MR Pintler reviews?

NDGuy

WKR
Yes, I checked in with Scheels...great CS...we're talking back and forth with price matching with OpticPlanet's deal. OP made a deal to ship outside my state to avoid ridiculous sales tax that doesn't feed into the Land Conservation and Hunting community. Scheels in my state is trying to work with me on this issue on where to pay less: State Tax vs Shipping fee.

Scheels is even offering a one-to-one fitting if I visit them on coming weekend. Scheels seems to grow on me with their CS.
BlackOvis has great CS also but not as competitive at this time and doesn't have my size.

Scheels is great!

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
finally received my Pintler.
Since MR doesn't post enough pictures of this pack, here's a gallery I made so you can decide if this pack is for you
Disclaimer. I have not hunted nor done an overnight with said pack

Mystery Ranch Pintler 2017 - Album on Imgur Gallery
f1Gq1jWl.jpg

Overload Gallery Mystery Ranch Pintler: Overload Shelf - Album on Imgur

SVx0tLQl.jpg

Last edited:

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
Well, it's official I need to downsize from Medium to Small

5+ miles with 26 lbs of gear & 3 liters of water on my MR Pintler.
Finally came to conclusion that I need a Small size Yoke and Waist.
Reference:
height 5'7"
waist 32"

Re: Once the Yoke and lumbar area gets wet from sweat, the pack gets slippery and slides down approximately 3-4" and it may not seem much, but, discomfort comes from ounces to pounds in a heartbeat.
pre hike I was in contact with MR CS and they actually recommend I load it up more gear and more time and see if I truly need to downsize.

[video=youtube_share;pE-FMuVBREs]https://youtu.be/pE-FMuVBREs[/video]

Last edited:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well, it's official I need to downsize from Medium to Small

5+ miles with 26 lbs of gear & 3 liters of water on my MR Pintler.
Finally came to conclusion that I need a Small size Yoke and Waist.
Reference:
height 5'7"
waist 32"

Re: Once the Yoke and lumbar area gets wet from sweat, the pack gets slippery and slides down approximately 3-4" and it may not seem much, but, discomfort comes from ounces to pounds in a heartbeat.
pre hike I was in contact with MR CS and they actually recommend I load it up more gear and more time and see if I truly need to downsize.

Sanity check for you. Is the whole belt slipping down or just the rear? If the whole belt then yeah you need a smaller belt.

If the front of the belt is in the right spot but the lumbar has slipped down and is hitting the top of your glutes then make sure those straps coming off the bottom corners of the frame are attached to the face of the pack and snugged up taught. They pull backwards on the rear corners of the frame and without that tension I found the frame would flex there and the lumbar would drop down a few inches while the front stayed where it should be. Once I realized that I've been hauling 75lb loads in training fine using a medium yolk also, I'm a 33, sometimes 34 waist though.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
Sanity check for you. Is the whole belt slipping down or just the rear? If the whole belt then yeah you need a smaller belt.

If the front of the belt is in the right spot but the lumbar has slipped down and is hitting the top of your glutes then make sure those straps coming off the bottom corners of the frame are attached to the face of the pack and snugged up taught. They pull backwards on the rear corners of the frame and without that tension I found the frame would flex there and the lumbar would drop down a few inches while the front stayed where it should be. Once I realized that I've been hauling 75lb loads in training fine using a medium yolk also, I'm a 33, sometimes 34 waist though.

I'll check it and make adjustments. thanks

I'm not following which buckles you are referring to. Do you have a picture of said buckle.
I also pushed the Yoke further down and was able to get an inch further down.
Will try to get another hike this week

Also, as someone has advice, the type of clothing affects the slippage. I was wearing one of them slick athletic shirts runners use. They are slippery and with sweat, it may have contributed.

Last edited:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The ones that go to the those ladderlocs low on the face of your pintler.

Here they are on mine setup with a buckle.

JSjjjdFl.jpg

If those aren't pulling backwards here's how the frame can twist and the lumbar slips down. With those pulling backwards it all stays where it should (on me). Night and day difference in how it fits me.
F2J2qO8l.jpg

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
much appreciated.
I didn't have them locked since I had the Overload shelf full with my dry bag.
I believe your still right. I didn't have this experience when I wasn't using the Overload and these were locked.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah just put some tension on them to the buckles on the rear of the bag or still around to the front of the bag (depends if you want to compress the bottom of the bag).

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
I took it out again, with another similar slick easy wick sports shirt...non cotton...and there is still slippage. I sunk the Yoke as far it would go, that raised the frame up a bit. Better experience but needs improvements Mystery Ranch Pintler - Album on Imgur

I pulled the Overload straps to prevent bottoming of the dry bag
9yA4iTG.jpg

cinched this little strap too...not sure if it helped
XrXDGq6.jpg

pulled the extra strap on the waist so it doesn't hang so much in front and cinched it real good
t1bDhtY.jpg

buckled anything that could get buckled
p1XX1rz.jpg

there's maybe an inch more I can sink that yoke in, but, it's really tight and my plastic bag-technique wasn't working today.
any special technique to sink that yoke in?

thanks

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Can you take a picture from the side when its on and feels like its sagging to see if the frame is flexing there? The way you have it right now those straps are clipped to the back of your pintler and might not be pulling backwards enough, you might have to undo those buckles and just tension off the ladderlocs on the face of the pintler. If that isn't it I'm not sure, it made a difference in how the pack fit me. :)

I'm not sure why you are trying to sink the yoke down, I don't want my shoulders holding up the load and do the opposite. I pull it up so when the pack settles its not pulling down on my shoulders its just wrapped around me to support it from moving side to side with the load on my hips. I crank the belt down to keep it in place (along with those straps needing to pull backwards). Otherwise it kept sagging down and loading my shoulders while also pressing into my glutes.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I gotta say out of context that video likely would have some folks laughing. :) Yeah that rear frame corner looks straight, that was my issue with the pack fit. The only other thought I have coming to mind since the rear is actually above the front of the belt right now is depending on where your hip bones actually are is try wearing the belt higher up (yes it'll compress on the front of your stomach). I don't wear my pack belt where my the belt on my pants is, that is actually near the bottom of the pack belt pads.

So in summary for me personally: 1) I have those corner straps tight. 2) I wear the belt up higher where my hips are and crank it down, it does go across/near my belly button. 3) I have the yolk let out so that the seam line is lined up with my shoulder blade under load which in turn means the harness is not pulling down on me very much.

With all that in mind I've come to enjoy this frame over my NICE while training with 75lb. In switching back and forth with that load I've noticed the NICE for some reason cramps up the middle of my upper back where as the guidelight does not. I do enjoy the size and PALS belt of the nice frame for day hunting for instance though.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
thanks for not placing score cards up to judge my "sway" :cool:

So, I'm glad it's not a sizing issue, but, a wear issue. I'll try to place the belt "higher" or in line with belly button.
The pit-falls of a sexy hips I guess.

I'll try adjusting the yoke height also. I did enjoy having that "space" in between, to let the air in between my shoulder blades and the pack

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
......... 2) I wear the belt up higher where my hips are and crank it down, it does go across/near my belly button.......

Just wanted to report back that these technique does work for me too. Thanks.

Even MR CS doesn't agree with selling me a smaller size belt. MR CS wanted to see the video and pictures and they'll make suggestions.

Again thanks for your help

Personally, I know nothing about the pintler. But, I know pack fit. if that yoke were a 1/2- an inch shorter, your problems would go away. Your lumbar pad is setting to low. Cinching it down when set properly, automatically lifts the pack off your shoulders. So, don't fret that. If you'll use the natural curve of your back to hold the lumbar pad in the center of the curve of your lumbar area, versus the bottom of it, your slippage and carrying issues would disappear. You are close as is. But, heavy loads would see the advantages of the proper fit. God Bless

406Hunt

FNG
Ledanek,
What size dry bag are you running with the backpack? And would you keep the same size or go bigger?

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
Ledanek,
What size dry bag are you running with the backpack? And would you keep the same size or go bigger?
Got it used from another forum.
It's a REI DRYSACK 25 Liters. For my day trips, it's plenty for me.