Help me with a new pack!

2ski

WKR
Not a hunting pack thread for the umpteenth time. I have DT2. No need for another one. I'm happy with what I have.

What I'm looking for is a lightweight pack that's not going to be too spendy but will carry 25/30 lbs. I'm looking for a daypack for the summers. Something to be gone all day with and take a day's worth of stuff, but not going over night. Just a lightweight rain jacket and light fleece for clothes. Water and a snack or two. Maybe throw my fly fishing gear into to hike in to a mtn lake. Mostly want extra room for the "play" stuff. Keep it light and fast. I have a Dakine ski pack that I will go on short little couple mile hikes that I just carry water and a few other things in, but I hiked in with my fly vest and stuff to spend the day out in the mountains and my shoulders ached at the end of the day. It's not like it was a lot of weight. I'd like something smaller than my Kifaru. I get that I could use the Kifaru for this, but I wanted to see about something in the $100 range just dedicated for this purpose.

Anyone have any experience with MHM? They seem intriguing.

ljalberta

WKR
I think your best bet is going to be in the backpacking pack companies. Osprey, Gregory, Deuter, etc. I personally love the framed, light weight lines Osprey makes, such as the Talon or Exos series. They will carry up to 30-35ish pounds comfortably, and still weigh only between 2-3 lbs. Plus they have a lifetime warranty, and Osprey is great to deal with.

CorbLand

WKR
Badlands Diablo is a good pack for what your wanting. I would also suggest an Eberlestock Gun Run or Sawed Off.

Jauwater

WKR
HPG Umlindi is the most comfortable shoulder carry pack I've ever used. Perfect for what you've described. You can find them used in really nice condition for around $180 quite often. A little over your budget. Another simple pack I've used is the REI Ruck Sack. Which retails around $100.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see you're in Bozeman, go down to Scheel's as they carry the entire MR line- they have a few day packs in that 20-ish to 30-ish liter range that should do the trick. I picked up an Urban Assault that has served me well.

I'd also echo the Osprey Talon suggestion from above- their Talon 22 would fit the bill for what you describe (they have a 30-ish liter one too).