Need Help - Best Daypack?

jschaffer

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the market for a good daypack and struggling with which one to buy. I am looking in the 1800 to 2000 capacity range for the pack. This pack wouldn't be used to pack game out, but rather day hunts for turkey, deer, etc. from the truck. Comfort and weight are of more interest to me than having an internal frame. I tried the new Kuiu Venture pack but honestly it wasn't a lot different from the weight, feel of my Icon pack. So I am wondering what else I should consider? Sitka? Badlands? Tenzing?

tracker12

WKR
I have been using a Badlands Superday for the last 8 years. It just does what I want it to do and it as cheap.

X2 for Badlands Superday. I think i would vote for my Badlands 2200 over my Superday. The 2200 has an internal frame and though its not really needed in a daypack it is nice.

OP
J

jschaffer

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I was looking at the Superday as well. I am a bit torn on needing/having an internal frame for comfort and transportation purposes (if I decide to fly with the pack for a hunting trip where I will be doing day hunts or tree-stand sitting). The Sitka Apex pack and the Flash 20 are intriguing to me as well.

LostArra

WKR
Day hunts with no meat hauling? What kind of weight are you packing in it?

Assuming you aren't hauling a treestand on your back I would watch Camofire for a Mystery Ranch Crest. $79
I do some similar day hunts locally with no meat hauling. I use an old Camelbak Commander that I bought used for $30. It holds water, snacks, spare shooting tab, kill kit and rain jacket with room to spare.

WJS23

WKR
I used a badlands monster for years and picked up a Kifaru scout early this year and have been really happy with it. I’m a big fan of the lumbar style packs for day hunting it keeps me from bringing too much crap with me.

For what you want to do, you could spend $50 and achieve it versus a couple hundred plus. It sounds like you are buying names expecting something special. For what you are asking of this pack, nothing is going to stand out as special. God Bless

Trial153

WKR
Second the scapegoat, it will fit your needs easy and it's high quality pack. You can get it 20% fairly often...plus look for them here in the classifieds

OP
J

jschaffer

Lil-Rokslider
yeah, day hunts and no meat hauling. Weight wise, probably no more than 25 pounds, maybe 30 in extreme cases.

Muttman

Lil-Rokslider
2nd vote for the mystery ranch pop ups.
Good day pack, & when you harvest something you can start your pack out right then!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CX5Ranch

WKR
I really like a catquiver. Keeps my bow light because the arrows are on my pack. Wouldn't be much help packing meat though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
I use either an Eberlestock Team Elk or an Exo 3500 depending on how much glass I'm taking and if I want the scabbard. I usually end up setting the Eberlestock up for predator hunting since I'm packing my AR and giant FoxPro Prairie Blaster. I don't like having a sling on my calling rifle and the Eberlestock makes that convenient. I primarily use the Exo for big game. I like the Exo's layout for packing my optics and warm glassing layers. I have the 2000 bag for the Exo too and it works well if I'm not packing the big spotter, 15x binos, tripod, and LPP puffy.

Tower

FNG
I downsized from a Badlands Pursuit (1,500 ci) to a Mystery Ranch Front (1,159 ci) this summer - got it on Camofire. We hunt and pack out elk via horseback, so I don't have a need for a framed pack with a meat shelf, etc. So far I like it a lot, very streamlined on my back, opens up wide with the 3-zip design. I did add a MR zip pocket to the side molle and reflective shock cord across the front, but might switch that for compression straps. Also looked at the MR Scapegoat 25 but I personally don't need the waist belt for the type of hunting I do in WY and here in TX.