Testing the Stone Glacier Sky Talus 6900

sr80

WKR
Just got back from my trip in northern BC, I put the SG talus to the test...as well as my body!! Approx weight of this load is 175lbs! My pack was already full with camp, and all the meat from a billy goat when we spotted a herd of caribou, we stalked into 350 yrds and both me and partner killed a bull each. We decided to ad the head and capes to our already heavy load to help lighten the load for the next day while we were packing out the meat from out bulls. No pack is comfortable with that kind of weight, but i was very impressed with how well the SG handled it, kept the load close to my back.

Manosteel

WKR
Great review, totally agree on the Kifaru frme being the bench mark but with that said I have always like the looks ND layout of the SG bags. To bad they don't match up to the Kifaru frame better.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
sr80, looks like you really put the Stone Glacier to the test! Nice work!

Put a bunch more miles on the Sky Talus on my last deer and elk hunting trip. I packed a pretty good load for 6 miles in Colorado after my brother got his buck. He packed out the deer while I went back and packed out both our camps.

Looking for wolves in Idaho.

01%20Sky%20Talus_zpszkbmlhjo.jpg

sr80

WKR
sr80, looks like you really put the Stone Glacier to the test! Nice work!

Put a bunch more miles on the Sky Talus on my last deer and elk hunting trip. I packed a pretty good load for 6 miles in Colorado after my brother got his buck. He packed out the deer while I went back and packed out both our camps.

Looking for wolves in Idaho.

01%20Sky%20Talus_zpszkbmlhjo.jpg

You bet, I really like the pack. It has surpassed my expectations with that kind of load! And...great for day hikes too

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Some western WA muzzy elk hunting. Didn't get into the elk yesterday but we put on a bunch of miles in the wet timber. The Sky Talus kept everything dry inside all day and I can't say enough about the Firstlite SEAK jacket.

a10340aa51eb5470ef1a918dce439718.jpg

whacker1

Lil-Rokslider
I packed out 3 bulls and 1 mule deer this year in my Sky Talus 6900. I couldn't be happier. Yesterday was my most recent experience. 75-80lbs in each of two trips and felt pretty solid for all 6 hours and 8 miles of the two trips.

Benjblt

WKR
I packed out 3 bulls and 1 mule deer this year in my Sky Talus 6900. I couldn't be happier. Yesterday was my most recent experience. 75-80lbs in each of two trips and felt pretty solid for all 6 hours and 8 miles of the two trips.
When you have the load shelf loaded and the bag loaded as well, with compression straps tight, does it smash the contents in the bag.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
When you have the load shelf loaded and the bag loaded as well, with compression straps tight, does it smash the contents in the bag.

It certainly compresses them, but keep in mind the upper straps on the load shelf that connect to the frame also take some of the load independent of the side compression straps that connect to the bag. I've never had anything "smashed" where it was a problem while packing meat with the SG frame.

Benjblt

WKR
It certainly compresses them, but keep in mind the upper straps on the load shelf that connect to the frame also take some of the load independent of the side compression straps that connect to the bag. I've never had anything "smashed" where it was a problem while packing meat with the SG frame.

Thanks for the feedback. It was something that came up in my research trying to decide between the Kifaru Reckoning and the Sky Talus 6900. It seems like both would compress the bag some on the zipper side of the pack but I guess you would be stuck with a little of that either way as you would be compressing the bag to the meat to contain the load against the frame.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Justin, how would you say the water resistance compares to that of Kifaru?

Also, I like your puffy jacket. ;) What brand?
Kifaru doesn't use waterproof/resistant zippers so you would get more water in the pack. I'll shoot a video of a Kifaru, Exo, and the Stone Glacier getting sprayed when I get all three together. It will be a little while because my Stone Glacier is in Colorado and the Exo won't be shipping for a couple weeks.

The puffy is an Arc'teryx. It's my favorite and I wear it almost every day this time of year. It's lighter and warmer than anything else I've tried.

Benjblt

WKR
Kifaru doesn't use waterproof/resistant zippers so you would get more water in the pack. I'll shoot a video of a Kifaru, Exo, and the Stone Glacier getting sprayed when I get all three together. It will be a little while because my Stone Glacier is in Colorado and the Exo won't be shipping for a couple weeks.

The puffy is an Arc'teryx. It's my favorite and I wear it almost every day this time of year. It's lighter and warmer than anything else I've tried.
Got it. Thanks. Waterproof zippers matter more for me on the West side of Oregon where I live.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Robby!

Guys this was a fun test and it's a great pack. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Twigg

FNG
Has anyone tried this bag with the new Xcurve frame. I know its a little heavier than the Krux, but supposed to be more comfortable and distribute weight better?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Has anyone tried this bag with the new Xcurve frame. I know its a little heavier than the Krux, but supposed to be more comfortable and distribute weight better?

In short yes, the new frame is more comfortable and distributes weight better for me. I have some curve to my back though. I think the comfort gain FAR exceeds the weight tradeoff.

R_burg

WKR
Finally started buying things for this summers camping / scouting and next years season... and I pulled the trigger on a Sky Talus 6900 with the new x curve.

I started that thread on Kifaru vs SG fit (which surprisingly seemed to lean towards SG) and the Sky Talus 6900 and xcurve belts combination hasnt been in stock since I made the thread, haha.

I didnt want to show my face around here until I actually put in the order, which I did last week :D