Testing the Stone Glacier Sky Archer 6200

Josh

You said near the end of your final comments the frame did barrel some with two quarters. I can take my frame and bend it so I am curious how "flat" your other loads were as SG instructs. Do you feel the barrel was due to the weight therefore forcing you to tighten the compression straps more than other loads or do you feel it was due to the hind quarter being against the frame and being slightly round?

Just trying to decide if meat needs to be cut into smaller chunks allowing it to spread out and lay flatter or if just removing the bone like I normally do will work. The frame just has a lot more flex or ability to barrel than I expected.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Josh

You said near the end of your final comments the frame did barrel some with two quarters. I can take my frame and bend it so I am curious how "flat" your other loads were as SG instructs. Do you feel the barrel was due to the weight therefore forcing you to tighten the compression straps more than other loads or do you feel it was due to the hind quarter being against the frame and being slightly round?

Just trying to decide if meat needs to be cut into smaller chunks allowing it to spread out and lay flatter or if just removing the bone like I normally do will work. The frame just has a lot more flex or ability to barrel than I expected.

I think it was mostly the extra weight and the extra tension needed to hold the load in place. I reefed on the straps as hard as I could in order to hold both bone-in quarters in place. I would not recommend cutting your meat into smaller chunks as that just makes for a messy clean up process come meat processing time. My goal is to keep the pieces of boned out meat in as few as possible. The less less surface area exposed the better......But back to the pack. Boned out meat or a single quarter loaded in the shelf or bag will not barrel the frame excessively.

I think it was mostly the extra weight and the extra tension needed to hold the load in place. I reefed on the straps as hard as I could in order to hold both bone-in quarters in place. I would not recommend cutting your meat into smaller chunks as that just makes for a messy clean up process come meat processing time. My goal is to keep the pieces of boned out meat in as few as possible. The less less surface area exposed the better......But back to the pack. Boned out meat or a single quarter loaded in the shelf or bag will not barrel the frame excessively.

Great that was my thought on the bones meat as well and I prefer to keep the chunks as large as possible.

gabenzeke

WKR
I know I'm late to the party, but overall, how does this compare to kifaru? I go back and forth between the two and can't make up my mind. Wish I could try both!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know I'm late to the party, but overall, how does this compare to kifaru? I go back and forth between the two and can't make up my mind. Wish I could try both!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Gabenzeke,
I do not have enough experience with the latest iterations of the Kifaru frame to make a fair comparison. I can say the new X-curve frame from Stone Glacier is more comfortable with heavy loads than the original Krux frame, so you may want to look into that line as another option. But for a comparison to a Kifaru you may want to PM Justin Crossley. I know he has experience with both lines.

-Josh

Last edited: