Traveling with stock

Ajnic10

FNG
Hey fellas. I have never travelled more than 4 hours with the horses. We rented horses last year and it was $$$$$. Do y'all have any tips for traveling with horses for 18 hours.

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
No experience traveling 18, but last year loaded mine up and took them for an 8 hour ride until I reached my trailhead. Made about 3 stops for fuel, food, and license....I would give them all a little treat and scratch on the head at each stop. They were ready to unload but seemed to take it all well. If I was going 18 hours I would consider unloading them and let them eat, drink, and move around for awhile after the first 10 or so. Hopefully somebody with more experience in the "long haul" will chime in.

wyosteve

WKR
I've always stopped after about 8 to 10 hrs. Let them out of the trailer, give water if they'll drink and some grub if staying for a while. We don't realize how tough it can be bouncing down the highway in a trailer.

rayporter

WKR
it is a rare one that will drink before 8 hours on the trailer, but you should try to water them. some try to take their own water to help with drinking on the road. also some try to put koolade in the water to cover up unusual taste on the road.

if possible unload about the half way point if you can. they need to stand or walk for a half hour to relax and take a leak. some say 45 minutes is required to do them any good off the trailer.

i try to keep hay in front of them all the time on the road.

if you have never rode in a trailer you should try it sometime. it is a pretty rough ride back there.

I trailer a lot and 8 hrs is no problem, one thing always do is give them the night off after the trip, I never pull them out of the trailer and hit the trail right away on long trips. I always camp for the night and head out in the morning. Even if you have to camp close by and not at the trailhead it's worth it. I have on the other hand packed out of a trail and tossed them in the trailer for 8 hrs, seems like they are ready for the break at that point. Lol.
For your trip half way with a break is a good idea then still I would let them rest at the end before hitting the trail. Mine have come out of the trailer shaking after ugly dirt road trips, good idea to let them stretch and roll , I always have panels along for this reason, tiring to the trailer or highline isn't as good as a pen, mine always go to rolling right out of the trailer.

OP
A

Ajnic10

FNG
Thanks for the replies fellas! I'd like to stop halfway mark and let them out, but where do you recommend a stop?

Every county across the country has a county fair grounds, and pretty much every one has a place to stable or pasture live stock. Find a convenient one and give them a call. Most will also allow you to camp there. However, they do charge.

rayporter

WKR
getting lucky at fair grounds and rodeo grounds it hit and miss. some keep the gates locked. i look for truck stops that are not busy or abandoned gas stations.

make sure your health papers are in order. if you get checked out there they can be real sticky. and you may need to show papers to get in a stall.
and yes i have been checked.

there is happy tracks horse motel on the west edge of Amarillo.

Last edited:
OP
A

Ajnic10

FNG
I am from southern Illinois. I never thought about the fair grounds! I was thinking about trying to find a non busy truck stop but once you get west of here that can be hard to find and don't want a rodeo! My horses are pretty dead broke but I can't say I've ever tied them up at a truck stop! Thanks for the info guys! I will start looking into some fairgrounds! And if anyone has other input I'll still be listening!

wyosteve

WKR
What route are you taking and where are you headed? If I-80, the Cabelas in Sidney has free corrals to use.

1signguy

WKR
We are regularly running horses between CA/AZ/NM/TX and the only reason I would get horses out of the trailer is if I was stopping for the night. Drive straight through if you have a co-driver. At fuel stops offer the horses a drink- some will and some won't drink. Most of my horses will pee while going down the road but if they don't they do as soon as we stop for fuel.

Then hit the trail mid morning the next day. This gives the horses plenty of time to rehydrate and relax...

If you are worried about hydration you can always take some electrolytes with you for when you arrive but overkill in my opinion especially if the weather is nice...

Check your trailer tires before leaving and replace them if the trailer has been sitting! :)