Testing the Stone Glacier Sky Talus 6900

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Justin interested to hear your thoughts running this bag in bivy mode.....one of the things I like about SG bags is they tuck in behind you really well. How do you like using the side pockets so far? Do they feel like they are "wide" behind you or more streamlined?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whacker1

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking at making a move from the Sky 6200 to Sky Talus 6900 pack due to the outer pocket configuration. I love my pack, but see it as an improvement for my needs. Looking forward to hearing what else you have to share.

Cheers mate,
That's quite impressive especially with the dual zipper option.
How functional have you found the pocket setup? It looks very very well thought out.

Regards RH

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Justin interested to hear your thoughts running this bag in bivy mode.....one of the things I like about SG bags is they tuck in behind you really well. How do you like using the side pockets so far? Do they feel like they are "wide" behind you or more streamlined?

Bivy mode on this pack is pretty slick. I'm always torn though on how I want to use it for the day because I don't usually need the extra space the lid provides, but I like the extra organization. I'll post up some pictures of how I'm setting it up in both configurations. I don't feel the side pockets stick out far at all. My only complaint about them is I wish they were actually bigger so I could fit my spotter inside easier. After talking to Kurt though, I'm now running my spotter inside the center zip of the main bag, and putting other gear in the side pockets. This is working well, and I'm getting used to the different location.

Cheers mate,
That's quite impressive especially with the dual zipper option.
How functional have you found the pocket setup? It looks very very well thought out.

Regards RH

Pocket layout is always going to be a personal preference thing. Every user will have a different "ideal" configuration imo. My personal feelings are that this bag provides plenty of organization for my uses, and I really like the possibles pouches that attach against the inside of the bag. The swing out pockets are pretty convenient as well.

I would have no problem using this bag for everything from day hunting to extended backcountry hunts. It's very versatile. I'll try and shoot a quick video when I get a chance showing how I'm running this bag, and that will hopefully give you guys the info needed to see if it will work for your needs.

sniper61

Lil-Rokslider
I have about 100 miles on this pack in the last 6 weeks and I am in love. From 20lbs. to 90 lbs. It feels good on me. I would like to use it as a day pack after setting up the spike camp, I got the minimalist buckle kit but am unsure how to use them. I got the buckle kit and added the male and female buckle to the side compression strap to lock around my rifle after sliding the butt down the open lower pocket . The early tests worked great.

whacker1

Lil-Rokslider
Justin, what spotter are you running that doesn't fit as well as you would like? or easily as you would like?

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider
Great, another pack to fog up my decision on which set up I want.

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Justin, what spotter are you running that doesn't fit as well as you would like? or easily as you would like?

I'm running the Swarovski ATS 20-60x80mm. It fits in the side pockets, but very tightly, and it's a pain to get in and out. With the center zip it's no big deal putting it in the bag though.

whacker1

Lil-Rokslider
I'm running the Swarovski ATS 20-60x80mm. It fits in the side pockets, but very tightly, and it's a pain to get in and out. With the center zip it's no big deal putting it in the bag though.

Thank You I am running the STS 20-60 x60. Is there enough disparity in size that it will fit better than the 80 mm?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

Great, then my angled S2 is going to be very tight as well. Are the pockets smaller than their individual spotting scope pockets that you can attach? I have a couple of those, but was hoping to get away from them.

Kotaman

WKR
Great, then my angled S2 is going to be very tight as well. Are the pockets smaller than their individual spotting scope pockets that you can attach? I have a couple of those, but was hoping to get away from them.

IMO, the separate pockets are a hair longer. My straight 80 was tight in those as well.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Stone Glacier Sky Talus 6900

Here is a quick video showing how I'm using it for day hunts.

[video=youtube;Cd4IXYri_tU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd4IXYri_tU[/video]

Thanks again mate. I hope to hear a report soon of how you had to get a great bear out ten miles back from the trail head with this pack! Good luck on your bear hunt mate.

Regards,

RH

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I took some time this morning to mess around with attaching the Talus bag to a Kifaru frame. From what I can see, it doesn't look like it would work very well at all. The part of the Talus that goes over the top of the Krux frame doesn't fit over the top of the Kifaru frame.

Honestly, I think the two systems are both very well made, and thought out. I personally don't see a benefit to mixing and matching them. I would just pick the one that works best for you, and enjoy it.