Stone Glatier Solo 3300

I got it in my head that this is the pack I need, but am willing to hear if there are better options. I will likely be making 5 day max hunts and am a minimalist( I don't cut my toothbrush in half...I don't carry a toothbrush at all). I am buying most everything used and can make my own shelter so I am willing to buythis pack new. I bone out my elk so three 80 pound loads is all I will carry.

sr80

WKR
The solo is a great bag, but take a look at the sky 5100 too. Once you have it all cinched up its about the same size as a solo plus you have a center zip for getting at your gear, which i find really handy. Just my opinion though.

bmart2622

WKR
The Solo is a great pack that will serve you well. I could load mine with 5 days if gear without using the load shelf. You can also add the lid and and access pocket for extra room as well and then leave those at camp. The load shelf is about tne best out there, very simple abd fast to deploy and holds the load tight to the frame without relying soley on the bag to compress the load.

If you bone your meat you have to be careful you don't barrel out the frame when you load the pack. Personally I think there are better options that will not barrel and will hold a load better in the load shelf if that is the way you pack. With the stone glacier packs you have to hold the entire load by compressing your bag and everything in it. I prefer to have a frame that has independent straps to hold a lot of the weight and then the bag compression straps do more stabilizing than anything.

I used a Solo this year with 7 days of food/gear this year. Alaska Range too, so not that minimalist. Spotting scope, synthetic jacket, Akto tent, etc. I added a lid for additional volume, and put the tent under the lid until I ate some food. Worked fine with a little room to spare actually.

However, I did make my own food, which cut volume significantly from using Mountain House. If you are packing those MH bags, the volume disappears fast. And an overstuffed pack is annoying.

I liked the panel access better than a center zip for a small bag. Fishing stuff through a center zip is good, but being able to open the whole thing up is even better. As noted, when the bag is compressed around meat it's harder to get into... most packs have that issue, whether it's meat on a shelf or meat in a bag. Not a big deal though. Just lay the pack down and loosen the top straps if you really need something. The top pocket is still quite usable with it compressed, so little stuff can go in there.

I'm not sure it's any "better" than a Sky 7400 in bivy mode (my other pack). I just happened to have it on the frame this year, and all the gear fit... so what the the heck.

tttoadman

WKR
The Solo Bag was the first setup I got. I bought for the size and the panel zipper. I can do about anything up to 10 days with it and some dry bags for side bags. The Big Kifaru lids fit really nice on these. I have since picked up an old terminus bag(6000) to get more volume with that setup. I can't say with certainty that the Solo will get too much use. I tend to just run the big bags all the time.

stephen b

WKR
Love the Solo! It s my most used pack by far. I would also get a 4500-5000 ci Solo style if one was made. Not sure for most trips that I would even need bigger than the Solo 3300 size, but for those that did I would use that style bag for 4500-5000.

I believe the Solo is the one Kurt uses the most- or at least it was. It was the bag and lay out that started the SG line. He has used it's size for many long trips.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
If you bone your meat you have to be careful you don't barrel out the frame when you load the pack. Personally I think there are better options that will not barrel and will hold a load better in the load shelf if that is the way you pack. With the stone glacier packs you have to hold the entire load by compressing your bag and everything in it. I prefer to have a frame that has independent straps to hold a lot of the weight and then the bag compression straps do more stabilizing than anything.

I agree this is a concern, but if you use their dry bag it really, really helps eliminate the barreling. If you use a round meat bag it most certainly barrels.

The other thing I'd say is the two upper straps on the meat shelf do a lot to support the weight. You do need the bag to act as a panel, but it certainly isn't carrying the whole load.

Here's a decently full SG meat bag I flattened against my frame this year, with no barreling - you can barely tell it's back there in the photo.
1ed4674bc806d4f685a96984c796de17.jpg

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
I used the solo for several scouting trips this summer and then a two day hunting trip this fall so far. I like to think I am a minimist, but then I end up taking my DSLR and tripod and several trail cams as well haha. If it is just pure hunting gear that I am taking, (no photo or scouting gear like a spotting scope), the solo is great. I did just buy the sky archer 6200 in anticipation of the late elk season, and thinking I might like a bit more space for thick layers. If you have all quality, very packable gear, the Solo would do fine for several days in the late season. I personally don't have all the best quality packable layers so I am looking forward to being able to stuff a coat in my pack with space to spare. I also like the 6200 cause I can put everything in it, with the solo I had my sleeping pad on the outside, which really isn't that big of a deal. All in all I love the bag, just selling it now as I can't justify having two SG bags around the house. My favourite part of it though is it makes you think about what you are taking, can't just stuff whatever you want in it.

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
Don't wish to hikack. Can you SG guys tell me whether the load shelf is a part of the bag, or part of the krux frame? Anybody have pics showing the load shelf? I've been to the website. Pics don't really show.

OP
T
I'm a bit confused about the separate frame/ bag systems. Is there separate belt/ straps for each, or just one belt and strap that is transferable from the frame to the pack. Seems to me that it would be extra wt carrying belts for each.