Horse Size

Mike 338

WKR
If it's for your daughter, the size and breed really isn't the thing. What counts is if it's dead broke. Many a well intentioned parent get their kid a young horse thinking they're buying a puppy. Big mistake. Forget about the purchase price. It's the least expensive part of owning a horse. Get a good horse and you won't have to find out that there is no economy in a cheap horse and an expensive hospital stay. That picture of the kid on the pony ride doesn't tell you anything. If you don't know much about horses and your putting your daughter in it, you really do need some hands-on personal help when getting a horse from somebody that understands who will be on it and their experience level.

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
The fella that had that tiny horse decided to keep it. My daughter has toned it down a little about a horse. Thanks for all the wisdom shared, it's a minefield when dealing in working animals.

CX5Ranch

WKR
Guys I make a living using horses every day. Ya it's nice to have a big stout well bred gelding under you that stands tall and thick. But I've roped many a cattle with a small young horse that was just getting his legs under him. That horse in that picture will carry more that any man on this page and 10 times farther. And it will never give you one ounce of complaints if he's sound. Anyone who says that horse can only carry 100 pounds day in and day out needs to re consider how equine are/and have truly been used in this world. They can stand a lot and keep on trucking. Can you lame one yes. Will you do it on a 5 day elk hunt probably not. You will be huffing and puffing and trying to hang yourself from misery with the lead rope before that pony is ready to lay down.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk