Official Frankenpack Photo Thread

Let's see your oh-so-creative and versatile, one of a kind backpack. Added points for creating a pack that can be used for anything from a daypack to a moose hunt.

Not too much of a franken pack, but here is my duplex with back pouch, cargo panel, and two pouches on the belt. A Kirafu water bladder holder goes under the back pouch and a then a lid over the top to complete the setup.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418585172.598371.jpg

Last edited:

sojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Here is the setup I used for two years before getting my EXO. It is a Cabela's Alaskan outfitter with two kifaru long pockets.
Day pack mode

One thing that is really slick is that the 1" quick release buckles on the long pockets were an exact match with the one's on the frame. I also added added some strapping loops where I could attatch the split female Kifaru ends so I have more options on where I attatch the "wings."
The pic below shows how it looks for an overnight trip except I would have the wings attatched higher. For multi-day I add another dry bag horizontally below the one pictured.

I also have a Kifaru lash kit which helps to make the setup very versatile. One bummer was that the buckles on the lash kit don't match up with the one's on the long pockets. I would have assumed Kifaru would have all thie 1" buckles be the same style

Jimbob

WKR
Pack 1 - Gen 1 spike camp, 24" composite stays added, load lifters added, mesh pocket sewn to inside of top flap, new belt loop on each side to add pockets and gun bearer, the old loops I cut off (they dug into my hip through the belt when carry a gun in the bearer all day. Just some good upgrades that make it the ultimate day pack and great lightweight hiking pack

Pack 2 - Eberlestock j104 hacked to pieces. bag cut off, belt removed and crappy stays removed. Kifaru belt added, Kifaru 26" stays added and new functional load lifters added. Now it is actually a sweet frame. I made a cargo panel for it and now I need to sew up a bag or just fork out the cash and buy a kifaru bag. I don't have any pics of it right now (I'm at work).

DaveC

WKR
I've built a number of packs over the last few years, but the ones I've made this year for the Paradox frame and belt have been the most functional and thus my favorites.

https://bedrockandparadox.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/dsc08073.jpg

The above is ~3.5 pounds, 6000 cubic inches. Primary fabric is X-33, with 1000D Cordura reinforcements and a dual-pocket talon/compression panel of 600D poly plain weave (the only patterned blaze fabric I could find, actually very nice stuff). The best part is of course the fixed shoulder straps (lighter, simpler) at exactly the right height, which is the primary luxury of building stuff for yourself.

robtattoo

WKR
Here's my 'poor man's weekender'
Medium ALICE pack, mounted on a Coleman Peak 1 frame, with an ILBE strap, belt & suspension system. It's perfect for overnighters & weekend trips. Weighs around 4lb, but I reckon I'm into it for less than $60.....
4f87c9d0f8b1822bbf798a97140d8357.jpg

3a885b3fcff19cbdc50bbdca20dbe659.jpg

8b83b6fffa62a4e38f1e2d44f2c92ac6.jpg

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
I've seen some truly inspired pack configurations posted here, c'mon guys, post em up. The search engine sucks and I wanna see these versatile packs!

Jon Boy

WKR
Here is the setup I used for two years before getting my EXO. It is a Cabela's Alaskan outfitter with two kifaru long pockets.
Day pack mode

One thing that is really slick is that the 1" quick release buckles on the long pockets were an exact match with the one's on the frame. I also added added some strapping loops where I could attatch the split female Kifaru ends so I have more options on where I attatch the "wings."
The pic below shows how it looks for an overnight trip except I would have the wings attatched higher. For multi-day I add another dry bag horizontally below the one pictured.

I also have a Kifaru lash kit which helps to make the setup very versatile. One bummer was that the buckles on the lash kit don't match up with the one's on the long pockets. I would have assumed Kifaru would have all thie 1" buckles be the same style

This is awesome, going to do it with my alaskan that is hanging around. I have higher end packs now, but I still keep that frame in the truck for a loaner or some true heavy/awkward loads on the pack out.

Rossi

Lil-Rokslider
This the "Kuiudox". A Paradox Evolution Frame and suspension with a Kuiu Icon Pro 1850. This is the pack compressed for day hunt mode.
P1010485.jpg

This is the pack with a Kifaru meat baggie between the bag and frame. This utilizes the compression straps and load shelf of the Evolution to support the load while the outside compression straps support the bag.
P1010486.jpg

The bag compressed over the load keeps the load very secure while still allowing access to the bag without having to undo everything.
P1010487.jpg

This shows the bottom bag attachment point which allows for adjustment depending on the thickness of the load.
P1010488.jpg

This is a great day hunting setup with the ability to haul meat. I've run the frame and suspension with 60-70 lbs while training this summer, and really like how it carries the load. I also have the Evolution bag and talon for larger backpacking trips, but I like the fabric and organization of the Kuiu 1850 for hunting. Purchased the bag from Rokslider Adirondak5. Thanks again!

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
Watching this thread closely for updates. I have a Kelty Trekker external frame I got for cheap off CL that I'd let to get a few more ideas for. I love backpack shopping as much as the Mrs likes purse shopping but realistically I need upgrades in the boots, clothing and shelter departments first.

Will have to dig a round for pics but I slid a Gen 1 Longhunter Guide pack over my Horn Hunter Full Curl frame and it worked like a charm. About any Gen 1 pack with the sleeve would work.

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
Here's my SG Krux with Mystery Ranch Hitchhiker... The other picture is the same frame but a HPG Highlander bag. It shows the concept of carrying camp/meat between the frame and bag. You can carry any amount of weight and as many days worth of food and camp as you can carry. Unbelievably versatile.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 410
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 377
This the "Kuiudox". A Paradox Evolution Frame and suspension with a Kuiu Icon Pro 1850. This is the pack compressed for day hunt mode.
View attachment 21834

This is the pack with a Kifaru meat baggie between the bag and frame. This utilizes the compression straps and load shelf of the Evolution to support the load while the outside compression straps support the bag.
View attachment 21835

The bag compressed over the load keeps the load very secure while still allowing access to the bag without having to undo everything.
View attachment 21836

This shows the bottom bag attachment point which allows for adjustment depending on the thickness of the load.
View attachment 21837

This is a great day hunting setup with the ability to haul meat. I've run the frame and suspension with 60-70 lbs while training this summer, and really like how it carries the load. I also have the Evolution bag and talon for larger backpacking trips, but I like the fabric and organization of the Kuiu 1850 for hunting. Purchased the bag from Rokslider Adirondak5. Thanks again!

I've been looking to try something very similar with my evolution because it carries weight so well. It seems having compression straps dedicated to the meat bag and attaching the packbag independently would be the way to go. Nice work!

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Ok I will play! Im suprised Steve hasnt posted on this one yet =-)

Here is my Exo Mountain Frame with Hill People Gear Highlander

This is the HPG Shelf works perfect to extend your Highlander out from the frame

Nice thing about this setup was the top zipper pocket on the Exo frame is still usable with the Highlander attached.

Duplex Frame with HPG CM20 Ultralight Bag and a Kifaru lid

With the Cargo Panel

Lots of pouches attached in there also to the Cargo panel.

Stid2677

WKR
EXO frame,, OR 55 liter dry bag, 2 home made long pockets and a Kifaru Grabit.

P5290320_zpsa9a11557.jpg

10383677_758582580848177_2075641363851078159_n_zpsa5b72c20.jpg

P6180481_zps59052a0f.jpg

Rossi

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking to try something very similar with my evolution because it carries weight so well. It seems having compression straps dedicated to the meat bag and attaching the packbag independently would be the way to go. Nice work!

That was my biggest complaint with the talon. I don't think it compresses heavy/dense loads like meat very well. The compression straps and load shelf do a great job, so I was looking at ways to attach the talon independent of the compression straps. I got a good deal on the 1850 and the straps that come with it attach nicely to the evolution frame.

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
Not really a back country solution and I hate to even through this in here because its so low tech compared to these others creations. As mentioned above I bought this Kelty external frame pack off CL days before I left for my first CO DIY Elk hunt. I didn't' end up needing it to transport meat but on the truck ride back and forth to CO I got to thinking about other uses for it. As a whitetail hunter I love my hang-on and climber stands but the getting them back into the bush with their cheap webbing as backpack straps is really hard on the neck and shoulders.

My solution was stone cold simple, lash the stand on the frame and head out. I can't believe how well it stays put with just two bungee cords. It could be cleaned up a bit by taking the bag off the frame and putting some foam pipe insulating foam over the frame but it hasn't been necessary, there is no clanging or squeaks at all. Works well with a hang-on and sticks as it does with the climber shown in the photo.
Kelty Frame pack1.jpg

Pretty specific use-case but I wanted to throw it out there for general consumption. These packs are cheap and available, might as well put them to use!

Attachments

• Kelty Frame pack carry 1.jpg
    Kelty Frame pack carry 1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 223
Last edited: