SG and EXO hip belts causing discomfort. Try Kifaru?

I've now owned both of the current Stone Glacier frames and the Exo K2 with the new 2018 belt. I get the same hip pain from all 3 frames with 40-60 lbs right on the very front of my hip bones. Apparently I have really boney hips. Stone glacier was uncomfortable from the get go and the exo feels good until I've been hiking a few miles then I can start to feel it and then the next day my hips are pretty sore. It's not rubbed raw but rather bruised and tender to the touch after hiking just a few miles. I felt like I needed to really cinch these belts down tight to keep them from slipping so maybe that is what causes the discomfort, I have no idea. The only frame/belt I haven't tried is a Kifaru. Should I give the new ultralite frame a go or do you guys think I'll experience the same issues? This is getting annoying considering I haven't even loaded up a big load yet and the discomfort has been caused with normal camp weights. I'm 5'10" 175 lbs athletic build. Any advice is appreciated.

colersu22

WKR
Where are you located in Wa? I have a couple frames but the belts would be close since they are mediums but if your close to Redmond we could hike by my place and you could try out a bikini frame and tactical frame with 60lb sand bags.

amp713

WKR
I didn't have the pain up front but along my back with the stone glacier. I'd ran a bikini frame before and knew it wasnt right, I fought forever to try to adjust it to not bug me and finally gave up.

Ordered the new ultralite and it's even better than my bikini frame was. I'd say the risk is totally worth it.... or just hunt classifieds for a used duplex frame and just try it out.

Mike7

WKR
One option is getting a Kifaru duplex hip belt and putting it on a Stone Glacier frame as a trial. That's what I did and I am really liking it so far. It doesn't take much sewing. I sewed it by hand.

I prefer the adjustable SG butt/sacral pad to my older Kifaru timberline butt pad anyway, but for me the foam in the SG belt with my x-curve is just a little too thick/dense/straight to be optimum...even when playing around with the adjustment straps on the SG hip belt.

The Kifaru hip belt is just right for me with its anatomic curve and foam density/thickness.

im about a 35-36 inch waist and used the medium belt from SG per their spec sheet and it was a little uncomfortable bc it didnt wrap around my hips enough. they switched the med out for the larger belt and that rly helped. I have ran exo kifaru and kuius and i will say that kifaru has the best belt out of all of them. maybe call SG though and explain your issue they will more than go out of their way to try and solve the problem for you.

Last edited:
OP
MuleDeerMike
Where are you located in Wa? I have a couple frames but the belts would be close since they are mediums but if your close to Redmond we could hike by my place and you could try out a bikini frame and tactical frame with 60lb sand bags.
I saw you tried to send a PM. I just cleared up some space in my inbox.

HighVoltageHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have an original duplex frame and it’s very comfortable but my new duplex lite frame is even more comfortable. With the different stay options you will find a great fit.
I have tried on Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch and Kuiu as well and IMO Kifaru’s belt and frame system was the most comfortable and best design/build by far. Especially in the lumbar region.

Kurtm2323

FNG
I'm about the same size, 5' 9" and 170 lbs, and the EXO belt gave me the same issues. Bruised hips with anything over 45 lbs and it felt like I couldn't get the waistbelt tight enough. I went with the duplex light and so far it is great. The waist belt just feels so much better on me, definitely don't regret the switch.

im about a 35-36 inch waist and used the medium belt from SG per their spec sheet and it wasnt a little uncomfortable bc it didnt wrap around my hips enough. they switched the med out for the larger belt and that rly helped. I have ran exo kifaru and kuius and i will say that kifaru has the best belt out of all of them. maybe call SG though and explain your issue they will more than go out of their way to try and solve the problem for you.

I’m similarly sized and had the same issues. SG swapped the medium for a large and now I get much better coverage

Try shortening the yoke and starting the belt up around your belly button.
My exo ate my hips at 1st.
Had to shorten it a couple times.
Do you have the 2018 belt?
I had 100lbs salt in my exo a couple weeks ago and no problems.

I struggled with the same thing on my KUIU pack for a little bit, I believe it all has to do with the height in the hip belt and how tight you need it. I’m a similar build to you and was tightening it to the point that it was compressing my abs, and it was impossible to re-clip the buckle if I didn’t let out a ton of slack.

I ended up focusing on getting the hip belt to sit where the center of it was right over the front of my hip bones. I then used the shoulder straps rather than hip belt tightness to keep it from sliding down. Previously I was about 90/10 with the weight on my hips vs shoulders, now I’m around 70/30. I can now suck my stomach in, fasten my hip belt, and not need to tighten it any more, which has really cut down on the discomfort.

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have any experience with SG or Exo belts, but I do have a Kifaru duplex lite and I really like the belt on it. Kifaru has a reputation for their belts it seems. Lots of folks prefer them over others, so I wouldn't hesitate to give it a shot!

I've now owned both of the current Stone Glacier frames and the Exo K2 with the new 2018 belt. I get the same hip pain from all 3 frames with 40-60 lbs right on the very front of my hip bones. Apparently I have really boney hips. Stone glacier was uncomfortable from the get go and the exo feels good until I've been hiking a few miles then I can start to feel it and then the next day my hips are pretty sore. It's not rubbed raw but rather bruised and tender to the touch after hiking just a few miles. I felt like I needed to really cinch these belts down tight to keep them from slipping so maybe that is what causes the discomfort, I have no idea. The only frame/belt I haven't tried is a Kifaru. Should I give the new ultralite frame a go or do you guys think I'll experience the same issues? This is getting annoying considering I haven't even loaded up a big load yet and the discomfort has been caused with normal camp weights. I'm 5'10" 175 lbs athletic build. Any advice is appreciated.

may want to try this hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/6/ProductID/11 talk to Evan they can fit these to a bunch of diff. packs

JNDEER

WKR
Don't have a stony, but felt like the 2017 EXO belt fit better than my 2018 EXO belt.

Take a look at Seek Outside too. SO's newer hip belt has a double buckle system where you can tailor the tightness of the upper and lower part of the hipbelt. Might be worth a look.

Mike, make sure the belt padding is covering the front of your hips. And yes, i wold try the new Kifaru frame. Talk with them and explain your problem. They'll make a belt that should work.

I could never get a SG pack to fit and carry comfortable. Exo was not bad. What I have found and now swear by is SEEK OUTSIDE. No lumbar of just a very thin lumbar pad. INCREDIBLY COMFORTABLE

OP
MuleDeerMike
Exo sent me a modified medium belt and all the pain and discomfort was completely eliminated and it was super comfortable but the issue I have now with this new belt is getting the belt tight enough. It seems like I can't cinch it down enough which makes the load slip when hiking. I went ahead and ordered a new Kifaru light frame this morning and will throw the exo bag on that if it works out. Thanks for all the input.