Woodsman question

Tradchef

WKR
So I just went from my stone glacier r3 3300 to a kifaru woodsman with duplex lite 24” frame. The 24” fits me way better. My question is for day hunting is the woodsman too big? I know it’s a great overnight to a few days afield but most of my hunting is day hunts to half day hunts due to restaurant life. I spoke to frank at kifaru and he suggested the 22mag or the woodsman. I opted for the woodsie because I do hunt solo and while I don’t pack a lot of stuff and hunt minimally I do haul a good bit of meat every year and I was thinking having a little larger pack would help minimize trips. Should I stay as is or send it back and get a smaller bag to run on this frame? I have three weeks to decide before my 30 days is up on swapping it out. Any input would be much appreciated.

Scott

colersu22

WKR
I have used the woodsman for day hunts and 3-5 day hunts for the last 2 seasons and love it. There is times I wish I had the reckoning but for the longer trips I use a roll top pod on the lower section of frame. I think the woodsman is a great day pack and I have always used the meat shelf for game, the only thing I’m not a huge fan of is how the bladder is designed to work so I switched to just using nalgene bottles instead of the bladder.

OP
Tradchef

Tradchef

WKR
Yeah man.....it’s a little funky. I use bottles too but I might grab the Stone Glacier bladder sleeve again and run it from the inside but I don’t think there is a hose port on the side of the pack. Have you found the straps to be cumbersome at all? I just need to get used to having a few more as my r3 was pretty minimal.

marktole

WKR
I’ve used a 22 mag pretty extensively for day hunting and really like it. I’ve hauled a whole mule deer minus the head and cape out in one load, but had to have the third guy in our party carry a lot of my gear to get it all to fit. If there is even a chance you’ll be solo hunting and have to carry out meat, or do an overnight trip, I’d stay with the woodsman.

I’ve done an overnight scouting trip out of my 22 mag, but it was busting at the seams. The few extra items I would need for hunting that wasn’t included in that scouting gear would’ve been enough to make the 22 mag too small for me.

I don’t know if this is even in your list of considerations, but the reckoning cinches very nicely into day pack size and has a great layout similar to the woodsman. Would easily be big enough to haul all the meat and gear you could fit.

Hope that helps!

colersu22

WKR
Yeah man.....it’s a little funky. I use bottles too but I might grab the Stone Glacier bladder sleeve again and run it from the inside but I don’t think there is a hose port on the side of the pack. Have you found the straps to be cumbersome at all? I just need to get used to having a few more as my r3 was pretty minimal.

I use the webbing dominators for the straps since there is a lot of extra so it keeps everything tight and clean looking.

OP
Tradchef

Tradchef

WKR
I’ve used a 22 mag pretty extensively for day hunting and really like it. I’ve hauled a whole mule deer minus the head and cape out in one load, but had to have the third guy in our party carry a lot of my gear to get it all to fit. If there is even a chance you’ll be solo hunting and have to carry out meat, or do an overnight trip, I’d stay with the woodsman.

I’ve done an overnight scouting trip out of my 22 mag, but it was busting at the seams. The few extra items I would need for hunting that wasn’t included in that scouting gear would’ve been enough to make the 22 mag too small for me.

I don’t know if this is even in your list of considerations, but the reckoning cinches very nicely into day pack size and has a great layout similar to the woodsman. Would easily be big enough to haul all the meat and gear you could fit.

Hope that helps!

Man....I was going back and forth between the woodsman and reckoning. If I was doing week long pack outs I’d donreckoning for sure. I went with the woodsman and the guide lid instead. Seems like overall I got the right bag. Yes...I almost always solo so I like to have some extra space for meat and gear to minimize trips

sveltri

WKR
I really like and prefer the woodsman over the 22 mag, especially for day hunts. The woodsman is ideal 90% of the time for me.

oldgoat

WKR
No it's not too big, especially with a guide lid to keep it compacted and then use the lid for quick access stuff and you have the bag to haul in if you're successful. My wife runs hers that way and hunts with it every day when we are up after camp is set.

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
I've had the woodsman plus guide lid for a year now and I'm a huge fan. I think cinching the bag down and just using the guide lid for day trips is perfect for me.

kupper

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my woodsman for day hunts. Like many others I added the guide lid but that's only because I also use mine for multiple days and like the extra space. It packs down extremely small so I normally keep items I don't need all the time in the bag itself and then spotter/tripod on the sides. I did also add a spotter pocket just for speed and convenience. For me the beat will go between the bag and frame so that's no really an issue when packing out.

matthewmt

WKR
I'm currently running the woodsman with grab it and a couple pouches. Have a guide lid I want to throw on but I think it's plenty of space for multi day hunts especially with a dry bag for camp goods etc if more room is needed. Had a mountain warrior before and found it to be more room than needed and pockets than needed.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OP
Tradchef

Tradchef

WKR
I ran the pack on a scouting trip on my day off. Not sure what I was thinking but it seems almost perfect for size for what I am in need of. I’m looking forward to putting it to use this season for sure. The new duplex lite frame was pretty dang slick.

Skull10

WKR
That's what I have with my Woodsman. I run a pod underneath with my slick bag inside it. Saves pack space for hike into camp location. Once I'm there, I strip it down and sinch it up with just the OGL

colersu22

WKR
What frame is most poular for the woodsman? 24"?

I swap mine between a 24” tactical and 26” tactical, just depends on where I am hunting and how thick it is. I like the 26” for the extra load lifting but I packed a rear elk quarter no problem with my 24” frame and woodsman no problem.

Skull10

WKR
I swap mine between a 24” tactical and 26” tactical, just depends on where I am hunting and how thick it is. I like the 26” for the extra load lifting but I packed a rear elk quarter no problem with my 24” frame and woodsman no problem.
I AM CONSIDERING GOING FROM MY 24" TACTICAL FRAME TO A 26" TACTICAL FRAME. i TRAIN WITH A HEAVY PACK AND HOPE TO HAUL ELK QUARTERS WITH IT. i KNOW THE 24" SHOULD FIT ME FINE FOR MY MEASUREMENTS, BUT IT SEEMS LIKE i CAN'T GET ENOUGH LOAD LIFTER ANGLE OUT OF THE 24.

Do you see any disadvantages from going to a 26" frame? Is it worth it for the the extra load lifter angle?

colersu22

WKR
I AM CONSIDERING GOING FROM MY 24" TACTICAL FRAME TO A 26" TACTICAL FRAME. i TRAIN WITH A HEAVY PACK AND HOPE TO HAUL ELK QUARTERS WITH IT. i KNOW THE 24" SHOULD FIT ME FINE FOR MY MEASUREMENTS, BUT IT SEEMS LIKE i CAN'T GET ENOUGH LOAD LIFTER ANGLE OUT OF THE 24.

Do you see any disadvantages from going to a 26" frame? Is it worth it for the the extra load lifter angle?

Hunting in western Washington is very thick so I catch the frame more on branches and stuff with the 26” frame vs my 24” frame. I do like the 26” for hauling though because of the extra height for the load lifters.

Skull10

WKR
That's good feedback, not sure it will be too much of an issue where I'm hunting in Colorado. Or here in NC, doing backcountry Whitetail hunting. I'll keep that in mind though before making a decision.