New Stone Glacier Avail 2200

I just got back into town last night and I had a box from Stone Glacier waiting for me on my kitchen counter! At initial glance I think I am really going to like this pack. My use for it will be as a hasty bag for SAR, snowshoeing, dayhikes, and dayhunts. I'm gonna pack it up tomorrow in a few different configurations and I'll post up some pictures. I'll try and throw my bow on it and see how that works too. I purchased it with the camp bag and attached that easily to the interior of the pack. Having just come off a long flight I also got to thinking that this would make a nice carry on bag as well.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really think they hit a home run with the Avail, carries moderate weight loads very nicely- plenty of room for a long day out and lots of options for attaching gear :)

never thought about it, but agree would make a nice carry on

Tex68w

WKR
I am seriously debating picking one of these up to use as my daypack and replace my 3 Day Assault pack from Mystery Ranch. I want something smaller, lighter, better organization, and that doesn't scream military/tactical pack. I can see the appeal as a carry on as well while traveling.

OK, I didn't get as many pics as I wanted but someone asked to see the Avail 2200 with a bow attached. As light was fading I quickly threw something together that seemed realistic for a day hunt. I still haven't unpacked my gear from numerous trips this past season so I threw in a Nalgene, a JetBoil stove with two meals, my archery wrench and bow wax, my possibles bag, my kill kit, my MSR water pump, two headlamps, a Kuiu super down hooded jacket, a GPS, and a Delorme Inreach.

I had a camp pocket which I only had my electronics in and had plenty of room to spare, I only used one of the two internal pockets, and did not use the external pocket. For perspective the bow is a Hoyt Alphamax32. The bow rides higher than the pack but I am 5'10" and I was able to walk into my garage through the open overhead door without hitting anything. Like I said I quickly put everything together not being too particular in how I organized the pack. There was still room left over and if I took the time to properly organize I would be able to stuff additional items in there on top of that. I am impressed so far with this little pack. Maybe later tonight or tomorrow I will set it up for a day of scouting with my spotter and tripod.

On a side note, I forgot I left a bloody arrow that I shot my elk with in my quiver! On my next photos I will take them so they don't turn out sideways..

IMG_0786.jpgIMG_0783.jpgIMG_0784.jpg

mfolch

WKR
More Avail questions:

Are the frame and stays removable (e.g. for an ultralight edc or day pack)?

Along the same lines, how much weight does the avail frame add or subtract? Again, I'm thinking of ultralight daypack. 3+ lbs for carrying edc gear seems a bit extreme (says the guy who lugs a ~6lbs kifaru X-ray around with him in a daily basis).

Is the hipbelt removable? Obviously, I'm trying to trim as much off as possible.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
More Avail questions:

Are the frame and stays removable (e.g. for an ultralight edc or day pack)?

Along the same lines, how much weight does the avail frame add or subtract? Again, I'm thinking of ultralight daypack. 3+ lbs for carrying edc gear seems a bit extreme (says the guy who lugs a ~6lbs kifaru X-ray around with him in a daily basis).

Is the hipbelt removable? Obviously, I'm trying to trim as much off as possible.

Hipbelt is removable. Frame and stays have their own pocket that allows you to pull them out. I'm not sure what the internal frame weighs, but it's pretty minimal, it's just a sheet with two rods. So we're talking less than 8 oz I'm pretty sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll weigh the frame setup tonight.

Had the Avail out yesterday for a 15-ish mile snowshoeing trip :D

breaktime_zpsjmt9mgas.jpg

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Work conference and airline travel this week so I popped the hip belt off, works really well.
57fd4d7b6292274d605397fcab23653e.jpg

mfolch

WKR
Thanks for the photos! SG keeps on making a switch from kifaru more compelling by the day.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
as promised

frame/rod weight 5.2 oz

frameweight_zpsldgmxoh4.jpg

rods alone 2.2 oz

rodweight_zpswjbdtznh.jpg

belt weight 7.0 oz

beltweight_zpsgucpevet.jpg

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Took this pack out today, but switched things up and ran it on the frame - this is the first time I'd stripped the suspension off of the Avail and strapped it to the X-Curve. It was definitely a process, and there's a lot more extra webbing since the bag itself has straps sewn in itself, but all in all worked pretty well. I think the versatility outweighs the extra strapping effort.

9d7924e38c58d6a67bb014e6cf4aad5c.jpg

72042567446bd938a129109c778590e5.jpg

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
Took this pack out today, but switched things up and ran it on the frame - this is the first time I'd stripped the suspension off of the Avail and strapped it to the X-Curve. It was definitely a process, and there's a lot more extra webbing since the bag itself has straps sewn in itself, but all in all worked pretty well. I think the versatility outweighs the extra strapping effort.

Would you show me more details of this process without gear on it? Was thinking this exact thing.

MT_Wyatt

WKR

Would you show me more details of this process without gear on it? Was thinking this exact thing.

I sure will, might be a day before I can get to it, busy times at work......

After looking at the photos on the SG website I see a few differences in how I connected it the first time vs them.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Here are some photos - the main thing that's a little tougher with this set up is firmly keeping the bag on the frame - the lower frame attachment straps (above the load shelf attachment webbing) aren't on the avail since you wouldn't want those digging into your back while running the avail suspension (without the frame).

In the field photos I used the lower 2 straps on the frame through the avail's bottom 3 bar slider (these are the black colored ones), which pinned the bottom of the bag against the frame. That way is shown in the first pic. The SG photos appear to have it setup like I have it in the second picture below.

The other thing I noticed is you can use the 3 bar sliders that attach the avail hip belt to the bag to attach to the lower side compression straps on the frame (see third picture). Then the lower side compression strap sewn to the avail bag is routed through the 3 bar slider on the front of the bag, just as it would be if you weren't attaching the frame.

The upper two compression straps on the frame are attached to the buckles on the front of the avail bag - the side compression straps on the bag just get tucked between it and the frame. This is shown in the fourth pic. Note there is an extra 3 bar slider (green) shown against the frame. That's the attachment point for the shoulder straps, which just folds behind the bag when you attach it to the frame.

For the top attachment to the frame, all you have to do is route the frame's top compression straps through the bag's load lifter 3 bar sliders.

All in all I think it works fine, and you can route the bottom straps either way.

0b2ebfa6d2361008ad230f09af515abf.jpg

32c682f073fed1036f6ca18cb374d27a.jpg

223f28809a7168909182c2c10e737724.jpg

ba486a7df298143da9c896a46fbe0be8.jpg

Hope that helps. Probably tough to interpret without a video, I can shoot one later this week if my explanation is still confusing.

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
Makes sense. Thanks for the follow up. Would you guys agree that if you don't ever intend to use this with the frame and straps it comes with, you'd be better off with another pack? I have a nice ski pack already. Like the size of this pack, but leaning more toward the Approach at this point.

mmw194287

WKR
Makes sense. Thanks for the follow up. Would you guys agree that if you don't ever intend to use this with the frame and straps it comes with, you'd be better off with another pack? I have a nice ski pack already. Like the size of this pack, but leaning more toward the Approach at this point.

The Approach definitely fits more cleanly to the Krux/Xcurve frames, but I like the layout of the Avail bag just a bit better (mostly the full panel-loading zipper and additional built-in organization).

Weekender

WKR
Quick question...Not sure it's been asked yet but can you attach a lid to it? Has anyone used this as an overnight bag? How does it carry 40lbs.? I know its been stated that it can carry it but carry and comfort are to different things.

Thanks for info. looking to get it for my son as a good starter pack setup.

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can answer one question- it carries 40 lbs pretty nicely; as part of a fitness challenge deal they wanted you to carry a 40# pack 6 miles in under two hours; to make it more challenging I picked a route in the mountains that had close to 4000' of gain (along with snow, ice and slush). The pack carried great even when I had to jog a bit to insure I got under the time.

With the right kit I don't see any problem doing a night or two out.

I'm curious on the lid; I have one for my Sky- I'll play around with it and see.