Testing the Stone Glacier Sky Archer 6200

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like Justin Crossley in his Sky Talus 6900 thread, I am in the beginning stages of real-world testing of a Stone Glacier pack. Kurt sent me a Sky Archer 6200 with a medium 3-piece belt to put through a season of "normal" use. The goal is to write a review at the end of the 2016 hunting season and discuss my findings more in-depth way. Last year I put over 750 lbs of meat in my freezer plus several hundred more in the freezers of friends; all via long wilderness packouts. This season I am hoping to have a similar pack testing conditions.

I have a little history with Stone Glacier as I've been using the Krux frame with a one piece belt paired to a Solo 3300, a Sky 5100, and a Minimalist since 2013. I have used almost every major pack manufacturer out there including Kifaru, Mystery Ranch (old and new versions), Kuiu, Sitka, and others. Hopefully I can offer a good comparison between the Stone Glacier line, as well as some of the other brands.

Currently I am using the pack at work for a little back country snow survey where I stuffed it full of winter survival gear, snow sampling tubes and snowshoes. In my spare time I've been taking it on evening bear hunts with my bow and video equipment being the bulk of the load. My future plans are to use it with weights for general training, backpacking trips and scouting this summer. Fall will find me chasing elk in 2 states, mule deer in 2 states, and if I am lucky a sheep hunt in MT. Hopefully I can provide some useful feedback to those looking into the Stone Glacier line of packs.

Hit me up with any questions and suggestions on this thread throughout the season and I will try my hardest to get back to you.

-Josh

P1010518.jpg

P1010517.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Pac8541

Lil-Rokslider
Been intrigued with SG for several years now but it'll take a lot to pull me away from the big K. Looking forward to your report and hoping actually, that it'll convince me I need one in some form. ;)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Kurt sent me a Sky Archer 6200 with a medium 3-piece belt to put through a season of "normal" use. I have a little history with Stone Glacier as I've been using the Krux frame with a one piece belt paired to a Solo 3300, a Sky 5100, and a Minimalist since 2013.

Ya, I'm interested to see how you feel about the differences between a 1-piece and 3-piece belt. I've been using the Krux with the 1-piece belt now since 2013 as well. Had the Solo and sold it, had the Skyarcher and sold it, I still have and use the Approach, and will most likely try the Talus as well. I generally don't like 3-piece belts......at least haven't found one yet that I do like.

Jumar,
I am very much looking forward to you report on the Sky Archer!

5milesback,
What did you not like about the Sky Archer? I have been saving since January for my first real pack and have it narrowed it down to the Stone Glacier and Kifaru.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
5milesback,
What did you not like about the Sky Archer? I have been saving since January for my first real pack and have it narrowed it down to the Stone Glacier and Kifaru.

The side pockets were too shallow for my preference. And without the use of the side pockets, it's just a big bag with a zipper. I think the Talus fixes this issue with deeper open side pockets and also has built in zippered side pouches. At least they appear to be a little deeper.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The side pockets were too shallow for my preference. And without the use of the side pockets, it's just a big bag with a zipper. I think the Talus fixes this issue with deeper open side pockets and also has built in zippered side pouches. At least they appear to be a little deeper.

What did you normally carry in the lower side pockets? I can get some pictures of the Talus with stuff in those pockets for you.

Josh,

That pack looks slick for the guys who like slim, simple packs.

MT_Wyatt

WKR

They are I compared them side by side last week in the shop. The zipper side of the sky archer is really just for arrows, tripod feet, tent poles, otherwise nothing else.

The ones on the Talus appeared to be an inch or two deeper.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ya, I'm interested to see how you feel about the differences between a 1-piece and 3-piece belt. I've been using the Krux with the 1-piece belt now since 2013 as well. Had the Solo and sold it, had the Skyarcher and sold it, I still have and use the Approach, and will most likely try the Talus as well. I generally don't like 3-piece belts......at least haven't found one yet that I do like.

This weekend I'll try to snap a few photos of the 1-piece and 3-piece belts next to one another. I have not used the 3-piece enough to have a solid opinion of it, but so far I've liked it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What did you normally carry in the lower side pockets? I can get some pictures of the Talus with stuff in those pockets for you.

I saw one of your pics in your thread with a water bottle or Nalgene in the Talus, that's why I said it "appears" like they made them deeper. No way the pockets on my Archer would have kept a Nalgene securely. That's what I use them for........or for a tripod, etc. Just like them deeper than the Skyarcher's were. They were also angled.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here are a couple pictures of the Sky Archer side pockets. It doesn't look like they were designed specifically for a nalgene, but the right side pocket would work if you really wanted to use it that way. I personally don't use bottles when I hunt so it is not a big deal for me. I can think of a bunch of other things I'll be using them for....tripod....extra arrows...collapsed trekking poles...tent poles....rifle...etc.

Left side:
P1010534.jpg

Right side:
P1010535.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
And here are a few photos showing the difference between the 1-piece and 3-piece belts.
P1010527.jpg

I've been playing around with the orientation of the lumbar pad of the 3-piece. It can be removed and flipped around and/or moved up and down in relation to the hip sections of the belt.

3-piece:
P1010536.jpg
P1010537.jpg
P1010530.jpg

The 1-piece belt I have been using with the optional lumbar pad installed. For me it gives be a little better fit and less slippage under heavy loads. I know some people prefer to wear the 1-piece without it......It's really nice the option exists.

1-piece
P1010539.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a couple pictures of the Sky Archer side pockets. It doesn't look like they were designed specifically for a nalgene, but the right side pocket would work if you really wanted to use it that way. I personally don't use bottles when I hunt so it is not a big deal for me. I can think of a bunch of other things I'll be using them for....tripod....extra arrows...collapsed trekking poles...tent poles....rifle...etc.

Left side:

[/IMG]

Right side:

[/IMG]

Jumar I think your links are broken, I can't see any of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

sr80

WKR
The mystery ranch water bottle holder works well on the 3 piece belt, itll attach in the corner and you dont even know that it is there.

jgeary338

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using my SG6200 for 2 years now and love it! It's my first "real" pack but i like the simplicity of it and its bombproof!