MR Pintler reviews?

BWG13

Lil-Rokslider
I know they're still fairly new, but has anybody gotten their hands on the Pintler yet? I have an EXO 3500 that I picked up on the classifieds here, but haven't really had the opportunity to try it out other than throwing some gear in it and carrying it around the house. Most of the hunting I do is day hunts with an occasional night spent out in the field (away from base camp), so I'm not too sure if I'm convinced with the EXO pocket setup. Seems like the pack would spend most of it's time less than half full with it's size.

I like having a few more pockets, even if they are smaller, so that I can organize my gear a bit better. The Pintler seems to be about the right size (cu. in.) fro my hunting style AND has a stout looking meat/load shelf for packing out an animal. from the few pics I've seen, the Pintler has a nice interior pocket setup, but I haven't seen one firsthand.

Anybody have the new MR Pintler that can share their thoughts and preferences? How's the Guide Light frame vs the EXO? Thanks.

If you want to read reviews for the bag only do a search for longbow. Same thing. New frame hasn't really been out long enough to get much user input.

As stated it is basically a Longbow. That said, shame on MR. UNLIKE Kifaru and Exo. You can not buy just the pack bag or a lid for that matter. So those who already invested their hard earned money on a Nice frame do not have the option to buy new packs for that one frame!! If you want a new pack you MUST buy with new frame. I had a friend complain about it and I said that could not be right. So I got on the phone to inquire today. Sure as **** it's a no go.

I'm also interested in the Pintler. I'm not a bag-swapper so the new system is 100% fine by me.

Ill be interested to see someones inputs on the Pintler as well, I've always wanted a bigger tri-zip pack with a load shelf.

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
I have a longbow and the only thing i thought it lacked was a load shelf like was on some of their other bags. Other than that it is a good little day pack. The pintler seems to remedy that. My issue with the NICE frame was the harness. I hunt archery and rifle depending on what I can get drawn for and i cant shoot a rifle with the pack on. I have an idea for fitting a HPG harness on my NICE frame. If i figure it out then the longbow will be seeing more use.

elkyinzer

WKR
I have a longbow and the only thing i thought it lacked was a load shelf like was on some of their other bags. Other than that it is a good little day pack.

No load shelf when? My old man bought one last year and it sure as heck had a good one. Here's packing a front quarter, a real front quarter with the brisket and flank meat attached. Longbow/Pintler is imo the best daypack out there with legit hauling capability.

Also as noted above, I called MR to bitch and they said once they get their new distribution model straightened out, bag-only will be available, but it could take a year or so. I think this whole thing was poor planning/communication on their part, but as long as they get the pack right I can get past that.

OP
B

BWG13

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies fellas...I looked into the older model MR packs and they do have some options similar the new Pintler. Another option I'm considering is trying to wait for EXO's new daypack...supposed to be around 2000 cu. in. and have the load shelf. Then I'd have the 3500 bag as a back country option and be able to swap the smaller bag for the majority of my hunts. Anybody heard anything else about the new EXO bags other than what's been posted on the website?

Anybody have input on the GL frame vs the EXO?

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider

Also as noted above, I called MR to bitch and they said once they get their new distribution model straightened out, bag-only will be available, but it could take a year or so. I think this whole thing was poor planning/communication on their part, but as long as they get the pack right I can get past that.

Been waiting on mine since May. Just not what I was expecting for a known good company

Trial153

WKR
I really like mine. So far I have hauled up to 80 pounds with both the bag/frame and load hauler frame combo. I think the guide light frame does everything the nice frame did while being lighter.
The bag is very Functional especially as a primary daypack. Access is easy through the center zip with two Interior side sleeves ,They're also too small pockets above them with zippers their deep enough to be functional. The only issue I have with the bag, Is when the side sleeves are full it's hard to access the very bottom of the pack .Honestly though It's a pretty minor issue and can be alleviated by using sleeves for the primary items that you take in-and-Often. I like both the bag and the frame a lot.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
Even though we're responding to a year old thread, I'm sure someone else will read this. I agree with everything Trial153 has said so I won't repeat that and add some other thoughts.

IMO the pintler is a perfect day-pack/overnighter/weekend(if your comfortable not being comfortable).

I just got back from an 8 day hunt and the max I could stay out was 3 days. In the pack I fit a tripod and 65mm spotter in the two outside pockets. On the inside I carried in my kill kit, bivy, 40* down bag, sleeping pad, 3 days of food, 5L of water and a FL uncomphagre jacket. Top lid I had steripen, first aid kit, & a few other possibles in a 2.5L dry bag. There literally wasn't room for anything else. Maybe another days worth of food at most. Note I didn't have anything strapped to my pack other than the spotter & tripod in the pockets. The height of the pintler is perfect for putting the bow behind your head and resting it on the frame/pack to walk around, I did this a lot!

Come colder weather, the pintler is probably limited to being an overnight pack due to more room taken up by thicker jacket & sleeping bag. Since someone is going to ask, I carried 5L because I had never hunted the area before and didn't have a known source of water.

In daypack mode this thing is awesome. Once I found the elk (antlerless archery) I dropped camp and it was just the 3L bladder, FL jacket, days worth of food, & possibles. This is where the pintler shines. Super small, light (relatively, maybe more comfortable than light), and tough. I'm going to keep pushing this bag to see how far I can take it as I have a hunt every month through December, but I'm pretty sure that once MR starts selling bags only again I will be buying a metcalf to use on anything longer than an overnight.

Hope this helps

Steve

NDGuy

WKR
but I'm pretty sure that once MR starts selling bags only again I will be buying a metcalf to use on anything longer than an overnight.

I hate to bring bad news but I spoke with MR a few months ago and as of then, they had no plans for having the Metcalf be sold bag only. They told me that the Pintler will be sold without the frame as well as a new pack called "The Mule". Maybe look to sell or take back your Pintler now and swap for the Metcalf.

Of course they could change their mind, maybe give them a call on it.

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
There is a Metcalf bag on eBay right now

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

TheTone

WKR
Been waiting on mine since May. Just not what I was expecting for a known good company

I would check with other retailers if you're waiting on a pack. I was just in Schnees and they had a bunch of packs in stock.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
I hate to bring bad news but I spoke with MR a few months ago and as of then, they had no plans for having the Metcalf be sold bag only. They told me that the Pintler will be sold without the bag as well as a new pack called "The Mule". Maybe look to sell or take back your Pintler now and swap for the Metcalf.

Of course they could change their mind, maybe give them a call on it.

rather confused with this part
Pintler will be sold without the bag
what do you mean by this? pack without the GuideLight frame?
thanks

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
I would check with other retailers if you're waiting on a pack. I was just in Schnees and they had a bunch of packs in stock.

Yes, I checked in with Scheels...great CS...we're talking back and forth with price matching with OpticPlanet's deal. OP made a deal to ship outside my state to avoid ridiculous sales tax that doesn't feed into the Land Conservation and Hunting community. Scheels in my state is trying to work with me on this issue on where to pay less: State Tax vs Shipping fee.

Scheels is even offering a one-to-one fitting if I visit them on coming weekend. Scheels seems to grow on me with their CS.
BlackOvis has great CS also but not as competitive at this time and doesn't have my size.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
Pack video review from Hunter Jason Matzinger [video=youtube_share;a5BRZs2ZGKY]https://youtu.be/a5BRZs2ZGKY[/video]
Frame video review from BlackOvis [video=youtube_share;x827H-O_LdU]https://youtu.be/x827H-O_LdU[/video]

NDGuy

WKR
rather confused with this part
what do you mean by this? pack without the GuideLight frame?
thanks

My bad I meant frame. MR as of last I talked to them had no plans selling the Metcalf bag separately. You can always look for the bag online tho.