Kifaru Urban Zippy Recommended?

BKhunter

WKR
Hey All,

I am looking for an EDC pack that can be used for traveling and a bunch of other uses. Has anyone purchased the urban zippy from kifaru? I have read the reviews but also want to get Roksliders opinions as well. Is it small on the back or is it a good size. I currently have basic North Face pack that I use that is on its last leg and have been eyeing the UZ.

BK

Absolutely loved my Urban Zippy and carried it daily either to work, around town, while traveling, or to the tree stand. It’s a perfect all around smallish pack. Size is right and organization for me was excellent. It didn’t sit as flat on the back as my Antero does but didn’t feel large and awkward. It’s a nice riding pack with little weight or decent weight.

I swapped to the Antero after using the UZ for a couple of years. Not out of necessity but rather to th something new. It’s been great also. Love the flat ride on my back. Layout is good for edc and travel. Haven’t tried it for hunting only because I have other specific packs for those uses now. It was missing some internal organization so I had David at Native Textiles add interior mesh pockets and been pleased so far.

Can’t go wrong with either pack and it would be a toss up if you told me I could only have one or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

btg108

FNG
The UZ is great. Get the frame sheet for sure. IMHO it’s pretty short so it can ride high if you want. Bottle pockets are awesome and so are the side doors.

tttoadman

WKR
I carry it every day. I have a big laptop and I can put some 11x17 drawings in the bag also. I have the frame sheet. I don't find it comfortable to carry at all. It is just utility for me to the office and back. If I take it on vacation, I will probably pull the frame sheet out.

SteveB

FNG
Depends. For urban/ EDC/ car camping I can definitely recommend it. For long distance carry not so much, not so good for hiking, as the Antero/XRay with belt do much better in this role.

i preferred the antero but that's not to say there's anything wrong with the urban zippy. both are great packs.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
I was looking for more of a back pack and not something to really pack down with weight so I am not to concerned about having a serious belt strap. Was looking at the UZ as it seems like it has good access and storage. Added the organizer pouch and it seems like a win. The only thing throwing me off is on the kifaru site, there is a picture on someones back and it looked a little small.

btg108

FNG
I was looking for more of a back pack and not something to really pack down with weight so I am not to concerned about having a serious belt strap. Was looking at the UZ as it seems like it has good access and storage. Added the organizer pouch and it seems like a win. The only thing throwing me off is on the kifaru site, there is a picture on someones back and it looked a little small.

It’s not big, but it is roomy. I would say that it is definitely a 25L pack. I put a large belt pouch on the face of mine.

It’s short but gets its volume with width and depth. Personally I love that it’s short. Someone somewhere has posted that he can even use a lumbar pack while wearing the UZ.

I don’t know what it is about the UZ, but I love it. It’s sort of what I think the classic Klettersack should have evolved into.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
It’s not big, but it is roomy. I would say that it is definitely a 25L pack. I put a large belt pouch on the face of mine.

It’s short but gets its volume with width and depth. Personally I love that it’s short. Someone somewhere has posted that he can even use a lumbar pack while wearing the UZ.

I don’t know what it is about the UZ, but I love it. It’s sort of what I think the classic Klettersack should have evolved into.

That actually sounds like an interesting set up with the UZ and the lumbar pack.I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of that.