Pick My Pack Under $500

ChrisAU

WKR
Been planning for a couple weeks for my first ever OTC public land elk hunt. It will be me and a buddy, 2nd rifle. Initially I threw a Alps Commander Z frame and back on my Amazon wish list and considered it done. Now I realize it is a much more important piece of equipment. I assume I should stay away from the Alps? We will be hunting for 5-6 days solid. We both need a large pack to carry stuff in, and keep in mind I will not in the forseeable future be hunting alone, so camp supplies can be spread out between the both of us.

I've been looking at Kuiu, and at the Mystery Ranch deals at Mountain Archery. Would a Metcalf be big enough? What size Kuiu should I be looking at? We are selecting gear with ergonomics and weight in mind.

There are several Kifaru bags and frames in the classifieds here in the $500-$550 range. That is where I picked mine up, and am very pleased with it.

KurtR

WKR
yep one of the used packs in classifieds would be the best bet. i went that 500 dollar new route and would have been better off buying a used high end to start.

amp713

WKR
I've tried badlands, horn hunter, non hunting companies, a few kifarus, a stone glacier, and I'm back to a kifaru.

I think they are the best fit out there and I've classified shopped for everything until this year and I got the new frame and muskeg.

Not all frames fit all people but get the measurements you need and find one thats right and learn how to adjust it.

Exo stone, kifaru and mystery ranch all hold a high place with DIY guys for a reason in my opinion. Look for used and rock it

I have the MR Marshall and think its a great option for the price. My buddy has a Kifaru Hunter frame/Reckoning that I have compared it to and although I like the Kifaru belt better, I like the Marshall bag better and am really happy with the GL frame, especially at the $400 price range, you are getting a lot of quality for the money with the Marshall.

HighVoltageHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have used Kifaru (extensively), tried on Kuiu and Mystery Ranch (with no weight), 2 Stone Glacier frames with 50lbs.
IMO Kifaru was by far the most comfortable and best built.
Kuiu was the most uncomfortable (even empty) at the lumbar region. I couldn’t imagine carrying a heavy load with it.
Even though weight will be shared with your hunting partner when you pack out an animal you will appreciate having a well built comfortable pack.
You should be able to find a Kifaru on here within your budget.

Jeffh0214

FNG
For a new pack under $500, I would definitely give Seek Outside a look. Apples to apples, their Goshawk 4800 comes in slightly larger than the Metcalf, also has a load shelf, and weighs almost 2.5 lbs less (3 lbs, 11 oz per their website). They have plenty of other options under your $500 price point as well. They have great customer service too so I would definitely give them a holler if you have any questions.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would say if you want new, and to be under $500, I would by the Kuiu Ultra 7000 based on what you described.

If you are willing to buy used, that opens up a lot of potential packs. There are plenty of different style bags and frames out there, so you would need to narrow it down to what your pack style and needs are.

Call me anytime if you have questions.

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
I'd give Seek Outside a look. They offer amazing packs. I used Mystery Ranch and Kifaru both for a couple seasons and can't find myself switching from Seek Outside's suspension. Seek Outside's suspension fits my body best. Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, and Seek Outside all offer some amazing packs (along with a few other companies). Take your time, do your research, and try to test some of the options you are considering before buying (if possible).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

bozeman

WKR
I’ve gone thru Kifaru, Exo and Mystery Ranch.....all top notch. The new Mystery Ranch Guide light has been my most comfortable frame.........try on several as they all fit people differently. Good luck on your search!

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
A note will be that we wont bivy...we will hike 2-3 miles, set up camp, and then hunt out of a smaller day pack. Although I do like the idea of carrying the larger pack nearly empty so that in the event I kill an elk I don't have to make a trip back to camp just for the pack? Is that the norm?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes that is normal. It may sound like a good idea to pack a day pack when hunting out of a base camp, but unless you have stock and are using them to haul your gear, why would you pack an extra pack in. That is another three or four pounds on your back.

Most good big packs will compress down for day pack mode without any difficulties.

I think you'd be pretty happy with either a MR or a Kuiu. The MR packs are very comfy, but a little heavier than some others. This is just based off of the NICE frame and the Pop Up series, but I hear the Guide Lite is even better. I wouldn't hesitate to get a Metcalf or Marshall, or even a Cabinet(it sucks up nice for a day pack once you unload it).

I've got an Icon Pro 3200 that I really like too. I've only packed about 40lbs in it, but it was pretty comfy.

IMO, for the price range you're looking at, I'd PROBABLY go with a MR over the Kuiu, but don't let the Kuiu haters scare you off from them either. I really do like mine.

Trial153

WKR
New pack? You won’t find a better value then a MR on a guide Lite frame.

Haneydew

FNG
Just picked up the mystery ranch 50 liter terraframe 3 zip for 279.00 on steep and cheap. I got the last medium but I think they had one large and extra large left. Also try Backcountry, I think they had it for 299.00 . I've done months of research and you won't find anything that comes close to this pack for under 300.00. they also make it in a 80 liter.

LostArra

WKR
Yes that is normal. It may sound like a good idea to pack a day pack when hunting out of a base camp, but unless you have stock and are using them to haul your gear, why would you pack an extra pack in. That is another three or four pounds on your back.

Most good big packs will compress down for day pack mode without any difficulties.

+1
Not as critical in rifle season, in fact, a bigger pack can make a good rest. In archery season just make sure you can shoot with the cinched down pack on because stuff happens fast and you may not have time to drop it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk