Help emr2 or nomad, camp bag, cargo panel,guide lid for my next pack

I'd say the guide lid is a given no matter what else you use.

I settled on the Nomad/Camp Bag/Grab-it combo to cover my trips. It's very versatile. I can day hunt with just the guide lid and grab-it and leave the rest in camp. I have run trips without the Nomad using compression straps and the grab-it to hold the camp bag on my Bikini frame when I want to be really light. With all of it together you have 8400 cubic inches which should easily let you do 10 days if your other gear is compact.

mrgreen

WKR
I have the Cargo Panel and camp bag. For me it's one of those 'seemed like a great idea' situations. I keep my Mountain Warrior on the frame, I use that for everything. I just jam what I need in there and I'm done. With the Cargo Panel/Camp Bag combo it takes more planning, which turns into over-thinking.

Having an actual pack bag is just simpler for me.

I also discovered that my bow with quiver attached fits inside the MW pack with my day hunting kit. This solves a problem I've had trying to hike in to a trailless area through tightly packed Cedar trees and shoulder high thorns. That crap is so aggravating, somehow I managed to pull a Primos sling off the bow.

murf45

WKR
I have the duplex frame with EMR II, Guide lid, two small pockets for the waist belt, and a kifaru bottle holder. This setup has worked great for everything I've used it for. day hikes to week long hunting trips.

oldgoat

WKR
I have the Nomad, big pro on it is it's so versatile. I can carry odd loads up against the frame and put my camp bag over the top of it. I've use it without camp bag to haul turkey blind etc. If you just haul normal stuff and backpack hunt then one of the other bags mentioned might be more convenient! In the picture is my Nomad, I have a folding toilet seat and shovel against the frame, camp bag on top of that, my wife's gear that we couldn't get in her Apollo is between the camp bag and my lid and the black bag is 18" Cylinder Stove. Wife has pretty bad arthritis in her hip and we don't go more than a mile in or so and need a comfortable camp.

welpro222

WKR
The nomad system is great, just got back from a 5 day hunt. Its nice to be able to strap things to frame directly and put lighter items in the camp bag. I didn't have any luck this time (again), but I could visualize how the nomad would have worked perfectly for packing out meat or meat and gear. I used the Nomad, guide lid, grab it, and camp bag, the camp bag got left behind at camp in my shelter, while the nomad/guide lid/grab it was used as my day pack. On most shorter hikes, it was just the guide lid by itself. I am still temped to try out the EMR II, but I really did like how I could drop the camp bag (loaded with base camp) and just fold in the nomad wings (loaded with day stuff) and I ready to take off. I was worried about excessive straps on the nomad, but it didn't bother me one bit.

G-unit

Lil-Rokslider
I miss my nomad, went with an exo 5500 this year and FINALLY punched an elk tag. I got frustrated loading the exo with meat. Part of that was exhaustion and a learning curve, but the nomad would have been much simpler.

I miss my nomad, went with an exo 5500 this year and FINALLY punched an elk tag. I got frustrated loading the exo with meat. Part of that was exhaustion and a learning curve, but the nomad would have been much simpler.
I've heard guys say that the Nomad is too complicated and they had to think too much with it, but it doesn't seem that way to me after a few uses. As long as you don't bury frequently needed items in the bottom of a tube pocket it's pretty easy to work with.

oldgoat

WKR
I've heard guys say that the Nomad is too complicated and they had to think too much with it, but it doesn't seem that way to me after a few uses. As long as you don't bury frequently needed items in the bottom of a tube pocket it's pretty easy to work with.

Yep! Stuff I use real regular goes in my lid! A little practice and it's all easier.

I had an Emr 2 but it is too much back for me doing 90% day hunts this year so I sold it. I am using a mystery ranch crew cab. I love the concept so far. Both are a bit complex but once you strap something to the frame that wouldn't fit in the bag like a sack of corn or a tree stand, you appreciate the utility of the design. To the extent I played with it the Emr was pretty cool. If they made a pack that followed that design but was a little less capacity it would be the bees knees.

G-unit

Lil-Rokslider
Yep! Stuff I use real regular goes in my lid! A little practice and it's all easier.

This... I ran rain gear in one pocket, puffy on top of water bladder in the other. Two belt pouches in the middle held kill kit and possibles pouch. Everything else in the lid

I'm another vote for the Nomad over the EMR II. It's not as complicated as some have claimed, the main reason I prefer it is the ability to carry my rifle in a scabbard centred and close to my back. I can retrieve my weapon with either hand and return it to the scabbard without removing the pack.

ffa28dbdfcb2caa866841fd112269255_zps0uzr2dzw.jpg

b3a63334da9f7b690d7dff87dbb7921e_zpszy4rtifi.jpg

welpro222

WKR
I thought about running my rifle in between the frame and pack, but I really like the Kifaru gunbearer. It keeps the rifle at ready while keeping both hands free for glassing or trekking with poles.

Torrey, I've used the nomad extensively and it is more versatile. That being said, I sold my nomad, and opted for a mountain warrior as I like just putting my shit in the bag. I used to use my nomad to haul 24 duck decoys, my shotgun, and my seat while walking into duck hunting spots in Idaho. Its great for carrying random things. If you're going to use it for whitetails, get the nomad. If its a strictly out west type pack, I'd say go with a big bag.

Emr for a do all. I love the nomad but it's best suited to a day hunting bag, it sucks as a multi-day. I've done the cargo panel thing as well. It sounds cool but the bags are better, I havent used my panel/pockets in 2 years.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Attaching and unattaching the camp bag just seems silly to me. What are you saving? If you are day hunting and dropping the camp bag that is when weight isn't as critical anyways. You can still run a rifle in the main bag just like you would with a scabbard but don't need to purchase the silly scabbard if you wish to run your rifle this way.

To Nomad solves a problem that never existed IMO. ;)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Torrey, I've used the nomad extensively and it is more versatile. That being said, I sold my nomad, and opted for a mountain warrior as I like just putting my shit in the bag. I used to use my nomad to haul 24 duck decoys, my shotgun, and my seat while walking into duck hunting spots in Idaho. Its great for carrying random things. If you're going to use it for whitetails, get the nomad. If its a strictly out west type pack, I'd say go with a big bag.

Agreed about putting stuff in a bag is easy. Thats the beauty of the EMR 2 you have the option to toss stuff in the main pouch or organize or strap an animal to the outside when you do kill something. Its all there and ready to use no attaching and unattaching things to save a 1/2-1 pound and such.

I have a mountain warrior as well but for a true hunting pack I prefer the ease of hauling animals out with the EMR 2. For general backpacking and such the mountain warrior is better, but for that I use lighter weight non-Kifaru packs anyway. I know I know whats wrong with me. :)