• Mystery Ranch

Votes: 44 12.7%
  • Sitka Gear

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Stone Glacier

Votes: 38 11.0%
  • Tenzing

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Other (Cabelas/BPS, LL Bean, Sportsmans Warehouse, Seek, a mainly Hiking Brand)

Votes: 26 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Muttman

Lil-Rokslider
I started out hunting w/ badlands 2200 - love this pack - used it for 10+ yrs
Then bought an eberlestock just one pack used for 2 yrs b4 my son stole it :)
Invested in a mystery ranch metcalf this year - been on a few scouting trips - can’t wait to haul some elk & deer qtrs this fall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
I voted Exo since I use it the most. I bought a Kifaru this year, 26" tactical frame with Nomad 2 bag and Grab It 2. For the moose hunt I wanted something that expanded a little more than the Exo. I think the Exo will still get the most use, definitely on muleys or smaller critters but likely elk too. I rifle hunt and the Exo is narrower and easier to carry a slung rifle plus the horizontal flex makes it move with me better without a heavy load. Both have their place for me and both are great well made packs.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
Arcterx bora 80, or 40. Depends if it’s a day trip or not. Awesome packs, very well made. Can’t honestly see myself switching to a “hunting” pack any time soon. Plus I got both packs used in like new condition for $200 Canadian.

Eric Bailey

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been running a Kuiu Ultra 3000 the past three years. Keeping the pack and moving to the new 4000 bag for a little more capacity.

I am too small (5’4” 135) to carry ridiculous loads like others here. I can’t manage a buck in one trip but I have been able to get a deer and my camp out in two trips two different years with this setup. I didn’t have any complaints about the pack.

The 3000 setup is only 3lbs all in. Carries a regular backpacking load really nice.

Last edited:

Wrongside

WKR
Arcterx bora 80, or 40. Depends if it’s a day trip or not. Awesome packs, very well made. Can’t honestly see myself switching to a “hunting” pack any time soon. Plus I got both packs used in like new condition for $200 Canadian.
Those are great packs for the money. I used a Bora80 for years. Still have my first one.

Had a few MR packs since. A few years ago tested a Seek Outside, liked it a lot and bought myself a Evolution Fortress... still using it. No desire to switch. Tho it is getting to be a bit high mileage and I wouldn't mind a new one, just don't care for their current designs.

Seth1913

Lil-Rokslider
You didn't include Seek Outside in your list but put it in "other" along with Cabelas?

Did you also allude to SO as "a mainly hiking brand"?
Can’t see the poll for some reason but bummed to know SO isn’t included and to say it’s mainly a hiking brand is pretty far fetched lol. Only reason I came to this post was from the thread of this dude saying people aren’t real backcountry hunters because they don’t use a meat shelf, so I’m not surprised SO didn’t make it. I can imagine others were missed as well.

Gheez men, get over yourself's. If your brand of pack wasn't on here, there is no reason to be mad about it. Just vote other and move along. Its like a bunch of high school girls reading some of these posts. Someone else's opinion doesn't change your reality concerning packs.

OP
mproberts

mproberts

WKR
Can’t see the poll for some reason but bummed to know SO isn’t included and to say it’s mainly a hiking brand is pretty far fetched lol. Only reason I came to this post was from the thread of this dude saying people aren’t real backcountry hunters because they don’t use a meat shelf, so I’m not surprised SO didn’t make it. I can imagine others were missed as well.

Sorry you can't see the poll, not sure why you are incapable of seeing it. As for the reason I didn't include SO.. I already responded to that.. "RS limits the poll to 10 choices, I just ran out of room TBH. If it was a perfect world I would have added every brand as a separate choice and then left a category for mainly hiking brands to cover the guys that are running something like a Deuter, Gregory, Kelty, Marmot, Osprey, TNF, etc" Also to clarify when a comma is used in conjunction with a series of items it is being used to denote a list and not as a punctuation mark denoting a pause. To be clear, I was not describing SO as a hiking brand.

Also I'm "that dude" that said serious backcountry hunters aren't buying packs without meat shelfs... and yes part of that was me misspeaking, I was oversimplifying things and more was trying to refer to other high quality external frame pack companies that have embraced the meat/load shelf concept (like Kifaru and MR). That comment was also in reference to that gohunt test where they pitted some janky badlands, eberlestock and tenzing packs up against higher quality external frame packs. From this poll so far, it's pretty clear that almost no one on here is using those brand packs anyways for that purpose (2.5% out of 200 people polled so far). I guess I get what gohunt was trying to show but I think most guys already know that, hence why it would have been a much better test to compare packs that were actually competitive and equally as popular in this community. Replace (Badlands, Eberlestock and Tenzing) with (Kifaru, Mystery Ranch and Seek) and they have a more comparable test.... then they just need to fix how how they tested the packs, because I don't plan on running into any man-bears in the woods anytime soon.

rfgreenwell

Lil-Rokslider
I voted SG since I use my 5900/X-curve first choice on extended "hunts to the backcountry". I also have a kifaru woodsman with a 26" duplex hunter and 22" tactical, and a 14'r which all get a good bit of use as well depending on the scenario. It is nice to have choices.

From my tablet or phone I have to go to "full site" to access the poll...that may be the earlier poster's issue.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah I thought that would give Kifaru the edge but doesn’t seem to be helping MR out as much. Exo has more votes right now than MR. I also would think more guys would be running KUIU packs for the price and weight of them.

I have both a MR NICE and guidelight that I use and also the SG EVO, based on the poll wording I voted SG but MR is certainly represented and used in my gear line up. I will hunt more with my MR guidelight in general (and I used the NICE for training regularly) but plan to use the SG for the bivy style backcountry hunting.

Seth1913

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry you can't see the poll, not sure why you are incapable of seeing it. As for the reason I didn't include SO.. I already responded to that.. "RS limits the poll to 10 choices, I just ran out of room TBH. If it was a perfect world I would have added every brand as a separate choice and then left a category for mainly hiking brands to cover the guys that are running something like a Deuter, Gregory, Kelty, Marmot, Osprey, TNF, etc" Also to clarify when a comma is used in conjunction with a series of items it is being used to denote a list and not as a punctuation mark denoting a pause. To be clear, I was not describing SO as a hiking brand.

Also I'm "that dude" that said serious backcountry hunters aren't buying packs without meat shelfs... and yes part of that was me misspeaking, I was oversimplifying things and more was trying to refer to other high quality external frame pack companies that have embraced the meat/load shelf concept (like Kifaru and MR). That comment was also in reference to that gohunt test where they pitted some janky badlands, eberlestock and tenzing packs up against higher quality external frame packs. From this poll so far, it's pretty clear that almost no one on here is using those brand packs anyways for that purpose (2.5% out of 200 people polled so far). I guess I get what gohunt was trying to show but I think most guys already know that, hence why it would have been a much better test to compare packs that were actually competitive and equally as popular in this community. Replace (Badlands, Eberlestock and Tenzing) with (Kifaru, Mystery Ranch and Seek) and they have a more comparable test.... then they just need to fix how how they tested the packs, because I don't plan on running into any man-bears in the woods anytime soon.

Boy I sure stirred the pot. Sorry guys. But thanks for the grammar lesson.

twall13

WKR
I voted Kifaru since I use a Hunter Frame. All my bags are Exo bags, but to me the frame makes the pack so that's how I voted.