Kifaru Weights

Trial153

WKR
Making new stuff just to make new stuff isnt limited to Kifaru unfortunately Seems likes it the new normal for every thing outdoors

sr80

WKR
A lightweight bag can still be made out of 500D cordura and be durable. I think JP is just saying it would be nice to have some more options. Who knows, maybe they are revamping their argali, markhor and tahr type bags?

I don't know what you could want if they do not currently offer it. It really is pretty ridiculous to suggest that you want more options from Kifaru. They are the only pack maker that does/have done what they do. They offer/have offered you so many options people seem to be over looking them or, forgetting about what they have done. I'm beginning to wander if people are starting these threads for ulterior motives. Because the ONE thing you cannot say about Kifaru is their lack of offerings to all markets and hunters. However, you can say that FOR ANY other pack maker out there. No one does though. Just Kifaru. Then to complain about gear that meets or exceeds Kifaru claims is beyond understanding. No one is that dumb. There has to be ore to this.

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
I don't know what you could want if they do not currently offer it. It really is pretty ridiculous to suggest that you want more options from Kifaru. They are the only pack maker that does/have done what they do. They offer/have offered you so many options people seem to be over looking them or, forgetting about what they have done. I'm beginning to wander if people are starting these threads for ulterior motives. Because the ONE thing you cannot say about Kifaru is their lack of offerings to all markets and hunters. However, you can say that FOR ANY other pack maker out there. No one does though. Just Kifaru. Then to complain about gear that meets or exceeds Kifaru claims is beyond understanding. No one is that dumb. There has to be ore to this.

I think you have kind of missed what I was getting at.
You can have a good durable pack with a solid harness with out massive weights. The tactical frame with an Argali bag is lighter than the muskeg on a 'light frame' and is probably more durable and just as comfortable. So whats the point of the new frame? they could have kept what they had, seems like they have gone to alot of trouble to try and create a 'light weight' set up, when actually they didnt achieve anything lighter than their previous offerings.

Kifaru makes ALOT of bags, too many I think. But they dont make a simple light bag, they used to, but stopped for what ever reason. Alot of us just want a bag with no pouches,zippers,pockets, or other stuff that is just annoying and heavy. The Argali/Markhor/Tahr were that bag, seemingly they 'replaced' them with the Muskeg series, but somehow made them way heavier, even though X-Pac is a lighter material than 500D.
I know brands(especially in America) like to to keep up with the 'new season, new gear' consumer market, but I though Kifaru was somehow a little different.

You can have a good durable pack with a solid harness with out massive weights. The tactical frame with an Argali bag is lighter than the muskeg on a 'light frame' and is probably more durable and just as comfortable. So whats the point of the new frame? they could have kept what they had, seems like they have gone to alot of trouble to try and create a 'light weight' set up, when actually they didnt achieve anything lighter than their previous offerings.

Kifaru makes ALOT of bags, too many I think. But they dont make a simple light bag, they used to, but stopped for what ever reason. Alot of us just want a bag with no pouches,zippers,pockets, or other stuff that is just annoying and heavy. The Argali/Markhor/Tahr were that bag, seemingly they 'replaced' them with the Muskeg series, but somehow made them way heavier, even though X-Pac is a lighter material than 500D.
I know brands(especially in America) like to to keep up with the 'new season, new gear' consumer market, but I though Kifaru was somehow a little different.

I agree, but it does work for them. I had a new light frame and muskeg bag and a couple of pockets in my cart on Kifaru.com. I was going to replace my tactical frame, woodsman and the couple pockets I have. I then did the same thing. I added up the weight of everything and it was going to save me less than 1 pound. I have more than 1 pound of weight to loose off of me. Kifaru is in the business to stay in business and that means selling packs. I do think they listened and came out with a lighter frame and listened and came out with a more waterproof pack. I do agree that the timing made us think that the Muskeg series were a lighter series, but I really think their goal was more waterproof. I see what you are saying. It would be nice if they would make a simple bag for those of you that want that. It seems like it might even be easier to make since it would have less stuff. As for me, I need to be happy with the best backpack I have ever owned (woodsman on tactical frame), and loose the pound off of me.

bsnedeker

WKR

Hey buddy, no offense but I think you are missing the point as well: Kifaru is a small company. A small company that tries to be everything to everyone is not going to be successful, this is especially true for retail and manufacturing businesses like Kifaru. Kifaru, as a company, decided to focus their designs on durability and hauling comfort, not light weight.

As you said, they have tried light weight bags in the past and they have decided not to produce them any longer. The reasons they made that decision are well documented...I explained it earlier in this thread. There are numerous backpack companies that do focus on light weight bags and frames, Kifaru has decided not to compete in that market and they have been very successful with that model so they have no incentive to invest in that market.

As to your question of why they would bother to make a light weight frame, here is my opinion: From conversations with the guys on the phone at Kifaru they seem to feel very strongly that the new frame is just as durable and capable as the current frame (if not more so), and it also shaves a few ounces. If user experience and testimonials bear that out I'm willing to bet that Kifaru will phase out the duplex hunter frame from there lineup completely as there would be no reason for anyone to choose it over the new frame.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

HighVoltageHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Not everyone is running the same set up as you (jp100). The point of the new frame is that its almost 1lb lighter than its predecessor and IMO more comfortable, carries weight better and has better ventilation along my back. No matter what set up you have if you upgraded from the original duplex or tactical frame to the lite or ultra lite frame you save a pound. If Kifaru claimed their new frame combined with the muskeg bags as their lightest setup ever sold, I missed it. More so, I have not heard Kifaru claim that they strive to be the lightest pack company out there but focus more on durability, quality and comfort; which they achieve without question. I personally would rather have the later over the former and that is why I chose Kifaru. I run a business and people who use my services know their getting quality and customer service over speed/production. If their looking for the later there are plenty of other companies that can meet their needs.
You can only share with a company what you are looking for (which I wonder if you’ve done that?) you can’t morph a company into what you want them to be. If Kifaru doesn’t meet you needs, just move on.

I didn't miss your point. You proved mine. There are only about 10 bags a week that fit that description on the classifieds. Also, the Argali is a light bag. If you don't have the patience to wait on one, have a simple one made.

You really are confusing this and missing their objective. They never claimed the Muskeg bags were light. Only the new frames. And, Kifaru frames are competitive with the weights of their competitors with their light offerings. They've made too many simple, light bags that fit what you say you want, I won't list them all. Find one and pair it with your new frame.

I hope Kifaru makes another simple bag like the Markhor in the future. I also have a Warrior and while it carries a lot of gear, the straps drive me crazy.

For me its not about the weight. I just like simple.

Lawnboi

WKR
I'd buy an updated multicam argali. I should have bought one when they had them. I like the big bag with a spotter pocket and lid for certain applications

bsnedeker

WKR
I'd buy an updated multicam argali. I should have bought one when they had them. I like the big bag with a spotter pocket and lid for certain applications
Sounds like you want a Crater!

I almost bought one of the multicam argalis when they were in the rhino den... Heck of a deal!

Lawnboi

WKR
Sounds like you want a Crater!

I almost bought one of the multicam argalis when they were in the rhino den... Heck of a deal!

I don't know if I'd like how the crater sucks down. I still have a highcamp, and with a spotter pocket, compressed with day gear it works about perfect. The crater is a bit heavier as well.

I should have bought a rhino den multicam argali. Hard to d though when I just bought a fulcrum. Now I'm thinking of running my highcamp still on trips when weight matters. Lots of options

bsnedeker

WKR
I don't know if I'd like how the crater sucks down. I still have a highcamp, and with a spotter pocket, compressed with day gear it works about perfect. The crater is a bit heavier as well.

I should have bought a rhino den multicam argali. Hard to d though when I just bought a fulcrum. Now I'm thinking of running my highcamp still on trips when weight matters. Lots of options

It sucks down really well in my opinion. I have my loaded up right now with 40 lbs of sand and it's really thin and narrow. Getting all the extra straps wrapped up is a pain though!

Ironman8

WKR
I got one of the Multicam Argalis on sale...then had pods (Rugged Stitching) add a side zip on each side. Added some weight but also a ton of functionality! Sometimes weight isn’t everything.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I would buy one too, I was dumb and got a tahr omduring the thanksgiving sale last year, realized it wouldn’t really work for me and sold at at a loss, I should here grabbed an argali instead.

I ended up with a SG solo for my light weight pack.

sr80

WKR
Seems like the argali is getting a bit of love now. Be hard for me to switch to something else, ive got a spotter pocket on the front, with two horizontal compression straps running around it to keep it tight. With the spotter pocket i can use this pack for a day pack and hardly not ever need to get inside the main bag. Weighs in a just a hair over 6lbs with small belt pouch, MR water bottle holder and the added straps. Sucks down great too

JD619er

WKR
I had an argali, sold it and tried a mountain warrior. Missed the argali! Now I've got a tahr with a side zip access and it's great but I feel myself wanting to try a dt2 because it has every pocket I could need and I like the bottom access.

I had an argali, sold it and tried a mountain warrior. Missed the argali! Now I've got a tahr with a side zip access and it's great but I feel myself wanting to try a dt2 because it has every pocket I could need and I like the bottom access.

I really like the DT2. It is a very nice pack. Good organization.