Testing the Stone Glacier Sky Archer 6200

sr80

WKR
After seeing that photo I was surprised it didn't feel more off balance as the camp load is out there a bit. I packed the heavier items of my camp as close to the meat load as possible which definitely helped out. Overall it didn't feel too bad. We had to descend a really steep headwall with some mandatory blowdown clambering and not once did it feel like my load wanted to tip me down hill. I could have carried half of my camp and a quarter in the bag and done the same on the 2nd day of packing meat but I really wanted to try all of the configurations I could on this trip. At the end of the long weekend I had carried
- a medium weight camp into the mountains.
- 2 boned quarters in the load shelf with a few day items in the bag.
- 1 quarter in the load shelf and a full camp in the bag.
- 1 quarter in the bag with day items in the bag.

I also find that with SG bags, their design is not really deep, but load tall. So that helps a lot keep the weight close to your back, even with a load shelf full of meat. I also love how i can use a 6900 ci bag as a day pack, and you would never know that your toting around a bag of that size by the way they compress so neatly and compact. :cool:

Last edited:

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
Hmmm, I might have to get this bag to compliment my solo bag. It seems like this would hold a TON more. I find it's tight with my solo for getting everything into the bag. I love the bag, just for later season hunts with more gear, a 6200 would have the space.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Hmmm, I might have to get this bag to compliment my solo bag. It seems like this would hold a TON more. I find it's tight with my solo for getting everything into the bag. I love the bag, just for later season hunts with more gear, a 6200 would have the space.

It's really nice the way it compresses, everyone I hunt with is shocked by how much the volume can vary in just a few seconds.

slick

WKR
I carry the 7400 and the serac. Like Wyatt said, they compress so well, and fold down into bivy mode so cleanly that they work great as a mid volume pack also. Add the lid, a full meat shelf, and I have the ability to also attach the serac if needed. Would be at 12,000+ cu in. Does everything I could ask of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's interesting to me that your shoulder straps are way farther back than Kurt recommends in his videos. Any particular reason for this? I'm trying to get mine set up and am going around in circles with all the different adjustments available lol.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's interesting to me that your shoulder straps are way farther back than Kurt recommends in his videos. Any particular reason for this? I'm trying to get mine set up and am going around in circles with all the different adjustments available lol.

Keen eye!

Kurt's instruction concerning fit are spot-on where you should start with harness fit...which is exactly what I did do in the beginning of my testing. However, I've been playing with the multitudes of adjustments in the system seeing how different load lift angles feel with standard camp loads and heavier load of meat. So what you are seeing in a few photos are few of the varying positions of the shoulder straps. I think the one you are referring to is one photo where the black/grey fabric line is on the back of my shoulder. You may notice the angle is a little less than 45 degrees and I was curious how the load would feel with the harness in a less than optimal position.

My advice is to follow Kurt's advice on setup and then micro adjust one thing at a time to get the best personalized feel if something doesn't fit quite right.

Instructions — Stone Glacier

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Quick Update:

I took the Sky Archer to Idaho for a few days of elk and mule deer hunting. My hunting partner and I logged a bunch of miles and carried some big loads of meat out of the mountains. We both killed bulls a few minutes apart on the same mountainside which generated a few days of work for us.

ID_2016_01.jpg

ID_2016_04.jpg

ID_2016_03.jpg

One bulls worth of boned meat:

ID_2016_02.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
The past few weeks I've been spending some time looking for trophy mule deer in Montana and Idaho; an activity where carrying a spotting scope and tripod is essential. With the Sky Archer 6200 I've really gotten used to the side zipper for access to the main bag where I keep my scope. For me it seems more more convenient than the center zip of the Sky 5100 as the contents are easier to dredge through from the side and I can do it with the bag laying down and harness up if needed. Some hunters may want a dedicated pocket for their scope but at this point I don't really need one. I just unsnap the side buckles holding tripod and open the bag for my scope. Its really simple and quick.

124.jpg

113.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm still putting some heavy loads on the pack....

092.jpg

IMG_1694.jpg

Last edited:
The past few weeks I've been spending some time looking for trophy mule deer in Montana and Idaho; an activity where carrying a spotting scope and tripod is essential. With the Sky Archer 6200 I've really gotten used to the side zipper for access to the main bag where I keep my scope. For me it seems more more convenient than the center zip of the Sky 5100 as the contents are easier to dredge through from the side and I can do it with the bag laying down and harness up if needed. Some hunters may want a dedicated pocket for their scope but at this point I don't really need one. I just unsnap the side buckles holding tripod and open the bag for my scope. Its really simple and quick.

Is that a short billed sitka hat like the old Jennings hats?

Your also the reason I chose to go with the sky archer over the regular sky. That side zip seems a lot more versatile in practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another update on the Sky Archer 6200:

I received a late night phone call from two friends needing help packing elk meat and a remote camp out of the mountains. These two guys have sacrificed more than a few days of their hunts over the years to help pack my elk out of the backcountry so I was more than happy to return the favor.

At daylight we hiked into the kill site and broke the bull into manageable pieces.

360.jpg

We then slogged up the ridge to camp, built a warming fire, and packed up camp. My bag had plenty of room for a few odd items like wet tarps, shelter, extra food, and a tripod. We returned to the elk by early evening and split the load three ways.
I packed a hind and a front quarter. With the harness and waist belt facing the ground, I slipped the hind into a Stone Glacier load cell dry bag and placed it into the load shelf. As a side note, the rear quarter was a tight fit into the dry bag and I don't think a mature bull elk hind quarter would fit even with the bone out. But smaller chunks of meat fit great and the shape of the load cell keeps the weight extending vertically along the spine offering a more stable load.

080.jpg

I placed a front shoulder on top of the rear and flipped the partially loaded Sky Archer bag on top and cinched it down. I pulled the straps extremely tight and wondered how the stitching was hold up after a full season of this kind of treatment.....but everything was holding up like new. Overall the durability has been exceptional. The pack has been drug through some torturous conditions and I cant find any premature wear or failures. But the season isn't over yet so there is a chance to add a little more stress to the system.

075.jpg
083.jpg

And Congrats to Jared on punching another public land elk tag!!

Last edited:
I will say the SG appeared to handle those two quarters and some extra gear very well; it didn't look awkward or over-stuffed at all. Thanks again Josh, another great day for the memory banks!

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now that the season is over, I'll start putting together my final thoughts on this set up. Stay patient while I work up a detailed report....

024_1.jpg

Last edited:

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
This is an awesome real world report, and very helpful as I'm trying to decide on a pack. Looking forward to more! Thanks!

Tex68w

WKR
I am looking forward to the final report as this is one of the bags from SG that I am considering.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm mostly finished with the write up. It just needs a little editing and I'll be satisfied. Thanks for being patient.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sky Archer 6200 — Stone Glacier

The tally for the past season was 8 loads of meat packed out of the mountains. The shortest was around 1 mile with around 1500 feet of elevation relief and the longest was around 6 miles with about 3700 ft of vertical relief. Most of my back packing trips last 3 to 7 days with fairly minimalist gear. My September backpack weights are around 30 pounds with food. The weights with meat varied from 65 pounds to 105 lbs.

Jared Lampton - DSC01757.jpg

Jared Lampton - DSC01764.jpg

The load shelf was used as the main space for meat carry, but I did put some into the main bag when I had only day gear along. Only one time I managed to carry a full boned out elk quarter in the load shelf while having a bag full of a complete camp. Having the heaviest and densest load carried close to the spine definitely helps with stability when on uneven ground. One drawback when the bag is loaded, the compression straps will squeeze the contents. By carefully packing gear that would be susceptible to damage, I didn't have any issues at all when loaded this way.

Comfort with 2 elk quarters was as good as expected. The two times I carried this much weight the distance was fairly short; around a mile and the load rode evenly distributed on my waist and shoulders. The load shelf was a little overwhelmed and extra pressure had to be applied to the compression straps in order to hold the meat in place. This caused a slight barreling of the frame but I could not tell when it was on my back. Over all the comfort was on par with most other packs I've used.

078.jpg

After one year of solid use, all of the buckles are intact, the stitching tight, and zippers fully functional. There is very little wear on the bottom of the pack bag and belt. I would have expected more, but the usual wear points look to be in great shape. Overall I've been extremely happy with this set up. The 3-piece belt is more comfortable for me over the 1-piece, as well as the features mesh nicely with my hunting style.
P1010529.jpg

Attachments

• P1010528.jpg
    P1010528.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
"After one year of solid use, all of the buckles are intact, the stitching tight, and zippers fully functional. There is very little wear on the bottom of the pack bag and belt. I would have expected more, but the usual wear points look to be in great shape. Overall I've been extremely happy with this set up. The 3-piece belt is more comfortable for me over the 1-piece, as well as the features mesh nicely with my hunting style."

Good to hear Josh