Trailers

PNWGATOR

WKR
Looking for insight on trailers ideally suited for hauling stock into the backcountry. Thinking gooseneck and as small as possible to haul six head. How long of a deck? Width? Aluminum vs steel? Brands that are solid? Brands to avoid?

Have a three horse slant aluminum Featherlite bumper pull that came home from our last trip with two dented fenders and missing a hubcap. It's ideally suited for hauling stock from a paved cul da sac to the fairgrounds. :)

Tag_Soup

WKR
We have put hundreds of miles on our steel titan goosenecks in the sawtooths of Idaho. I couldn't think of a better trailer. Load slant and get some rubber mats. 8 horse has rarely limited us on tight mountain roads. Be careful jackknifeing while going through steep washes or you will end up buying new bed rails/tail gaits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
bumper pullers track where the truck goes pretty well but goosenecks will cut you short in a turn. and they can hit the truck it you dont jack up the hitch for more clearance.

i have paved roads where a 24 ft deck can barely navigate without going in the ditch.

steel it likely best for what you want. even through it rusts cause it takes a licking. the weight also has to be dealt with- typically with a bigger truck and engine.

wyosteve

WKR
To haul 6 horses you'll likely need at least a 24 ft. deck. 28 might be better depending on the size of the horses. I've had a Titan steel. Very good trailer. Then I had an Exiss stock combo aluminum. Another excellent trailer. Currently have a Featherlite aluminum. It's a 2007 model and I'd have to say the quality is not as good as the Exiss. Steel or aluminum each have their pros and cons. The weight difference is not significant enough to make a difference for the occasional hauler imo.

Beastmode

WKR
Looking for insight on trailers ideally suited for hauling stock into the backcountry. Thinking gooseneck and as small as possible to haul six head. How long of a deck? Width? Aluminum vs steel? Brands that are solid? Brands to avoid?

Have a three horse slant aluminum Featherlite bumper pull that came home from our last trip with two dented fenders and missing a hubcap. It's ideally suited for hauling stock from a paved cul da sac to the fairgrounds. :)

It all depends how much you want to spend. A reasonably priced gooseneck stock trailer is a Maverick. They run around 12k new. If you want the best get a Wilson, they are extremely tough and hold their value greatly. They run around 20k new.

For length it all depends how far you are going. You can haul 6 regular size quarter horses in a 20' deck for a long ways, they are cramped but it works. If you are going halfway across the country I would get something bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deertick

FNG
Check out Donahue Trailers ... they make a 12' gooseneck. I can fit four horses in mine easily, and it can turn around about anywhere being that short.

NwLegends

FNG
My 6 horse feather light cracked in half at the goose neck this past fall. Going with aluminum stock trailers from now on.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Ended up with a 20' Titan and got a fair deal on a used one I found a couple hours away. So far, so good. :)