Testing the Stone Glacier Sky Talus 6900

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
A little background for those who don't know me. I have been backpack hunting for a little more than ten years now. I was lucky when I started out, and chose an Arc'teryx Bora as my first pack. That pack served me well for quite a few years, and I still think they are a great option for people getting into the sport. For the last several years, I have been partnered with Kifaru and recommend their packs to anyone seeking a top quality pack. After using most their frames, and a lot of their bags, I really can't say enough about the quality, and customer service. Just about everyone I hunt with has made the switch after trying one of mine.

Stone Glacier is also known for making top of the line hunting packs, and I have been curious how they compare to Kifaru, which I consider the benchmark for top quality gear. This year, they came out with the Sky Talus 6900 which caught my eye since it has a lot of the features I like in a pack, and is very lightweight. Kurt sent me a Sky Talus to test this year, and I will be posting my thoughts, and honest feedback, along with a bunch of pictures on this thread.

02%20Talus_zps2co27kdi.jpg

01%20Talus_zpsko8iajgw.jpg

01%20Coyote%20hunting_zpslciltkle.jpg

03%20Talus_zpsfk9y8lrk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and comparisons, I haven't been lucky enough to try a Kifaru yet, but really like the Krux frame I have. One of the cooler things Kurt doesnis offer just the bag, without the lid, for those of us with the other packs and the sky lid.

ljalberta

WKR
Great photos so far. I also am looking forward to following this thread. I'll hopefully be upgrading from the Osprey pack this spring, and the Sky Talus is certainly on the list of options.

Awesome to hear your thoughts on this mate, especially keen to hear about how waterproof the centre zip arrangement is.
Looks like a well designed pack with the requirement for no accessories off the bat.

Regards,

RH

Kotaman

WKR
I've had the Sky Talus on several hikes this spring. Looking forward to hear your comparisons. I also currently run a Kifaru Mountain Warrior with the Hunter Duplex. There are things I like about both setups but will hold my opinions until I hear your thoughts.

Look forward to your review. I purchased a SG PACK about a year ago. I was so happy with it. That is until I went over 35-40 lbs. It was so painful, it was unbearable. I tried everything??? I had such high hopes for it. No lumbar, extra lumbar. Still was unbearable pain and slipped down?? Still bothers me because they are such good quality and I so much wanted them to work for me.

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Hammer0419,
Just wrote you an email, our offer still stands if you would ever like to try our pack with a hipbelt to your specs. We have built custom belts for small frames, large frames, hip injuries, extra large lumbars, anything we can do to match the fit of the customer. I know you have system that works well for you, but just wanted you to know the offer is out there as you had positive comments on the pack and quality...thanks for the feedback:)
Best,
Kurt

Kurt, I thank you very much. I know you make a super product. Some day if I can swing another pack we can try.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry I haven't posted any updates guys. I've been really busy the last few weeks. I'll try to get through those requests this week.

This is a great pack that is very versatile. I'll get some more pics, and thoughts up soon.

puck60

FNG
Just ordered the Sky Talus 6900 and many many extras. I am excited. Talked to Colby at SG. The nicest person you would want to speak to. Colby was very, very helpful in answering questions and giving advice before I ordered.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
A few pictures of water resistance testing. I'll throw a video up on the YouTube channel shortly. I sprayed the pack directly with a hose for a couple minutes which is very extreme compared to rain falling down. The pack material, and zippers held the water out perfectly. The only places I had leakage was where the zippers meet. Overall not bad imo. If a guy takes a little care with where he places the zipper pulls,the pack contents should stay dry.

81a72897a908674b596ab06b1dd583c3.jpg

3a636129d6fb6faffc5a852430487b28.jpg

9f452dcdfcafb4ad22e1ff004b3ab8e5.jpg

f22ba3674c2ce6325357891df8d4b2ec.jpg

7c9d3b7a248c5b8f07ac934e2f6633f1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Video of the water resistance test.