Pack Waterproofing

BCsteve

WKR
I see that Mystery Ranch now recommends "RUST-OLEUM® NeverWet® Fabric Water Repelling Spray – CLEAR" for their packs. Anybody tried this product yet?

oldgoat

WKR
That's what I use to waterproof the feathers on my arrows and it absolutely works on those! If I was going to waterproof my pack, that's what I would use, the feathers feel normal afterwards. Follow the instructions closely, you have to do it outdoors, the fumes are horrible, but it dries to be odorles after 24ish hours

Randle

WKR
I have used it on an old pair of boots that still had life in them , a pair of fleece gloves and a pair of eddie bauer pants just to try it out and it does work very well. It did seem to stiffen the pants abit but nothing horrible. The water beads off very well and did not penetrate the material at all. The EB pants are water resistant anyway so I will see how it holds up compared to others I have that are not treated. I have not used it on a pack and not sure I will just yet, but if the manufacture recommends it , it should be OK.

JDZ

WKR
On a pack, would you have to seam-seal separately? Or will this stuff penetrate the seams and waterproof them?

LBFowler

WKR
On a pack, would you have to seam-seal separately? Or will this stuff penetrate the seams and waterproof them?

Even if you seal the seams separately you aren't going to have a waterproof pack, it will just shed a lot more water before it gets through.

WoodBow

WKR
I did a fair amount of research on never wet and it got pretty awful reviews from guys like us testing it on tents and such. Very fragile coating that is highly vulnerable to UV.

OP
B

BCsteve

WKR
I did a fair amount of research on never wet and it got pretty awful reviews from guys like us testing it on tents and such. Very fragile coating that is highly vulnerable to UV.

With all the different types of waterproofing out there, I'm assuming that if Mystery Ranch is recommending this Never Wet product that they must have tested it and liked the results.

Randle

WKR
With all the different types of waterproofing out there, I'm assuming that if Mystery Ranch is recommending this Never Wet product that they must have tested it and liked the results.

That's probably the best answer to it or not. I just haven't got the nerve to use it on my pack yet. Still testing on lesser gear.

JDZ

WKR
Even if you seal the seams separately you aren't going to have a waterproof pack, it will just shed a lot more water before it gets through.
Okay. Thanks. I guess I got all giddy when I saw the word "waterproof" in the title of this thread. I should have thought about it for 20 more seconds and realized it probably wasn't actually waterPROOF.

LBFowler

WKR
blame marketing for that, we keep getting told that waterproof is a yes/no question when it is nearly always a how much/for how long question.

If the spray helps with repellency and doesn't hurt the fabric (don't see how it would) it might be worth hitting a pack every time you go out, even if it just postpones gaining water weight it certainly won't hurt.

OP
B

BCsteve

WKR
Just sprayed my Longbow with the Rustoleum stuff. We'll see tomorrow if it works as advertised.

OP
B

BCsteve

WKR
Got the untreated guide lid and treated Longbow out and sprayed them with the hose. It's hard to tell on the video but although you can see some beading on the lid, the fabric also got wet. On the Longbow, the water beaded right off. It didn't change the colour of the fabric or the "feel"'of it. A very sligh smell to it but it is supposed to be odorless. It's barely a day old so I'm expecting the smell to disappear. Too early to tell how long it wil last but so far so good. I think I'll do my Metcalf and lid as well.

https://youtu.be/xzS2eIvXojM

Nik wax is a great product. I use it on my goretex and down products. I've never tried to waterproof a pack though.

I spayed some on my pack. It had a really strong odor wet. It stated that it will dry scent free. Can anyone co firm this? I decided to not coat after first spray.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

ohoopee

WKR
I found this Greenland wax treatment video last week. Im going to treat a lid and see how it works. Type "Greenland wax" on youtube.

OP
B

BCsteve

WKR
I spayed some on my pack. It had a really strong odor wet. It stated that it will dry scent free. Can anyone co firm this? I decided to not coat after first spray.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
If you used the right product (There are different types of never wet depending on the application) the odor was minimal when I applied it and pretty much all gone within a few days.