Mystery Ranch Metcalf Reviews?

Cml5895

FNG
I’m looking to sell my Sitka Bivy 30 and pick up a Metcalf. Can you guys that have one give me your honest review? Or give me a suggestion on a similar sized pack? Thank you!

NDGuy

WKR
I’m looking to sell my Sitka Bivy 30 and pick up a Metcalf. Can you guys that have one give me your honest review? Or give me a suggestion on a similar sized pack? Thank you!

Search Metcalf in the advanced search box on the site. I posted about the Metcalf a few times last year. I really like mine so far, I like the brand so I recently picked up a Pop Up 18/28 and going to try both out and keep the one I like better.

What in particular do you want to know?

sr80

WKR
Metcalf is a great bag and is very well thought oyut. Good to day hunts to 7 day trips id say. I dont think you can really compare it to the bivy 30

OP
C

Cml5895

FNG
Metcalf is a great bag and is very well thought oyut. Good to day hunts to 7 day trips id say. I dont think you can really compare it to the bivy 30

I didn’t find much use for the Bivy. That is why I am looking to pick up something that can carry weight extremely well, enough cargo for several days and also work as a day pack. I’m looking for durability reviews, ease of adjustment and drawbacks to the simple design.

Poltax

Lil-Rokslider
I have one of the last USA made Metcalf's. I have had it for about 3.5 years. Most all my uses have been as a day pack. With the exception of last year and we packed in for 2 days on the Elk bow hunt. I had about 50lbs in the pack and it felt great. I actually think the pack works better the heavier you pack it. For me I have found if I keep the heavier weght about 1/4 up from the bottom the pack seems to ride better.

As a day pack it is just a bit large. But the nice thing is you can use the straps to cinch it up tight. Then if you get something down you do not have to worry about your first load out as you will have the pack you need with you. There are plenty of straps, and the straps are extra long. Mine came with velcro keepers to help with rolling the straps up to the buckles so they are not dangling and catching on stuff.

I helped my son pack out his cow last year with it. He had an inexpensive pack he has been using for packing out. We got back to the road and he tried on my Metcalf with the load and he was pretty surprised at how the pack fit and felt. So surprised that he bought a new one. There are some differences witht he USA and the import. But I do not think its enough to worry about.

For me, the Metcalf is perfect. I have only used it for a day pack and just unclip and remove the lid. I bought it with the thoughts of having a daypack that I can use for 4-5 nights out if I wanted, but still able to haul a load if I end up packing something out.

I’ve had mine for a couple years. I use it every week with loads that vary from light to massive. Fantastic pack. Easy to adjust and carries big loads well. I hunt and trek almost exclusively alone (my spaniel is with me most of the time but he hasn’t learn to tend wounds or activate the ACR) so a pack that stays comfortable and stable is critical. I’m bummed to learn it wasn’t made in the USA, though. I thought it was - big selling point for me. It’ll take all you need for a week in the backwoods.

Trial153

WKR
The Metcalf is a classic. I liked it on the nice frame, I love it on the guide lite frame.

LaHunter

WKR
I would not consider this a 'review' but my impressions of the GL Frame / Metcalf are based on a few training hikes.
The quality of materials and construction I would consider good.
The Guide Light frame will allow you to turn and twist with the pack on, if loaded light. There is a good bit of torsional range of motion with this frame. That seems to go away with a sand bag strapped to the frame tightly.
It seems to have adequate vertical stiffness when the stays all work together. Individually, the stays are fairly thin.
In my opinion, the belt is the weak link in the Guide Light frame. This is why I sold my MR Mecalf / GL frame. During my training hikes with just a bit over 70 lbs, the belt kept sliding down and resting on my glutes with nearly all the wt on my shoulders. There is just not much 'structure' to the belt at all. I have read a few posts from other GL frame owners commenting on the load sliding down also. Maybe it just didn't fit me.

deadwolf

WKR

These just went on 20% off at argali, check the backpack threads for details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
Classic pack, very functional, I've owned a couple. With that said, it is fairly heavy for what it is (on the NICE frame it was WAY heavy, but better on the Guide Lite). I opted for a larger size Stone Glacier (5900 vs. 4350). Just as functional, more CI and a pound and a half lighter. The Metcalf is a VERY nice pack though...

GPool1842

WKR
Don’t have the Metcalf, but have the Marshall for backpacking and elk hunting and the pintler bag for deer, turkey, and day hunts. Love the MR system. Simple and durable.

boom

WKR
i love the pack. the Metcalf is the bag i use on any multiday trip. sadly, it had mostly been trout trips and backpacking trips. my wife has taken to backpacking. on the big climbs when she gets tired, i strap her pack to the back of my metcalf for a wildly unbalanced load. the guide-light system handles it with ease.(me, sometimes not as well :))

the system is solid. very solid. rifles and bows strap on securely. seems like lately, i have been doing mostly day trips from a base camp.

and my old school DragonSlayer gets that duty..i have so many miles on that pack. bought it used (overpaid) but i love it. having a really hard time upgrading it to the newer systems.

OP
C

Cml5895

FNG
Ended up going with a new Metcalf on sale through Argali Outdoors. Got the last one in my size and the brown that I wanted. Thank you to everyone with your recommendations!