Kifaru Nomad 2 or Cargo Panel with Guide lid?

Ajstro

FNG
I'm trying to decide between a Nomad 2 or a Cargo Panel w/guide lid. I've read individual write-ups about both systems, and it seems like everyone that runs either system is pretty happy with its versatility. I haven't read anything comparing the two, and I'm trying to figure out if one outperforms the other. I know there's a 100 ways to skin a cat, and these two systems are based on the same ideology of being a small pack that can size up as required. I'm looking for a pack that can get through a 5 day hunt just as easily as doing a day hunt. For those extended trips I would use the OR dry bag or something comparable. I'm mostly a bow hunter, and I want to be able to strap my bow to the back. I imagine running a Cargo Panel with bulky pockets on the outside would keep me from being able to strap the bow hence the guide lid requirement. I have also heard of people putting a cargo panel over the original Nomad. Is this another option worth exploring for the Nomad 2?

I've looked at the Reckoning, Cavern and Muskeg as other options, but at the end of the day I don't want a bulky bag compressed down for a day hunt. This seems unnecessary when compared to the Nomad 2 or Cargo panel in that I could simply drop off the bulky main dry bag, and set the pack back to its original minimal set up.

Incase it matters I am mostly a solo hunter.

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
I'd look at doing both. I just picked up an original nomad to play around with. The cargo panel has been awesome so far. The cargo panel with two pockets on the front with the 55 OR dry sack has pretty good volume. The cargo panel with the nomad looks like it can go Beverly Hillbilly style. Throw in the guide lid with one or the other or both and the possibilities are endless. The nomad looks awesome for day pack mode.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Nomad 2 with lid is the route I chose - you can see it in the article I recently submitted here: http://www.rokslide.com/forums/gene...pable-striving-competent-chas-carmichael.html

Daypack mode was the deciding choice for me as most of my hunts are day hunts from a base camp, but I wanted the flexibility to pack in for my elk hunt this year. I leave the lid and one pocket loaded with my day hunt gear for all of my hunts and load up the rest when needed for scouting and pack trips. Instead of a cargo panel (I debated on it) I ordered an extra set of compression straps that I keep in the lid should the need arise.

Last edited:
OP
A

Ajstro

FNG
Nomad 2 with lid is the route I chose - you can see it in the article I recently submitted here: http://www.rokslide.com/forums/gene...pable-striving-competent-chas-carmichael.html

Daypack mode was the deciding choice for me as most of my hunts are day hunts from a base camp, but I wanted the flexibility to pack in for my elk hunt this year. I leave the lid and one pocket loaded with my day hunt gear for all of my hunts and load up the rest when needed for scouting and pack trips. Instead of a cargo panel (I debated on it) I ordered an extra set of compression straps that I keep in the lid should the need arise.

I just finished the article. Thanks for sharing the link. I think I'm leaning more toward the Nomad 2. The only negative drawback I see is that the Nomad 2 doesn't have a meat shelf and that you would need the cargo panel or Compression straps to load meat. For weight distribution I'd rather have the meat up against my back rather than on the outside of the pack. I think this might be a point where the Cargo panel would perform better. Have you packed out much weight with the meat strapped to the outside of the Nomad 2?

I just finished the article. Thanks for sharing the link. I think I'm leaning more toward the Nomad 2. The only negative drawback I see is that the Nomad 2 doesn't have a meat shelf and that you would need the cargo panel or Compression straps to load meat. For weight distribution I'd rather have the meat up against my back rather than on the outside of the pack. I think this might be a point where the Cargo panel would perform better. Have you packed out much weight with the meat strapped to the outside of the Nomad 2?

I think most guys would use a grab-it as a meat shelf with the Nomad/Nomad 2 set ups. The grab-it works as a stand alone meat shelf with just the frame and no bag as well.

For the record- I have a cargo panel set up for this scenario. I like, but have also thought about the nomad/nomad 2 route as well. Probably can't go wrong either way. Both of the systems are amazingly adaptive to whatever you might want to do.

I just got the Nomad 2 so no meat packs yet. The blaze orange you see at the bottom of the pack is a Grab-It. Meat lays directly against the frame inside of the Nomad wings with the bottom of the meat resting on the Grab-It, compression straps then hold the meat stable against the frame and the wings close over the top of everything. I had an Eberle Mainframe with wings prior to the Nomad, hauled several elk quarters on that one, and there the meat also laid directly against the frame inside of the wings. This is the same way I run a big dry bag when packing in for a remote camp.

Last edited:

Queets30#

Lil-Rokslider
I run the nomad with the guide lid, grab it 2, and 2 large pouches on frame between/under the two nomad bag pouches. Works great and compressed to day pack mode extremely well. Very happy, great set up. Packs elk and gear well.

OP
A

Ajstro

FNG
I didn't realize the Grab it could be used as a meat shelf. Thats a game changer for me.

For those that are using the Guide lid in conjunction with the Nomad 2, which system are you using for your day hunts while on extended hunting trips? Are you solely using the Guide Lid, or detaching it, leaving it at camp, and using the Nomad 2 as your day pack?

I'm going to go with the Nomad 2, OR dry bag, and Grab it. I'll load the pack for a 5 day trip and if I don't have enough room I'll get the Guide lid.

oldgoat

WKR
Own both, well I have original Nomad, I think Nomad with grab it and lid is a much better more versatile route. But both are good I know a number of people that use the Cargo Panel and Lid combo.

AKironhead

Lil-Rokslider
I have used both setups pretty extensively. I prefer the nomad + grab it for a modular system. As your amount of gear increases the nomad allows you to go wider while staying closer to your spine/center of gravity. With the grab it as a meat shelf on the nomad there are a ton of mounting points so it's easier to keep the meat higher on your back so you don't end up with a meat basket ball at the bottom of the pack. As for day pack mode. the nomad can get really small if you stack one pod on top of the other. I run it like that all the time and it works great. Here are some pics of each mode sans guide lid.

This is 3-5 day mode using a SG load cell
nomad2-2.jpg

Over night mode
nomad2-3.jpg

Day pack mode w/o spotter
nomad2-4.jpg

With grab it
nomad2-5.jpg

nomad2-6.jpg

Last edited:

mcseal2

WKR
I haven't packed meat with it yet, but I bought the Nomad 2, Grab It, and Guide lid for my moose hunt in AK this fall. I have a dry bag to run between the wings with rain gear and such until a moose is down. I got extra compression straps and the tactical frame for this. I have an Exo 3500 I'll use for most of my hunting so I went extra stout with this one. Depending on how I like it as I get more miles in with it I might hunt with the Exo and keep the Kifaru in the vehicle on elk hunts for packing meat after the first load.

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
When I bought my setup I was wanting to get in the duplex frame and I couldn't swing a bag to go with it. So I went with the cargo panel. I scraped a little more and got a guide lid a week or two later. I sourced the OR 55L dry bag locally and a couple tactical pouches from a friend. As I have started playing with the cargo panel setup, I have found that the volume for extended trips has come up a little short. I decided to pick up the nomad a week or so ago as I saw where some people had incorporated the two pieces together. I really like all the possibilities of different setups. Don't get me wrong this thing is pretty heavy but if you can dream up carrying it you can probably strap it on. To make a long story longer if you pick one or the other you will still be thinking of what the other could do in certain situations. Kifaru has a darn good thing going with the modularity of their systems. I'll add a true packbag to my arsenal soon enough and a little of this and a little of that. I love this stuff and can't wait to get more.
f594de826ae2d7be2729311340230fb1.jpg
42ff52409f21e7493e1ff5535db5375a.jpg
504422a483d6e54e7e013fa03b4ef46e.jpg

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk