Horse Size

blackdawg

WKR
I have a daughter that's been demanding/bugging the shees out of me for a horse, if I could also use it to pack it would be a bonus. If this pic posts could the experienced horsemen tell me if this horse is too small, etc. I know she will out grow it in a few years. I know the owner and the price he is asking seems fair. Would panniards etc be a challenge to locate, could it a decent amount of weight. IMG_1573.JPGIMG_1572.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMO44

FNG
Everyone on here is going to have their own opinions about horses . I work for an outfitter and we only use big powerful quarter horses. We go back to back days of 25 plus miles into high country. In my opinion that horse is too small.

jmez

WKR
That's a pony. You could pack on it but wouldn't be able to carry a lot.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
I said the same thing, pony,, I have to respect this guys knowledge of stock he says horse then it's a horse. I had a dang pony when I was kid wouldn't do that to my kid and ma admits it was an error. What do you think max pack load might be for a small "horse". I want to find as many uses as possible for it, if I get this for her. I understand this is not the optimal animal.

I zoomed in, but the picture quality is so poor, that I can't even get an idea of the breed. I've ridden a whole bunch of horses over the years, and owned several. Different breeds. You need to decide on the expectations of the animal for your daughter, and then see if that would work for you, as a pack animal. The best horse I ever owned for packing was a high strung Arab mare. She could cover ground like no tomorrow (50 miles in one day was nothing for her); while also being able to fall in line in the pack string. She flat out trusted me. I could shoot off her back, bla, bla, bla. But I would never recommend an Arab to a new horse owner, or as a pack horse, unless the owner/rider was well experienced. Otherwise IMNSHO, a quarter Arab would be what I would recommend to a person that wanted an all around horse, with a calm disposition, that would also make an excellent pack horse, or a Appaloosa Arab, or Appaloosa. But then I have also used some thoroughbreds that made excellent pack animals.

But the bottom line is that if your not experienced with livestock, horses in particular, getting an animal trained can be a bottomless pit. Mainly because it's not normally the horse that needs the training. But if your going to do it, I strongly suggest that you join backcountry horsemen, or a similar organization. I would also recommend that you do some Endurance riding (organized competitions), so that you quickly learn to care for the animal appropriately. Again, hooking up with an organized group, so you have a body of knowledge to pull from would be helpful. Just keep in mind, a horse is a serous commitment that will eat up time, and your daughter may not take to the reality of horse ownership. So if you purchase, you may be stuck with the animal, good or bad. If you can, you might see if you can lease an animal for a while, or better yet, do a part lease, until your sure you and your daughter want to make the commitment.

jmez

WKR
Breed wise may well be a "horse" but anything under 14.2 hands is considered a pony. That little guy isn't 14.2.

A horse in good shape should be able to carry around 20% of bodyweight. I'd guess 150lbs on that guy would be pushing it. That includes all the weight of the tack as well as the load.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
I agree the picture is poor and the horse is the size of a pony. Sounds like a full size horse would be the best to begin with, the only thing is buying from someone that I don't know,,darn horse traders. How do you weigh your horses to know about where the 20% threshold for max pack weight is or is it based on average on size? What are the max amounts that you load on your pack animal with a set of panniers? Thanks for information regarding the groups to get in touch with, have made a living training canines, still in animal business also but not equines and understand each critter has a full learning curve.

rayporter

WKR
first think of your child. if that pony is a baby sitter and safe to turn you kid loose with, get it. that is a big deal. if you can use so much the better. no i would not put a 150 lb load on that one but the odds are good if it is kid safe it will carry a hundred. you are not going to use it like an outfitter will. you wont use it all season or year round. you will lead it in and out once.

wyosteve

WKR
I load my panniers to between 50 and 55 lbs. If using a top pack, pretty much the same weight limit or a bit lighter if possible.

jmez

WKR
Horse traders are the scourge of the earth. I see it all the time. They will look you in the eye and sell you something that isn't going to work for your little girl and not care. What rayporter said is important. True kid safe horses are not common. If this is for you daughter, that should be your first and main concern. If you can then make that work for you all the better.

Stay away from regular horse sales. Stay away from horse traders. Anyone around you actually raise horses and put on their own production sale? If so I would give them a call, if they don't have what you are looking for then they will likely know someone that will.

If your looking for something to share I'd look at purchasing a horse on the smaller side but no smaller than 14 hands but that also depends on your needs and body type if you decide to ride it. This particular horse looks to small except for a small adult and probably would have to stay on the lighter side for packing also. Either way if your looking to purchase stock for your family stick with an individual or trainer who has a good reputation! Horse sales and traders can spell bad news if you aren't experienced. Some breeds will be known to have different dispositions than others but a good horse is worth its weight in gold no matter the breeding.

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
first think of your child. if that pony is a baby sitter and safe to turn you kid loose with, get it. that is a big deal. if you can use so much the better. no i would not put a 150 lb load on that one but the odds are good if it is kid safe it will carry a hundred. you are not going to use it like an outfitter will. you wont use it all season or year round. you will lead it in and out once.

I second this. Most importantly if it is right for your daughter, then you can make it work. Don't load it real heavy, but don't be afraid to make it work either.

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
Remember conditioning! Like us, we need to prepare physically before asked to conduct a rigorous task. A horse is the same way, just food for thought.

I would be looking into going to one of the mustang makeover events. There are some good animals coming from the better trainers out there. I have several neighbors who own animals from these events and they mounted shoot with them. Most are a good small size but work like mules. I had one years ago and she was 14 hands but I'm 200 lbs and road her many miles.
Also have a 14 hand mule that hauled an entire bull out himself. Fact that horse would not have made that trip but all other trips she would have been fine. 125 lbs of gear is a lot, if you need more than that get a helicopter

Gr8bawana

WKR
Being a former horse owner there are a few things you should know.
Your daughter is begging for a horse now but how long will she really be into it. My daughter all but forgot about horses once she became a teenager and wanted to hang out with her friends rather than take care of the horses.
How long will she be enthusiastic about cleaning up the horse poop of which there is a lot.
Horses have to eat 365 days a year whether you are using them or not.
If you want to go somewhere you have to line up someone reliable to feed and water them.
Where we live our farrier charges $40 per horse for hoof trimming. If you keep shoes on the it's about $80 per horse every 6-8 weeks.
Vet checks and vaccinations, they must be dewormed every couple of months.
Horses are very dumb animals as well, they injure themselves in ways you can't even begin to imagine.
You'll also need a horse trailer and they are not cheap.
All that being said I really enjoyed the years we had horses.

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
Thanks guys! First and foremost is the safety aspect. I am dragging my feet for a few months before I pull the trigger on any animals. I suspect after a couple of trips to Colorado and Wyoming this fall that the pack jobs will help me make a decision :)

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
The way my knees feel now after a few days training with loaded packs, I am starting to think purchasing a whole packstring would be a great decision!

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hell just buy 2. You will grow to love and appreciate those big bundles of fast twitch muscle. Take this advice though. If you purchase one that happens to be a shithead, get rid of it.

Go with a QH gelding in the 14 1/2 ---15 hand range, your daughter will grow and out grow a pony. the QH will be fun for her also, get her into a 4-H horse program. A lot of the 4-H programs also offer packing classes for her and you. Please save yourself a problem and don't go with a mare, geldings are a lot less hassle. Go here for your packing supplies; Outfitters Supply | Tack, Saddles, Horse Packing Gear, Trail Riding Equipment | TrailMax

this is another option, this goes over your saddle; TrailMax Pack-A-Saddle Saddle Pannier Pack System, Orange-outfitterssupply.com