaho rented 4 llamas and they were at excellent no troubles just like having a pet.

njdoxie

WKR
I used them for the first time this year, easy day. To amplify squirrel`s comments and some "Lessons Learned":

Ensure you know who the lead llama is before you hit the trail; otherwise neck wrestling / spitting will ensue

Llamas walk slow for my standards, not much you can do to change that

Not all llama`s bark when danger is near: almost lost one to wolves, BTW the wolf got a few 38+P rds for good measure

Llamas are not gun shy (at-least mine wasn`t); see previous sentence

Recommend 3 llamas vs 2, unless your solo hunting

Load out: I packed the lead llama with the lightest load, they are social animals and will not stop if they "Think" they are being left behind. Figured that out during the hunt

Never leave the pan-yards on them loaded when you run into elk unexpectedly - rodeo commenced as we stalked nearby bugling bull

They are not pets, and dislike touching there heads (knew that prior to hunt) just sharing

If renting llamas and trailer, book early and do your homework on the folks your renting from. I got lucky this year, got terrific llamas and owners. Had a wheel bearing on trailer go out in BFE on the way to return them. Garmin Inreach saved the day, as the owner No-Kidding brought a trailer out and picked them up @ 0200 in the morning during the work week and took care of the trailer left behind.

Who did you rent from? I'm considering this for 2019 and beyond, this year I'll still be using horses.

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
Three river llamas in boise, owners name is Ken

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
Correction: two rivers llamas

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk