Stone Glacier and Kifaru

Very impressive and well written. Thanks for taking the time to do this. Makes this site an invaluable resource, and kept us all on the edge of our seats until the BT1's started showing up :)

blb078

WKR
Great review. Really helps a guy make an informed decision. Hopefully feed back like this is not ignored by Stone Glacier. Would love to see a Stone Glacier Version 2.0 with a better hip belt.

Not sure what you mean by "better hip belt" it's pretty good as is, just because it doesn't tighten the way the Kifaru does doesn't mean it needs to be "better". That'd be like me saying "Hope Kifaru takes this feedback and makes it better to adjust the pack". The Kifaru pack adjust just fine, just not the same way the SG does. I've never had an issue w/the hip belt on my Terminus and when you pull that thing tight it stays that way it doesn't loosen up at all.

**Side note about one of the pics in the article. The one labeled "Kifaru Lumbar Accessory Pad" should be the SG Lumbar Pad.

Last edited:

Jager

WKR
Great published article BB, you deserve a big tax break. lol Kidding. Well written and very informative.

blb078, remember everyone has different ideas on what works best for them, comfort and performance wise.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Brian,

I understand what you are saying about the SG hipbelt working fine. It does work fine and stays put as you said. Still, the Kifaru belt is better all the way around, and IMO, SG would do well to at least add the power pull feature.

On the typo, nice catch. I also noted the weights list it reads "Bikini/Highlander" when it should read "Bikini/High Camp"

Not sure what you mean by "better hip belt" it's pretty good as is, just because it doesn't tighten the way the Kifaru does doesn't mean it needs to be "better". That'd be like me saying "Hope Kifaru takes this feedback and makes it better to adjust the pack". The Kifaru pack adjust just fine, just not the same way the SG does. I've never had an issue w/the hip belt on my Terminus and when you pull that thing tight it stays that way it doesn't loosen up at all.

**Side note about one of the pics in the article. The one labeled "Kifaru Lumbar Accessory Pad" should be the SG Lumbar Pad.

Whisky

WKR
Nice write up BB!!! Job well done. Thanks for your efforts.

My own thoughts on the SG basically mirror yours thus far. They are nice packs no doubt!! I am pleased.... But I also can't wait to try out a Bikini and T1. I really do think I will like the layout of the T1 quite well.

Whisky

cmeier117

WKR
Matt or Aron,

With the 7000 high camp how would you carry meat if you basically had nothing in the pack. For example you weren't carrying camp out so you didn't have clothes, sleeping bag etc... to help keep meat off bottom of pack? could you use a single lash strap midway up the frame and compress the bag down all way with the strap and then put the meat in and compress with the top two compression straps and another lash strap? Trying to avoid having to buy the Gen 2 meat baggie.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The best way would be to get the gen 2 meat baggie!

You could definitely do it with lashing straps though. I tried it out with the sandbags myself.

cmeier117

WKR
If I did go with the gen 2 meat baggie is there space from the top of the meat baggie to the top of the pack to put more deboned meat if you want? Just not sure if the Gen 2 meat baggie will hold as much as I can handle for a max loud pack out?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
If I did go with the gen 2 meat baggie is there space from the top of the meat baggie to the top of the pack to put more deboned meat if you want? Just not sure if the Gen 2 meat baggie will hold as much as I can handle for a max loud pack out?

If you have more meat than the meat baggie will hold, you might as well fill up the whole bag.