Seek Outside closest to Kifaru Mtn Warrior?

Muttly

WKR
Been using a Mtn Warrior on the newer hunting platform for a few years, getting a wild hair to try something different.
The SO platform being fairly waterproof and starting out lighter has a certain appeal. Size and function wise, wondering what might be the easiest transition?

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
I think their exposure pack bag is a panel zip style, would be closest in style I’d say

Having said that, most people wouldn’t notice a lot of functional differences between panel and a side zip I wouldn’t think

OP
M

Muttly

WKR
Exposure seemed the likeliest suspect at first, got to looking at the Goshawk, it looks like an awfully handy rig..
First thought was I wish it was bigger.. second thought, I ain't getting any younger and mountains just keep getting steeper, a lighter, leaner pack with a scoshe less room might not be a bad idea. Help keep the good idea fairy at a distance..
And the compression straps on back or a talon added seem like they should do a good bit of what the grab it does..

Rokwiia

WKR
I would say the Goshawk with a Talon and top lid. That would add a lot of space (about 1,300 ci) to access things quickly while the Goshawk would allowing access to the main bag by means of the zipper.

You'd end up with 1,300 ci more space than the KMW, be lighter, a nearly waterproof main bag, and lots of space on the outside to access things quickly. In the alternative, you could add a Merlin rather than the Talon and top lid.

I currently run a Peregrine with top lid. But I don't have long outings. Usually 2-5 at most. If I were to need more. I would definitely get a Goshawk, top lid, and a talon.

mvmnts

WKR
I have the Goshawk, took it out on a scouting trip a couple weeks ago and got caught in a decent bit of rain. Hiked through it, and I had moisture on the outside of the drybag that holds my quilt in the bottom of my pack. So nearly waterproof is a optimistic at best. If waterproofness is really valuable, then maybe forgo the vertical zipper and get the fortress. If you have a talon and a lid and hipbelt pocket or two, perhaps a bino harness too?, then maybe you can get away with a vertical zipper for day to day type stuff. That depends on your kit. I can't imagine not having enough room in the 4800, I would maybe start looking at dropping weight and volume in your kit. Your legs will thank you!

I have the Goshawk, took it out on a scouting trip a couple weeks ago and got caught in a decent bit of rain. Hiked through it, and I had moisture on the outside of the drybag that holds my quilt in the bottom of my pack. So nearly waterproof is a optimistic at best. If waterproofness is really valuable, then maybe forgo the vertical zipper and get the fortress. If you have a talon and a lid and hipbelt pocket or two, perhaps a bino harness too?, then maybe you can get away with a vertical zipper for day to day type stuff. That depends on your kit. I can't imagine not having enough room in the 4800, I would maybe start looking at dropping weight and volume in your kit. Your legs will thank you!

Did you seam seal it before taking it out?

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Goshawk with a Base Talon and a Lid. So far in limited use it is great. Loosen 2 compression straps and it is easy access to the main bag, not quite as much as a panel loader, but loosen up 2 more straps (bottom talon strap and top side strap) and you get the whole side of the bag.

Jdff1

FNG
I run a goshawk, base talon and lid, taken it out several times scouting in AZ recently. Packed all my gear, food and almost 3 gallons of water. Had room for all of it plus extra space. Love the side zipper, easy to access main bag, folds down really compact when empty and carries really well. I run it with a 28” frame, 6’4” 250, but easily goes back to 24 or 26” with the extensions. So far super happy with it. Had some light rain with no issues, but the side zipper does have potential to let water in in heavy rain.