New Stone Glacier Avail 2200

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the Krux belt is definitely thicker and a little wider than the Avail, density not sure on

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mtwarden, how is the avail working out for you?

Excellent :) I racked up a bunch of pretty high mile days- about 10 days total, ranging from 12-18 miles (with lots of vert!)- very comfortable pack.

Plenty of room for a long day out- I carried some shelter bits just in case- a lwt Climashield quilt, ccf pad and lwt bivy, along with a fleece mid-layer, syn insulated jacket, fleece balaclava & mittens, 1.5 liters of water, lunch and snacks; in the lower inner pocket- my kill kit, the upper- first aid kit, headlamp, fire kit, tp, etc

I also carried a small spotter (Razor 11-33x50) in the pack and a light tripod lashed to the side

pack weighed right at 25 lbs and was comfortable enough you forgot it was on

I never got the chance to mate to my Krux frame (was sure hoping I would! :) )

I will probably add a couple of pockets to the waist belt and and a bottle holder on the side- should probably come with those imo

I'm headed out tomorrow backcountry skiing with it

in it's natural environment

spottingscope_zpsozfmz0um.jpg

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
it is; haven't had a chance to use it that way though- been too cold

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I've loved this pack so far for day outings. The outer panel works great for strapping down snow shoes.

Odd thing is, so far I can't keep that waist belt tightened, it just slips back loose after walking a quarter mile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmart2622

WKR
For those that have one, how do you think the Avaim would work for hauling the first load of meat out? Like maybe 30-40 lbs of meat?

OP
K

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
MT Wyatt, shoot me an email and we will be sure to get that hip belt dialed in for you. [email protected]

MTwarden - Great to hear the pack is doing well for you, thanks for posting the photos!

bmart2622 - Structurally, the Avail will handle whatever weight you can fit in it. The shoulder straps are exactly the same as the Krux frame with the same attachment, all materials are also the same we use on all of our heavy hauler bags so there will be no strength issues. The primary difference in load load hauling ability will be the frame is more flexible than the Krux, the frame is also shorter so the "load lifters" will not provide "lift" like the taller Krux frame, and the hip belt is also has a smaller footprint. We have had many customers using the pack exactly as you have mentioned (primarily deer hunting) with positive feedback.

Have any of you guys that have this pack strapped a bow to it using the compression panel? Does it sit high? I currently have the solo and 5100, I used the solo all elk bow season and was strapping my htx to it when riding my bike in and out. I'm really liking the looks of the avail, just curious about this. Thanks

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've loved this pack so far for day outings. The outer panel works great for strapping down snow shoes.

Odd thing is, so far I can't keep that waist belt tightened, it just slips back loose after walking a quarter mile.

it works pretty good strapping on the sides too :)

availwsnowshoes_zps7mnrw6nw.jpg

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Nice. I was hiking with another person using an osprey pack with those tiny buckles.....they questioned my 1" buckles all over the place. That is until we started strapping crap to packs.

Curious if anyone else running this has the belt thing like I described above? My guess is as good as any, same main buckle as I've ran on the frame.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the only thing I can think of is that possibly the webbing is routed wrong????, mine stays cinched

I am going to get the center pull setup though- just easier

it works pretty good strapping on the sides too :)

availwsnowshoes_zps7mnrw6nw.jpg

This is a photo I was hoping to see, thanks for posting this. I was just reading this thread thinking this pack looks like the answer to a pack I need for snowshoeing and snowmobiling and keeping in my truck as a hasty bag for SAR. Thanks Mtwarden,

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think this would make a great SAR pack!- bomb proof, ~ 35 liters of volume, comfortable hip belt & shoulder pads and a nice frame, with plenty of options for lashing gear

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I've been snowshoeing and skiing quite a bit with this pack lately - it really disappears behind you when you are skiing, the flex and low profile are quite nice.

I mentioned was having some issues with the belt slipping earlier in this thread....trying out a new 2" buckle Kurt sent, so far so good.

Looking to replace an Urban Zippy for daily carry as I need a few more cubes for my stufff. Any pictures out there of the bag as a shldr only setup, no belt?

Ok it looks like they are back in stock on the website so I ordered one tonight. I can't wait to get it and go snowshoeing. I also ordered a camp pocket for it.