Outdoorsmans Pack?

mtbshark

WKR
Hey all,

Now i know that most of everyone here is mega pro kifaru, but have any of you used one of the outdoorsmans packs?
i like the looks of them but would like some other $.02

thanks

dotman

WKR
I actually just foundout about them when I subscribed to Elk Hunter, now the only thing I know about them is the "Meat Eater" Steven something uses them on his show. Other then those two things I haven't heard good or bad. They look like a quality pack.

Last edited:

7mag.

WKR
I've heard nothing but good things about Outdoorsmans gear. Steven Rinella uses quality gear, and he puts his name on them. He used to use Mystery Ranch, before switching to Outdoorsmans.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had my hands on one when they first came out. Returning from coues hunt I stopped in their shop just to check out their pack, and it had just been released. First impression was the frame was extremely flexible and soft feeling for my liking. The bag seemed well made, but I didn't like the way the pockets laid out. There doesn't seem to be a bunch of them out there being used as I don't know anyone personally using one. That alone doesn't mean it is not good, but it is a factor I personally consider. Needless to say I was disappointed in the pack. The outdoorsman have great customer service so maybe order one, try it out briefly and if you don't like send it back.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Rosin, how are the load lifters on the pack? They don't look like they would work at all???

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would call them load stabilizers more than lifters. They did not protrude above my shoulders do I didn't get any lift. Shorter torsos may get some though.

Buster

WKR
Seems like a decent "mid-weight pack", good for some gear and some packing out. Although I haven't got my hands on it myself, I keep hearing from guys and reading that it's tough to get a heavy load comfortable. Also hearing that it's very versatile. Would love to hear more from hands on reviewers.

Hardstalk

WKR
I had one recently for about a week. The lumbar pad isn't as stout or "thought out" as say the s.g with the added support or kuiu or kifaru. But for some reason (not under load) everything felt great with this pack. Im not sure if the load lifters were a craze after the original outdoorsman 1 design pack and they missed the trend or not. But after speaking with outdoorsman I had mentioned a possible composite attachment that would get the load lifters a bit more functional for the taller guys and they were more than open minded to the concept.

The flex frame is definitely that way for a reason, different strokes for different folks I suppose. I assume these guys took into consideration that you hunt a lot more without heavy load then you do with a heavy load. Being based out of Az, This is somewhat of a different style of pack than say kifaru (colorado) or kuiu (nor cal) granted these other manufacturers all have a common goal. They all have a different "style" per say. Majority of sheep guides I know (Nv &Az area)prefer the flex frame and every inch of the outdoorsman compared to the kuiu/kifaru.

After spending a lot of time on the phone with outdoorsman we came to an agreement. That agreement was, that no one can tell you how your boots feel on your feet. Meaning everyone has a different approach to pack design for a different reason or different experience. The outdoorsman is a well thought out pack that performs great for those that like the pack. (Given that makes sense) after a very long conversation I decided the pack wasn't for me. I had the max 1 edition optics hunter. I decided that the right pack for me was the blue ripstop optics hunter. A bit more weight conscious. And being a shorter fella I can adjust the suspension down another notch than most folks and really get some more lift out of the load lifters.

One of the other things we touched on during our conversation was different packs for different hunts or styles. He mentioned that he has 5-6 packs in his garage all with different purposes. Dayhunts, multi day hunts, truck hunts, alaskan hunts and so on. We touched on the fact that pack companies do not have a lot of competition. Meaning they each have their own pretty loyal following and each crowd wants something different from the next.

Outdoorsman definitely has a customer for life in me and I highly suggest trying one out, given the chance. To see if fits your style for a particular hunt or hunts.

Buster

WKR
Hardstalk, very well thought out post. Lots of wisdom and reason in your choice of words. There can never be a "perfect pack" for everyone for every hunt. But it sure is fun to analyze and critique, as long as it's with the positive goal of understanding and improving.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I had one recently for about a week. The lumbar pad isn't as stout or "thought out" as say the s.g with the added support or kuiu or kifaru. But for some reason (not under load) everything felt great with this pack. Im not sure if the load lifters were a craze after the original outdoorsman 1 design pack and they missed the trend or not. But after speaking with outdoorsman I had mentioned a possible composite attachment that would get the load lifters a bit more functional for the taller guys and they were more than open minded to the concept.

The flex frame is definitely that way for a reason, different strokes for different folks I suppose. I assume these guys took into consideration that you hunt a lot more without heavy load then you do with a heavy load. Being based out of Az, This is somewhat of a different style of pack than say kifaru (colorado) or kuiu (nor cal) granted these other manufacturers all have a common goal. They all have a different "style" per say. Majority of sheep guides I know (Nv &Az area)prefer the flex frame and every inch of the outdoorsman compared to the kuiu/kifaru.

After spending a lot of time on the phone with outdoorsman we came to an agreement. That agreement was, that no one can tell you how your boots feel on your feet. Meaning everyone has a different approach to pack design for a different reason or different experience. The outdoorsman is a well thought out pack that performs great for those that like the pack. (Given that makes sense) after a very long conversation I decided the pack wasn't for me. I had the max 1 edition optics hunter. I decided that the right pack for me was the blue ripstop optics hunter. A bit more weight conscious. And being a shorter fella I can adjust the suspension down another notch than most folks and really get some more lift out of the load lifters.

One of the other things we touched on during our conversation was different packs for different hunts or styles. He mentioned that he has 5-6 packs in his garage all with different purposes. Dayhunts, multi day hunts, truck hunts, alaskan hunts and so on. We touched on the fact that pack companies do not have a lot of competition. Meaning they each have their own pretty loyal following and each crowd wants something different from the next.

Outdoorsman definitely has a customer for life in me and I highly suggest trying one out, given the chance. To see if fits your style for a particular hunt or hunts.

Hardstalk anymore feedback on this pack now that you have had it for a bit?

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
I owned the Outdoorsmans Optics Hunter pack, the original. I honestly liked everything about the way it handled, organized, and carried a load. The pocket layout is basically the same as a Timberline, just not quite as much volume. The fabric is very tough and fairly quiet. I used it for three years, and successfully bivied out of it and packed out several animals. The frame is very flexible torsionally, (which is supposedly what everyone is so excited about on the Exo packs) but very stiff vertically. It absolutely will not flex in the vertical plane. The bag is wide-ish, but not very deep, so it actually keeps the load close to your body.
One huge advantage is the removeable bag and load sling. It cinches meat down well, and incidentally makes a great place to secure sheds. Probably the best design factor here is a water bladder pocket on the sling, so you can just pack meat, and still have a dedicated bladder pocket. The only downside is some difficulty in using the load sling and attaching the main bag, simultaneously.
Two years ago I bought my T1, and sold my Outdoorsman's to my new elk hunting partner, who was new to bivy hunting. He still has it and it has worked great. Packed out a 143# (weighed) load last year, no problem. He is 6'3", and the functional load lift is mediocre, but he still finds it plenty comfortable. The biggest downside of the product to me was simply the weight. Regardless of what the company claims, the pack and frame weigh 8 pounds, 1 ounce. That aside, I'm surprised this system hasn't received more positive run.

It is a good pack but heavy. It could use an update on the hip belt, it lacks an adequate lumbar support. The lower side pockets are hard to use because the support straps get in the way.

Has anybody else used this pack since the thread ended in 2014? Relatively interested in trying one out but don't have a ton of free time to test it and send back.

wmp1991

FNG
i have the optic pack and hunting partner has the long range - this is our first time going out on a bp hunt and we both really like our packs. easy to get the fit right for each person and have typically had 50 pounds and it feels great. i've done some short hikes with 70 pounds and still good to go. for a first timer it is perfect, not crazy expensive and good quality for sure

RMarciano

FNG
i have the optic pack and hunting partner has the long range - this is our first time going out on a bp hunt and we both really like our packs. easy to get the fit right for each person and have typically had 50 pounds and it feels great. i've done some short hikes with 70 pounds and still good to go. for a first timer it is perfect, not crazy expensive and good quality for sure

Thank you! I wish there was more input on these boards regarding The Outdoormans Pack because I'm looking to get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk