Western Edge Frame for Kids

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanted to share my (son's) experience with this. I'm a long time Kifaru, Mountainsmith, and Mystery Ranch user. I ran upon this here on Rokslide. It's basically a Duplex Frame for kids. I've got a 9 year old son, and I'm a Cub Scout leader, and this frame has pretty much changed backpacking for my son.

Since getting this pack, he's put in about 15 miles with it, most above 9,000', using it with a Kifaru Grab It, a Molle Express bag (No stays, straps or belt, the volume was right for a USGI Patrol Bag & Bivy, an Exped Syn Mat 7, a Mountain Hardwear Hoopla, his own water, a Ruger 1022 cut down a bit (thanks again Randall for the stock!) and a Mountain Ridge Gear Cody Pack with his 10 essentials.

I couldn't be happier with the capability to add different accessories to this frame, and make it comfortable for my son.

Anyone here who's met my wife, note the picture of her rubbing her head after getting clocked by the muzzle of Fin's rifle while helping him on with his pack.

Thanks to Steve Rude of Western Edge Gear for the help in getting my son into USA made gear from Dickinson, ND. For those of you trying to interest your kids in doing what we do, or those leading Cub Scouts, (again, into doing what we do) I can say no other piece of gear has inspired him as much to enthusiastically get on board with being in the back country.

I would call this frame Kifaru-quality and modularity for kids. If I'd have found it sooner, I'd have bought it then so he could get more use out of it.

Thanks Steve for making a cool frame for kids here in the USA!!!
b7bc0515cebcf33a7955a77fa0590080.jpg
74cb4de3b34b351e84a584978a8f0a59.jpg
5714b55b57ffc622c75a070a82f9cff9.jpg
dae8e29eaa2587a550c6083601c3f290.jpg
211378e2a387edbadbf526b5f94a3318.jpg

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bones

WKR
Super cool. Thanks for sharing, I am a few years away, but will keep it in mind!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAKPAKR

WKR
Thanks for posting those photos. My 8 year old daughter is using a Deuter now but if she gets more into hunting (she wants a moose),
I might have to look into one of these frames.

Jardo

WKR
Awesome... been looking for something for my 13 yo daughter. We go a New Mexico elk hunt coming up this fall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for the pictures, Rob. I’m glad another kid is learning the joys of being outdoors and building confidence, strength, and resilience by packing his own gear.

I just led some poorly prepared kids on a hike in the Badlands this weekend. Not enough water, 93 degrees, and no breeze (one of about 5 days per year that the wind doesn’t blow in ND). Things worked out fine, no real danger because I brought lots of backup water, but it provided an opportunity to discuss the importance of being prepared with adequate gear and supplies. Raising the next generation of outdoorsmen is fun and rewarding.