Canvas tent Help

Tejasbow

FNG
Hey guys my father in law and his dad used to rifle hunt the mountains and use a big canvas tent. It has been offered to me a few times. I do bivy style hunts and I do not think at this point in time that I will use a big canvas tent much.

I started thinking the other day that I should probably take them up on the offer. Now here is the problem I know that the tent has been sitting for years and that the canvas is not going to be in good condition.

Is there a place I can get the canvas made to the frame that I have?

Thanks

Last edited:

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
I'd try Davis Tent in Denver. Not sure if they do custom tents but they are easy to work with and affordable.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
get that tent! They last decades if taken care of and always have some resale value. I have one that is 45 years, and going strong. They make great road camp tents.

Most decent-sized towns have a canvas shop for repairs and mods.

OP
T

Tejasbow

FNG
I guess I'll drag it out. This tent is likely close to as old as yours and has been sitting for 20 years.

sndmn11

WKR
Hi there, I am the sales manager at Davis Tent, and thought it would be all right for me to chime in here since we were mentioned. If that tent was stored dry and no pests got into it, there is no reason why it would not still be in great condition to shelter you from the elements. Generally, the only things that end a tent's life are mold/mildew, and UV damage if you happen to have it set up year round for a handful of years. Holes, rips, etc., can all be repaired fairly easily and for relatively low cost. If it were me, I would get the thing out, set it up, and see what you have. Look for black streaks or patches that look like spilled ink, that would be mildew. If you don't have any of that, use the heck out of the thing just as it is; don't clean it, don't treat it...just use it.

OP
T

Tejasbow

FNG
Thank you sir!
Your recommendation in the matter will not be over looked in the years to come. Very greatly appreciated.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, The Davi tent rep is right on. I've seen WWII canvas tents in pristine condition that were stored correctly....

And I've seen a buddies 2 yr old canvas tent stored wet that was totally shot in 1 months time....