looking for more Kifaru Sawtooth/stove content/reviews/pics/videos

rbljack

WKR
Ive spent at least 6 hours researching this tent/stove combo. watched the youtube videos, and then did some more searching for reviews and pictures.

Ive never had a floorless shelter, and am definitely interested in this set up for two person backpacking/hunting. My initial thoughts are the footprint is great for the amount of weight your carrying around, and the ability to stand up is a huge plus. Id like to see more pics/you tube videos of them in use, along with likes/dislikes. Sounds like the big dislike would be the condensation, but is easily overcome by the liner kit. For a two person set up, this seems like a GREAT option because each person would be carrying around 4 pounds if one is carrying a stove, and the other carrying the tent pieces.

From the videos ive watched, I prefer the set up of the rectangular stove. That oval thing looked like a pain to set up having to feed all those wires through the holes and flimsy. I cant imagine trying to do that in the dark with cold hands, and yeah....as much as I hate to say it....bad eyesight. I have started needing reading glasses, and definitely want to minimize the need to have them on in the backcountry when possible.

So, its about to be a new year and the 2014 hunting seasons are winding down. IF you have the sawtooth or stayed in one, checked one out, etc, take a few minutes to post up your experience, pics or videos and lets add to the content on here. Another question that comes to mind is how often are ya adding wood to that stove? every 30 to 45 minutes im guessing, so that means to run it all night, means adding wood.

Big concern for me with this set up would be with two people and stove in there, whats the chance of messing up a sleeping bag getting too close to the stove.

Shrek

WKR
Stove is probably not going to burn 30 min without a reload. More like 10 to 15 with the small diameter stuff you can easily gather and break into short enough pieces to fit inside. Plenty of room to not melt anything. Condensation isn't much of an issue in most conditions you will run into during hunting season in most western States. Not saying you won't find a time when you wished you had a liner but it's not your average conditions. Stove will dry much of it out. The Sawtooth is a great shelter with few real drawbacks.

Craig4791

WKR
Great shelter. I don't have a liner but would like to try one out.

Condensation can get pretty bad but the stove will burn most of it out except for the bottom foot and a half or so.

Depending on what wood you have to burn I can get up to 30+ min with good dry wood. Expect 15-20 with sticks and what not.

It can be a bit crowded with the stove near the opening. You do need to be extra careful getting in and out and I did burn a good sized hole in my first lite puffy getting in and out of my sawtooth this year on my moose hunt. But sleeping is not an issue IMO.

I have had both the box and oval stoves and while the box was a little easier I've warmed up to the assembly process of the oval. I don't love the assembly but it's not that bad really after you do it a few times.

slim9300

WKR
This will be my partner and I's go-to shelter for 2015. Looking forward to reading more responses, but I'm already sold. Just waiting for the bank account to reach the proper level. :)

Ramshead

Lil-Rokslider
I have to admit that I burned a hole in my sleeping bag last year. I thought I was too smart to do that. Now I slip a few pieces of cedar (lightweight) kindling into my pack and build a picket fence around my stove by pounding them into the ground with a rock. Like most guys, I just let the stove go out overnight rather than try to keep it fed.

OP
R

rbljack

WKR
all great info so far. Im fairly new to this site, and I have to say that im loving it so far! I used to hunt the bighorns in Wy and backpack in, and then hunted in Idaho for a few years, but that was about 15 years in the past. My buddy and I are really wanting to get back to the western style of hunting. Im completely burnt out on this blind and feeder hunting of west texas. Its a form of hunting to be sure, but doesn't hold a candle to the mountains. NO WAY. The clothing and technology has sure come a long way. I packed in 3 miles into the bighorns wearing military bdu pants, and packed a Trebark jacket and bibs set! I had an old 3 person tent that was by no means a 3 season tent...LOL. I brought a big tarp and constructed an A frame for the tarp to go over the tent. No high dollar sleeping bag either. I did have a pair or rocky boots which was pretty good. No GPS back then, just map and compass which limited my miles in the backcountry a bit. I never shot my own elk, but did help pack out a few off the mountain. I still have the Cabelas Alaskan frame/backpack for meat hauling, and now have a Blue widow as well.
Anyways, to get back on topic, im researching gear to work towards another elk hunt, and the sawtooth is my item or research right now. Great stuff guys, thanks so much for the assistance.

Sawtooth is great for one or two people with a stove. I have had condensation "issues" once, but otherwise no big deal so I don't own a liner. I have the box stove, but if/when I replace it I will go with the oval. Was a pain to set it up the first time or two but I like it a lot more now. Never had issues burning my gear or entering/exiting, but the occasional ember does pop out of the stove.

Jcberg

Lil-Rokslider
I used my Sawtooth September and October in Montana thru snowstorms and high winds and can tell you it is one AWESOME setup. I run the Kifaru medium box stove and there is nothing better than going to sleep warm and dry! You can let it run out and night and just throw some split logs on the hot coals, shut the door, and it will start up again shortly. A small axe is really nice for splitting wood and I don't go anywhere without one. Two guys in a sawtooth is perfect. Happy hunting!

OP
R

rbljack

WKR
I really like the thought of this shelter. seems to be well thought out, and a great set up for an elk hunt in the mountains. Sounds like sometimes you DO actually get what you pay for. Do you think the small stove would work ok? My thoughts were that the medium would be better for allowing a slightly larger entry and space for bigger logs than the small would allow. Looks like the medium had two flu vents on the door too, vs one for the small.
Thanks for the feedback and the picture JCberg!

I used my Sawtooth September and October in Montana thru snowstorms and high winds and can tell you it is one AWESOME setup. I run the Kifaru medium box stove and there is nothing better than going to sleep warm and dry! You can let it run out and night and just throw some split logs on the hot coals, shut the door, and it will start up again shortly. A small axe is really nice for splitting wood and I don't go anywhere without one. Two guys in a sawtooth is perfect. Happy hunting!

Shrek

WKR
Guys , this is a really large shelter for two people and the medium stove is not at all too big or restrictive in the opening. The medium stove is a much better option as the fire not only last longer but much easier to keep going. Even with the medium stove if you let the fire die down and throw a couple of cold pieces of wood on it it is likely to go out. The fire being suspended with air circulating all around the metal it looses its heat rapidly. I put fuel under the stove to preheat it so it burns better as I add it.

Guys , this is a really large shelter for two people and the medium stove is not at all too big or restrictive in the opening. The medium stove is a much better option as the fire not only last longer but much easier to keep going. Even with the medium stove if you let the fire die down and throw a couple of cold pieces of wood on it it is likely to go out. The fire being suspended with air circulating all around the metal it looses its heat rapidly. I put fuel under the stove to preheat it so it burns better as I add it.

Works great in the Holiday Inn parking lot I heard!

A couple of pics to get you back on track.

DSC03589-1.jpg

DSC03563.jpg

DSC03565.jpg

DSC02840.jpg

DSC02842.jpg

DSC02899.jpg

DSC03724.jpg

DSC03748.jpg

OP
R

rbljack

WKR
Great pics backpack. I think that first one with the glow into the tent and the fire coming out of the pipe is awesome. And that last picture looks like you set up camp on a bench with a great view! it really does help to see pictures of these tents in use to see how the gear layouts work, headroom, etc. As an example, one thing I never thought of until viewing pics of it, is that it appears possible to actually put a small chair or log in there, and sit up off the ground. Might have to move some gear around to do that, but that could be handy if the weather goes to heavy rains, and your pretty much confined to camp. Ive hunted in the rain before, but when it starts to downpour for extended periods of time, it gets old fast! Id rather be out in snow than rain anytime.

Shrek

WKR
I sit in my Helinox chair inside my Sawtooth. Set it to the side of the front pole between the pole and the door facing my stove . Throw my legs out each side of the stove and feed the stove and relax. Puts me up higher so the heat from the stove warms me better. I'm 6'4" and have a really long torso so if I can sit in a raised chair there just about anyone can.