Reckoning vs Cavern Debate

Wooderson604

Lil-Rokslider
I am on the fence between these two packs. I like the centre zip access and side slot pockets with the reckoning, but the side zip and fully enclosed spotting pocket on the Cavern is appealing as well. Let me know your thoughts on either pack from your experience.

I haven't had the reckoning, but I did order the Cavern and had the same debate. I chose cavern for:
1. side zip entry. I bow hunt a lot and when my bow is strapped to the front of pack I can still access through the side.
2. zip enclosed spotting scope pocket. Its huge so you can fit puffy jackets/rain coat along with the spotter for easy access.
3. The overall pack is a little bit bigger and its 15" wide compared to 12.5" of the reckoning for a only 2 additional ounces.

However, I ended up sending back the cavern and decided to go with the Muskeg bag instead.

OP
W

Wooderson604

Lil-Rokslider
I like the Muskeg too, but as per your reasons for the cavern over the reckoning, you bow hunt so will you not be adding additional pockets to the muskeg, strapping a bow to pockets does seem like a great system and will make the pockets inaccessible. Are you planning on putting your bow between the bag and lid and your spotter in the bag? Did you go with the 5000 or 7000?

I recently ordered and received the Reckoning, I love it! I was debating between the Crater, Cavern, and Reckoning.
Once I decided against the size of the Crater, it was between the Reckoning and Cavern.

The main reason I chose the Reckoning was for the full length zip in opposed to the part side zip that the Cavern has. I like getting into my bag as easily as possible. The side spotting scope pockets weren't too much of an issue for me in regards to being open or enclosed.

Either way, I think you'll be happy with either pack.

I like the Muskeg too, but as per your reasons for the cavern over the reckoning, you bow hunt so will you not be adding additional pockets to the muskeg, strapping a bow to pockets does seem like a great system and will make the pockets inaccessible. Are you planning on putting your bow between the bag and lid and your spotter in the bag? Did you go with the 5000 or 7000?

I went with the Muskeg 7000 for following reasons:

1. I do not use pouches on the side of the bag. So, when carrying a rifle the muskeg has the build in side sleeves for butt of gun or tripods legs. Saving the weight in this area by not using pouches.

2. I will not us pouches on the front when using a bow which is why I went with the 7000. I use pull outs for any organizations i need in the main bag. If I need any additional space or organization I will get the OG lid on top. Also, in cold weather rifle hunt my rifle will be on the side of the bag allowing me to add two large pouches to the front if I need even more room or organization due to more clothes, food and gear in cold weather.

3. The muskeg has 2 bow straps instead of 3. I actually liked this as in my experience you don't need 3 straps for a weapon, so my as well save the weight. bottom bow cam sits in the bottom strap handle and top straps secure bow.

4. The side zipper access is between the side compression straps and the front weapon straps. This means you can access the bag anytime without unbuckling straps and loosing compression for any small items you may need to get to. This actually was a key swing factor for me since I do not use many external pouches and I need to be able to get to my zipper swing out pouches easily.

5. Has a bladder sleeve. Definitely not a big deal but nice if or when your bladder leaks inside your bag.

So, to sum it up this works well for my style since I don't like a lot of pockets. I plan on using a small pouch on the belt, a water bottle holder and a medium or large pouch on the top fold down lid, which give me more than enough organization. My maps, P-cord, ground sheet, and game bags will be put in the front sleeve. Spotter will go on top under the fold down lid. In day mode, the spotter will go in the front sleeve where it will be protected.

It was an extremely tough decision for me between the cavern and the muskeg, but the muskeg got the nod as the cavern had more features than I needed.

OP
W

Wooderson604

Lil-Rokslider

1. I do not use pouches on the side of the bag. So, when carrying a rifle the muskeg has the build in side sleeves for butt of gun or tripods legs. Saving the weight in this area by not using pouches.

2. I will not us pouches on the front when using a bow which is why I went with the 7000. I use pull outs for any organizations i need in the main bag. If I need any additional space or organization I will get the OG lid on top. Also, in cold weather rifle hunt my rifle will be on the side of the bag allowing me to add two large pouches to the front if I need even more room or organization due to more clothes, food and gear in cold weather.

3. The muskeg has 2 bow straps instead of 3. I actually liked this as in my experience you don't need 3 straps for a weapon, so my as well save the weight. bottom bow cam sits in the bottom strap handle and top straps secure bow.

4. The side zipper access is between the side compression straps and the front weapon straps. This means you can access the bag anytime without unbuckling straps and loosing compression for any small items you may need to get to. This actually was a key swing factor for me since I do not use many external pouches and I need to be able to get to my zipper swing out pouches easily.

5. Has a bladder sleeve. Definitely not a big deal but nice if or when your bladder leaks inside your bag.

So, to sum it up this works well for my style since I don't like a lot of pockets. I plan on using a small pouch on the belt, a water bottle holder and a medium or large pouch on the top fold down lid, which give me more than enough organization. My maps, P-cord, ground sheet, and game bags will be put in the front sleeve. Spotter will go on top under the fold down lid. In day mode, the spotter will go in the front sleeve where it will be protected.

It was an extremely tough decision for me between the cavern and the muskeg, but the muskeg got the nod as the cavern had more features than I needed.

Awesome, thanks for the explanation. Looks like a great pack and I’m sure you’ll love it!

brocksw

WKR
I bought the reckoning... Set it up, returned it, bought the cavern, like it.

1.Didn't like putting bladder between Frame and bag and it didn't have a bladder sleeve.
2. Side pockets on th reckoning didn't hold my 85 mm spotter completely covered.
3. Also didn't like the compression strap on the top of the side pockets as I felt it was slower and less useful.

I did like the center zip though over the side zip though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

rbljack

WKR
I have gone round and round with this same debate....LOL. Reckoning, cavern, and for me...Fulcrum...decisions decisions.

sr80

WKR
Does the reckoning have the chamber pocket inside? If it has that a guy could have a water blatter bag inside there and then just cut a small hole in the bag for the hose

Does the reckoning have the chamber pocket inside? If it has that a guy could have a water blatter bag inside there and then just cut a small hole in the bag for the hose

It does have the chamber pocket....I think most people, myself included, like to stay away from having the bladder inside, in case it springs a leak.

bsnedeker

WKR
It does have the chamber pocket....I think most people, myself included, like to stay away from having the bladder inside, in case it springs a leak.

If you have the guide lid a water bladder works really well in the bottom pocket of that thing. I went with the Crater but was thinking seriously about sewing in a bladder hanger on the back of the bag like the Reckoning. Someone on the forum suggested I try it in the guide lid and it works extremely well so that's what I'm going with. I went with the Crater for the exact reasons listed by Fins_n_Tines for the Cavern.

colersu22

WKR

Can you post some pics with your rifle in the side sleeve? Maybe it’s just the pictures on Kifaru but I’m not seeing a side sleeve.