Kifaru Weights

JP100

WKR
Hi Guys
was just weighing some gear last night and this is what I have got(frames had one pouch each on the belt, Bags had all straps on)

Kifaru Tactical Frame- 1800 grams/64oz

Kifaru Light frame- 1600 grams/56oz

Argali Bag- 830 grams/30oz

Muskeg 7000- 1250 grams/42oz

Fulcrum- 1550 grams/55oz

Scope Pocket-170 grams/6oz

Guide Lid- 320 grams/11oz

Muskeg Organizer Lid- 280 grams/10oz

Honestly a little surprised and disappointed with the new Muskeg and light frame.
Running the tactical frame and Argali bag is LIGHTER than the new frame and Muskeg.(although a little smaller bag)

Anyone else got actual weights on the new frames/bags??

I was looking at the weights on their web site. I was looking to get the new light frame with the muskeg bag but seen it would not save much weight over my tactical frame and woodsman.

bsnedeker

WKR
Hi Guys
was just weighing some gear last night and this is what I have got(frames had one pouch each on the belt, Bags had all straps on)

Kifaru Tactical Frame- 1800 grams/64oz

Kifaru Light frame- 1600 grams/56oz

Argali Bag- 830 grams/30oz

Muskeg 7000- 1250 grams/42oz

Fulcrum- 1550 grams/55oz

Scope Pocket-170 grams/6oz

Guide Lid- 320 grams/11oz

Muskeg Organizer Lid- 280 grams/10oz

Honestly a little surprised and disappointed with the new Muskeg and light frame.
Running the tactical frame and Argali bag is LIGHTER than the new frame and Muskeg.(although a little smaller bag)

Anyone else got actual weights on the new frames/bags??

Those weights seem REALLY close to the advertised weights on the website...some are even lighter than the weights listed on the website. I'm confused as to what you are disappointed by?

An Argali is a big bag with straps that isn't waterproof. How much does the argali weigh when you add a rain cover and a compression kit (which would make it somewhat closer to the Muskeg)?

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
Those weights seem REALLY close to the advertised weights on the website...some are even lighter than the weights listed on the website. I'm confused as to what you are disappointed by?

An Argali is a big bag with straps that isn't waterproof. How much does the argali weigh when you add a rain cover and a compression kit (which would make it somewhat closer to the Muskeg)?

I just think they could have tried a little harder to make a 'lightweight' system.
The Argali was weighed with straps on, with scope pocket and lid and rain cover its still lighter than the Muskeg. Just seems like the new 'lightweight' series is a bit of a waste of time

JD619er

WKR
Aron has said on the podcast that the muskeg isn’t intended to be ultralite. It’s intended for wet environments a lot of guys misinterpreted what the bag was meant for because it came out the same time as the lite and ultralite frame.

SteveB

FNG
I'm surprised Kifaru did away with lightweight bags (Argali, Markhor, Tahr), given the ever increasing desire for lighter gear. I like the Argali, as it has a good space to weight ratio. I was hoping the lightweight frames would be closer to 40oz, and the ultralight about 32oz.

If i didnt already have a frame and pack i might consider the light frame. Fore me there is not nearly enough weight saving for me to invest in a new one. Instead of buying a frame thats lighter i need to work on making me lighter.

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
Aron has said on the podcast that the muskeg isn’t intended to be ultralite. It’s intended for wet environments a lot of guys misinterpreted what the bag was meant for because it came out the same time as the lite and ultralite frame.

That combined with stopping making the 'light bags'(Argali/Markhor/Tahr) would make people think they are intended to be used together(and they are on the same page on the website).

Why bother making a light weight frame when there is no light bag to go with it??

I get it if they dont want to make light weight packs, but it seems they tried, just not very well?? I dunno

HighVoltageHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Really, all the weights are listed on the website. If you wanted something lighter you should have gotten something lighter.

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
Really, all the weights are listed on the website. If you wanted something lighter you should have gotten something lighter.

Yep I know that, I was sent this before the stuff was listed online.

What Im getting at is it just seems a waste of Kifaru's time and effort.

They have clearly gone to the trouble of designing a new frame under the muse of 'lightweight', at the same time they discontinued their lightest bags. When they could have just kept the light bags and had a set up that's lighter than the new 'light' frames, even on a tactical frame. Whats the point of going to all the trouble to make a new frame with no light bag to go with it?

Seems like they are just making new shit for the sake of it, they have cranked out a huge amount of products recently, that really are probably not needed?? I dunno just seems that way from my view.

bsnedeker

WKR
Ok, I get you now, you are a tester for Kifaru of some kind....lucky! I was really scratching my head as to why you would buy these bags and be disappointed by then matching the specs listed online!

I think it just boils down to the philosophy of the company...Kifaru, while they of course want to be competitive, are just not a lightweight gear company. I've listened to Aron enough to know that he feels you are always going to sacrifice comfort for weight, so he's driving his company around that philosophy. I'm personally happy that we have all of these companies with different perspectives on products. I would hate it if every backpack company put out the same stuff.
Yep I know that, I was sent this before the stuff was listed online.

What Im getting at is it just seems a waste of Kifaru's time and effort.

They have clearly gone to the trouble of designing a new frame under the muse of 'lightweight', at the same time they discontinued their lightest bags. When they could have just kept the light bags and had a set up that's lighter than the new 'light' frames, even on a tactical frame. Whats the point of going to all the trouble to make a new frame with no light bag to go with it?

Seems like they are just making new shit for the sake of it, they have cranked out a huge amount of products recently, that really are probably not needed?? I dunno just seems that way from my view.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
I think they want to be the best backpacks, not the lightest, but if they can continually figure out ways to shed lbs without sacrificing durability and load capability then they will. I tried the ultra-light frame at the show room and I’m convinced it carries weight better than the duplex. When I have the dough I’ll def be switching to the ultralight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbrown

WKR
While it wouldn't have hurt my feelings for the new frames to have been lighter... They way they carry weight compared to the hunter duplex was definitely an upgrade for me.

sr80

WKR
I was also surpised they ditched the argali, marhkor and tahr bags. Ive got an argali and love it, also have a spotter pocket on the front with two compression straps added that keep it tight. Just a simple setup. Kind of like SG, not a ton of extra pockets etc. That setup up a small belt pouch on a 26" duplex hunter is 6.5lbs. I think its just right, not too heavy and not too light. Just a hair over the weight of a xcurve and talus 6900 bag actually, and twice the comfort. When I look at the newer offerings from kifaru nothing really catches my eye, maybe the reckoning, but then thats a pound more than my current setup. I also dont like the new lid attachments on the new bags, i like the strap that was attached to the bags that gives you the option of cinching down the lid tight to the top of the frame. Ive got a duplex lite on order, i didn't order it for the weight savings but for the horizontal cross brace, i don't like how easily my hunter frame wants to barrel with anything over 25 lbs in it.

Lawnboi

WKR
If you look at the past kifaru has played the lightweight game. Original timberline, KU series, bikini frame with the big bare bags. I think they are in the business on making tough gear, and being very lightweight isn't their main focus.

I agree on the argali, I should have bought one. I'm still using a highcamp 4800, have a fulcrum. But the 4800 with a spotter pocket and lid makes for a great system for day and extended.

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
If you look at the past kifaru has played the lightweight game. Original timberline, KU series, bikini frame with the big bare bags. I think they are in the business on making tough gear, and being very lightweight isn't their main focus.

I agree on the argali, I should have bought one. I'm still using a highcamp 4800, have a fulcrum. But the 4800 with a spotter pocket and lid makes for a great system for day and extended.

Maybe they were too far ahead of the curve! The KU series looks like it would be a great seller with not only lighterweight hunters, but all the 'hyperlight' trekkers etc.

bsnedeker

WKR
If you head over to the kifaru forum they talk about the specifics of why they don't offer an ultralight bag anymore. Bottom line:. They got a ton of returns because people expected to be able to beat up on the ultralight fabrics the way they could on all kifaru packs. They now build their packs for durability and if they can shave off some weight in the process that is just a bonus. That's my outsider take on it anyway.
Maybe they were too far ahead of the curve! The KU series looks like it would be a great seller with not only lighterweight hunters, but all the 'hyperlight' trekkers etc.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk