Pack cover

Anyone use a rain cover on your pack? Or take one for if and when it does rain? Debating on picking up a jimmy tape for my fulcrum and maybe one for my AGC harness.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just ordered one from Jimmy Tarps yesterday. Figured it would be worth taking since it weighs so little.

Was about to ask this as well. I’ve got a KUIU Icon Pro 1850 but am looking at getting a larger cover so the shoulder straps and waist belt can fit under it in camp at night.

I take one for sure when I am expecting rain or heavy snow. I find that it helps keep the pack and contents dry. Besides a wet pack will pick up more water weight than the cover weighs.

I have a jimmy tarp cover and like it. I actually bought an orange version for rifle season. Good people.

Absolutely, for both backpack and bino pack. I have a 1.5 oz. CF Zpacks backpack cover and a Jimmy tarp's bino pack cover. I never had a bino cover until my AGC pack got soaked right off the bat at the start of a 10 day remote hunt. It took 2 days for the pack to dry out....that was two days in the garage, after I got home.

Mt Al

WKR
I have one that I bring when rain's in the forecast. Has saved several trips that would have been miserable without it. Highly recommended.

OP
ddavis_1313
After the replies, I just ordered a jimmy tarp for my pack and Bino harness

TravisIN

WKR
Jimmy tarps should thank this thread bc im ordering a cover for my AGC too

I had one for a short period but decided that I could use my sheep tarp as a make shift pack cover if needed and not have a single use item. (Used my 8x10 Tarp as a cover last year during some rain and that convinced me the smaller sheep tarp would be perfect for the job)

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
I've ditched my pack cover. It's hard to find one big enough to go over my rifle, gets beat up and torn off in any brush, never seems to cover the entire pack (sides, belt etc) and is noisy. I did like having it for an emergency bivy of sorts, but I put anything that needs to stay dry in a lightweight dry sack (which I did even with a pack cover) and buying all optics and electronics that are waterproof. Then your pack becomes the protection for the waterproof sacks.

On a pure alpine hunt or an approach with maintained trails it would be great to have one.

OP
ddavis_1313
I've ditched my pack cover. It's hard to find one big enough to go over my rifle, gets beat up and torn off in any brush, never seems to cover the entire pack (sides, belt etc) and is noisy. I did like having it for an emergency bivy of sorts, but I put anything that needs to stay dry in a lightweight dry sack (which I did even with a pack cover) and buying all optics and electronics that are waterproof. Then your pack becomes the protection for the waterproof sacks.

On a pure alpine hunt or an approach with maintained trails it would be great to have one.

I see your method and seems legit. My usage of a pack cover will be for an all out down pour and I don’t plan on being very mobile. Just hunkered down and waiting for the storm to pass unless I’m trying to push through it to get to a park where elk may come out to feed after the passing storm. I’d hate to know how much my Kifaru reckoning would weigh full of gear and waterlogged. Lol

jhubbz

Lil-Rokslider
Where do you order a Jimmy tarp? Do they have a website?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BradNSW

FNG
On back country hunts always carry one.

Prevents having to bring in a moisture laden pack into your tent, which can get pretty damp, even w/o a wet pack during a few rainy days in a row.

Finally, like others said, it weighs less than the water the pack will absorb during a long day in the rain.

Etexag

FNG
I just came here to ask a similar question. Scouting this weekend in Colorado and rain is in the forecast. I am usisng a Mystery Ranch Marshall bad Do I need a cover? Also is the Jimmy the best option? Thanks in advanced.

I also like to take everything out of my pack that I think I’ll need for the night and leave the rest outside the tent/shelter. Also, you can use it in camp to keep other things dry as well, either from rain or ground moisture.
2d08d9b81ee72146bf0f928f41d6c319.jpg

8f613eaa2fd78b69571b9121b49d9bf3.jpg

8ad7dca164a5435a15fef92b1eaf982e.jpg

Every pack I have, has one inside.
Worth the cost to prevent problems imo.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You pretty much have to have them where I live and hunt, I just use one from kifaru and. Y wife has one from stone glacier. I do have a cover for my AGC Bino harness but a shower cap would work fine too.